Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Chiefs @ Panthers

STATS LLC Associated Press

Nov 09, 2016

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers can draw a degree of inspiration from the Kansas City Chiefs.

But how much weight that carries might depend on the result between the teams Sunday afternoon at Bank of America Stadium.

The Panthers have won two games in a row since starting the season with only one victory across their first six games. A year ago, the Chiefs were 1-5 before rebounding to make the playoffs.

"It has been done before," Panthers coach Ron Rivera said, referring to the Chiefs responding from a miserable start.

For as much commotion as Carolina quarterback Cam Newton has caused around the NFL the past couple of weeks regarding officiating and a dialogue with commissioner Roger Goodell, the Chiefs have their own quarterback news.

That's because Alex Smith, who missed a game with what was listed as a head/ear injury, will be back in action.

"I feel like I can go through a normal week," Smith said. "I'm pumped to get back and get going."

Smith missed the victory against Jacksonville, with Nick Foles filling in. But the Chiefs (6-2) count on Smith, and that's part of the reason why coach Andy Reid said he thought it was best that he take a week off after hitting his head hard in a game against the Indianapolis Colts.

The Chiefs look comfortable when Smith has been at the controls.

"He runs their offense very well and he has some pretty good weapons around him," Rivera said.

Smith also will have the services of running back Spencer Ware, who has been cleared from the league's concussion protocol. Wide receiver Jeremy Maclin (groin), however, will not play, joining defensive end Jaye Howard (hip) on the sideline. Linebacker Justin Houston (knee) is unlikely to make his return as well.

Having all the available big-play threats is something that the Chiefs figure they might need this week because Carolina's defense.

"It jumps out on film how strong they are," Smith said. "They've played a lot of football at a high level."

The Panthers (3-5) are coming off victories against Arizona and the Los Angeles Rams (3-5).

"You could say they're back on track," Reid said.

Still, the Panthers have an uphill climb in the NFC South, but it's not something they're consumed with at the moment.

"We've been focusing on one game at a time and that has been our approach and we're not going to change that," Rivera said.

The past two weeks, Newton said the Panthers have reaped the rewards that come with putting in the work.

"We knew we were doing the proper things," Newton said. "We were still trying to have the winning ingredients."

Newton has been at the center of what's an ongoing conversation regarding protection of quarterbacks, particularly after he called out NFL officiating for what he claimed was putting him in unsafe situations after the most recent home game.

Newton said he doesn't want to be caught up in that or other topics that could be distractions.

"My job is to win football games, not grade myself," he said.

Yet Newton's protection is one of the key components for Carolina's game plan.

"We've got to keep our pocket clean for our quarterback," Rivera said.

Newton said the Chiefs have "a very opportunistic defense and we have to control the line of scrimmage. I think that's one of the challenges of the game."

Newton said struggles on offense have popped up frequently, pinning the responsibility on the Panthers.

"We have to have answers," he said. "It doesn't matter what defense is called."

Carolina's injury situation seemed unclear, with center Ryan Kalil and linebacker Shaq Thompson listed as questionable.

Linebacker Thomas Davis' 12 tackles and one interception against the Rams were a boost for the Carolina defense while linebacker A.J. Klein filled in for Thompson.

Rivera said the Panthers appeared to be a fatigued team, something he attributed to coming off the West Coast trip. He said the energy level will need to be high by the weekend when encountering the Chiefs.

Rivera said he can tie some of his success as a coach to spending time on Reid's staff with the Philadelphia Eagles. Rivera was the linebackers coach under Reid from 1999 to 2003.

This will be only the sixth meeting between the teams, with Kansas City winning the most recent matchup 27-21 in December 2012 at home.

Cool, I'm picking the chiefs this time. Alex Smith is back in action, so he's gonna show the Panthers how a mobile QB should be. :p

:Chiefs: 30

:panthers: 20

Worst fucking collapse I've ever seen. Mike Shula needs to be fired right now. Panthers defense dominated them on the field the whole damn game. Throwing long bombs up 17-6 with their offense having done nothing. Going for a FG with the ball at your own 20 with :29 and zero timeouts and starting with a slant over the center. The fumble is on KB, ofc, but even if he catches it, they go up and spike, ball is at the 31 with what, :15 left? And zero timeouts.

Just an aside, but I'm sick and tired of refs just ignoring pick plays. Chiefs 2 point conversion, Kelce was wide open because the guy who was supposed to be covering him got taken out by the WR. That's completely illegal and the refs just don't seem to call it consistently. You can't pick people off like that.

Defense is finally playing up to par and the offense just shuts down.

Microcosm of Carolina's season: The Panthers had a franchise record 20 play drive... that ended with zero points after two straight sacks pushed them out of FG range. On both sacks, the O-line just completely missed their blocks. Two straight plays.

Carolina clearly missed Ryan Kalil here today, but they still should have gotten the win. Horrible horrible coaching and awful execution on critical plays, (lmao at the "attempts" to tackle Eric Berry on the pick-6), caused them to blow a game they never should have given the Chiefs a chance at.

To be fair, the only reason Carolina wasn't already losing was because Alex Smith was godawful. Missed at least two wide open WRs for what would have been TDs.

Edited by Thanatos

I'll keep the avatar through monday since thats when the bulk of games ends lol.

Saints are winning Thursday

Oh you can take it off, I don't give a shit.

And yes, they most certainly are.

Luke Kuechly is the only Panthers player worthy of support. I won't be changing it again.

There are no other Panthers fan on here. Just me. Here to watch my team get hopes up. Again. And fail because of terrible execution and coaching. Again. Over and over and over again, same cycle over and over. It's fucking stupid. This team has more talent than 3-6. They aren't SB contenders but they should be 5-4 with any semblance of a decent coach and players that know when to not force something. DA from the 1. Cam with a 17-6 lead today. You don't have to be a fucking hero when your defense and run game are doing well.

Come on now. TDavis, too.

Classic Panthers. Get a lead, then get conservative. How Ron Rivera earned the Riverboat nickname is beyond me.

Not today, no sirree. Thomas Davis let his emotions get the better of him and went and shoved Spencer Ware when he was out of bounds by a mile and cost the Panthers 3 points at the end of the first half.

But normally, yes, TD as well.

And Mario Addison is playing lights out, might be the best DE on our roster.

Edited by Thanatos

You guys have three players who give a shit? I am envious. The Packers had one today and he isn't even that good of a player. Davante Adams.

Eric Berry, Dee Ford and Marcus Peters should all get game balls...each of them really changed the game up in the second half.

I'll be damned when this defense gets Justin Houston back.

Their offense is putrid. Alex Smith was missing throws all day long. They simply won the battle of field position and turnover ratio.

If I were the Chiefs, I think I'd just roll with Nick Foles. At least he can throw downfield.