blotsfan

Titans vs Colts

Why do we even bother having an AFC South?

Through four weeks, the Tennessee Titans were tied for the fewest points in the NFL. Since then, coach Mike Mularkey's vision of "exotic smashmouth" has played out before everyone's eyes.
Last week's 47-25 clobbering of the Green Bay Packers marked the most points for Tennessee in a single game since 2009 and also capped a six-week stretch in which it has averaged 34 points per contest. What's more, the Titans have scored at least 35 points in each of the last three games.
"We're making less mistakes," Mularkey said. "We've been very good in the red zone and I think the biggest thing we've done is our third down. We've been very good on third down which has allowed us to put some of these drives together.
"We feel like we're very hard to defend based on all the things we do and when it comes time to put points up, we're putting points up."
Tennessee (5-5) will try to keep lighting up the scoreboard at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis on Sunday, when it will play the Colts in a key AFC South matchup. The winner will at least temporarily gain ground on first place Houston (6-3), which plays the Monday night game against Oakland in Mexico City.
Indianapolis (4-5) had last week off after dumping Green Bay 31-26 two weeks ago at Lambeau Field, leading wire-to-wire in probably its best performance of the year. The Colts' second-best outing this year might have been the first time they played the Titans.
With three offensive starters sidelined, Indianapolis established a 17-6 second-quarter advantage, saw Tennessee rally to take a fourth-quarter lead and then scored two touchdowns in an eight-second span inside the last two minutes for a 34-26 win.
It was the 10th consecutive victory for the Colts over the Titans, dating back to the 2011 season. And with everyone healthy after the bye week, Indianapolis is in theory fortified to keep its string of dominance going against its division rival.
"It still comes down to making plays against a good defense," Colts quarterback Andrew Luck said.
Despite absorbing 33 sacks and being under siege at times behind a leaky offensive line, Luck is enjoying one of his best seasons, averaging 285 yards per game passing with a 17-to-7 touchdown-to-interception ratio.
Luck dominated the Tennessee back seven last month, piling up 353 yards on 27-of-39 passing. Tight end Jack Doyle and wide receiver T.Y. Hilton took turns whipping defensive backs and linebackers in coverage, combining for 16 grabs and 211 yards. Doyle had the go-ahead touchdown catch on the first play after the two-minute warning in the fourth quarter.
It was one of the few games this year in which Luck hasn't been continually hassled by the opponents' pass rush. The Titans sacked him only twice and on most plays, Luck could have counted to "four Mississippi, five Mississippi" before throwing.
That was in stark contrast to last week, when Tennessee didn't have to worry about the threat of a run after roaring out to leads of 21-0 and 35-10 in the first half against Green Bay. It sacked Aaron Rodgers five times and hit him six others.
"Coach Mularkey has that team playing at a high, high level," Indianapolis coach Chuck Pagano said. "Just like we do, Tennessee knows the best way to get into the tournament is to win your division. It comes down to being efficient and executing in all three phases."
There was concern prior to last week's game that a turf toe was slowing down Titans running back DeMarco Murray, but he showed on the first carry that wasn't the case. His 75-yard touchdown run set the stage for another big game, as he rushed for 123 yards on 17 carries while adding the first touchdown pass of his career on a 10-yard halfback option toss to Delanie Walker.
Making Tennessee's offensive showing even better was that it occurred despite the ejection of left tackle Taylor Lewan less than five minutes into the game. Lewan was tossed for contacting an official during a scuffle after Green Bay's Letroy Guion drilled quarterback Marcus Mariota.
Mariota went on to throw for 295 yards and four touchdowns, earning AFC Offensive Player of the Week honors.
A similar performance Sunday could enhance the Titans' chances at their first division title in eight years.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Colts without question

I want to make a sad football avatar bet with someone

sad-football.jpg

Want to put it on this game? I've got a good feeling about my Titans today so I'm in if you can accept the bet by kickoff.

Colts without question

Lol

Still time for a Tits cum back

Gore is too good :smug:

The comeback is on :yes:

Pretty crazy this was the same Titans that just blew out the Packers last week. Lol.

They are barely recognizable as the same team. Titans started the game with a near 80 yard run last week. Their longest run of the day so far is 6 yards by their QB.

The Titans are a poorly coached team, so it's no wonder they went flat after a big win.

its because winning and losing meaning nothing is exactly why I picked the Colts.

You just don't like the idea that you aren't in control of your life.

If only they still had a competent coach like Feff Jisher

its because she's still eating the Titans hopes for winning

the Titans heard the fat lady before the season started lol its not like they were going to do anything significant to begin with

What you know and what you think you know are irrelevant

Looks like the Colts are trying to choke also.

These comments are gonna be real funny when we pull this off

oh,is this the part where i'm supposed to take it personal or care because you made fun of a team I liked since being a kid?

I dont care lol they obviously lose a lot but they wont today because the league wants the LA market happy

it is when you know the wrong things

Not making fun of the Rams at all just taking a shot at Fisher... well the Rams hired the guy so yes I'll laugh at the failures

its just false hope

Unless it's unfalse hope, in which case keep it coming.

Portland Winterhawks are actually a Junior hockey team. Anyway, good game here.

Pretty crazy this was the same Titans that just blew out the Packers last week. Lol.

Unfortunately divisional games come down to coaching, and we have a terrible one. The gameplan at the start made absolutely no sense, the Colts were clearly stacking the box against Murray, so what do we do? The first three drives all we did was run Murray straight up the gut. By the time we started getting creative with the play calling we were down 21-0.

Also, I hated the call to punt from their 43 down by 14.

Maybe not so much anymore.

Unfortunately divisional games come down to coaching, and we have a terrible one. The gameplan at the start made absolutely no sense, the Colts were clearly stacking the box against Murray, so what do we do? The first three drives all we did was run Murray straight up the gut. By the time we started getting creative with the play calling we were down 21-0.

Also, I hated the call to punt from their 43 down by 14.

It's the biggest problem with this offensive coaching staff, and has been all season.

Early in the season when Mariota was struggling and the run game was doing really well, we'd abandon it at random times and try to force Mariota in to a groove. Now that Mariota is dominating we force him to watch DeMarco run in to a 9 man wall because the defense knows what's coming and only allow Mariota to start throwing when we're down multiple scores.

If we would actually mix up our play calling early on and let Mariota take over some games early our offense would border on unstoppable given the way he's playing.

If we would actually mix up our play calling early on and let Mariota take over some games early our offense would border on unstoppable given the way he's playing.

you mean like we did against Green Bay?