blotsfan

Texans @* Raiders

RAIDERS VS TEXANS! MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL! WHY ARE NFL RAITINGS DOWN?!

Source

HOUSTON -- The easiest thing to do is to acknowledge the rising star power featured by the Oakland Raiders and acknowledge its role in landing atop the AFC West.

There is no denying that quarterback Derek Carr, receiver Amari Cooper, and defensive end Khalil Mack are integral to the Raiders' foundation. Oakland (7-2) emerges from its bye week on a three-game winning streak set to face the AFC South-leading Houston Texans (6-3) on Monday night in Mexico City's Estadio Azteca.
The Raiders' recent collection of early-round draft picks have emerged ahead of schedule and have matched expectations relative to their individual talents. But the Raiders have become the talk of the NFL thanks in no small measure to their depth, and a number of their rotation players were serendipitous discoveries.
The Raiders feature 19 undrafted players on their current roster and those players have combined to start 29 games this season.
Behind Carr, Cooper (58 receptions for 843 yards and two touchdowns) and receiver Michael Crabtree (49 receptions for 596 yards and six touchdowns), Oakland ranks sixth in the NFL in passing offense at 278.3 yards per game. The Raiders are even better in pass protection, pacing the league with Carr operating behind an offense line showcasing undrafted tackles Donald Penn and Austin Howard.
While Penn has started all nine games this season, Howard has made five starts at right tackle. Toss in undrafted rookie guard Denver Kirkland, who has made four starts as an extra lineman, and the Raiders have parlayed line stability into success.
"The number of (undrafted players) that made our team jumps out," Raiders coach Jack Del Rio said. "For us, it's been a process. It's not like all of a sudden we look up and we're shocked by it because we've been working with these guys and developing these guys and they've been giving great energy and effort every day."
What is vital to the Raiders is maintaining the momentum they've cultivated winning six of seven games. Their success has generated conversation throughout the league, and how the Raiders handle their lofty status atop the division will be revealed in how they perform against the Texans after their scheduled break.
"We've just got to get back in the swing of things and keep our same focus," Raiders defensive tackle Dan Williams said. "Right now, we're in good position to achieve our first goal, which is to win the West. I think everybody has the same focus. We've definitely matured from a year ago and I think we're going to get back where we left off."
Penn said, "Things are coming together. I can't wait to see where it's going to go."
The Texans removed one monkey from their collective backs by winning on the road for the first time this season, outlasting the Jaguars in Jacksonville on Sunday.
What should galvanize the Texans was the performance of their rushing offense against the Jaguars.
Before the break, Houston posted just 105 rushing yards against Detroit, its third-lowest total this season. The Texans rebounded for a season-best 181 rushing yards in Jacksonville to offset another subpar effort from quarterback Brock Osweiler and provide hope for an uneven offense moving forward.
"I think it's good," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said of the running game. "I think there's always things we can improve, but we ran for 180 last game and ran it pretty good against Detroit, so I think it's been good.
"But every week's different. This is a very, very stout defense. They've got big guys inside, good guys on the edge and fast, athletic guys on the inside at linebacker, so it's going to be a different challenge."
Mack has been a terror in the past four weeks, producing 18 tackles, six sacks, two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and a pass breakup. In a 15-12 Raiders win over the Denver Broncos last season, Mack sacked Osweiler five times.
Taking that exceptional individual performance into account, Osweiler and the Texans will have a keen eye on Mack.
"It's very important," Osweiler said. "You know, any time you play against a player like Khalil Mack, you need to respect what he brings to the table and you need to have answers for what he brings to the table.
"We're very fortunate to have a phenomenal offensive coaching staff here, led by (offensive coordinator George) Godsey and Coach O'Brien. I'm sure they'll have answers for him. But without a question, we are well aware of what Khalil Mack's capable of doing -- obviously I experienced it firsthand last year -- and we will have answers for him."

Can't believe the Texans are 6-3...

:Texans: 13

:Raiders: 30

Edited by RazorStar

Mexico :panic:

Will Fuller (leg) is active for Week 11 against the Raiders.

Teammate NT Vince Wilfork (groin) is also a go. Fuller practiced on a limited basis all week but is ready to suit up. He's hard to trust at less than 100 percent, especially coming off a string of bad games.
Inactive for the Texans are QB Brandon Weeden, WR Jaelen Strong, RB Alfred Blue, RB Jonathan Grimes, OG Josh Walker, OG Oday Aboushi, and DE Brandon Dunn.

Raiders declared WR Johnny Holton, QB Connor Cook, CB Dexter McDonald, CB Antonio Hamilton, OT Matt McCants, G/T Vadal Alexander, and TE Ryan O'Malley inactive for Week 11 against the Texans.

All six of the Raiders' players that were listed questionable are active.

this will be the beginning of the Texans sliding downward as the Colts lead the division within the next 2 or 3 games

Question, are you on your phone all the time? Have you seen our shoutbox?

I keep hearing how terribly biased the refs were toward the Raiders.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

I keep hearing how terribly biased the refs were toward the Raiders.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

They called Hopkins out of bounds on what would have been a touchdown run when replay showed he was, well, actually, IMO he was out of bounds. People disagree with me on that one.

The really egregious call though was on 3rd and short and 4th and short. Hunt got the first down by over a yard on 3rd and short. They called him short by six inches. O'Brien chose not to challenge this one. On 4th down, he got the first down by about a foot and they called him short by a hair. O'Brien did challenge this one and the refs said the play stood. Both plays were first downs and the refs were blind to not see either one.

The call came with 6:40 left in the game and the score tied at 20-20. On the ensuing drive, the Raiders scored the game winning touchdown.

Edited by Thanatos

They called Hopkins out of bounds on what would have been a touchdown run when replay showed he was, well, actually, IMO he was out of bounds. People disagree with me on that one.

The really egregious call though was on 3rd and short and 4th and short. Hunt got the first down by over a yard on 3rd and short. They called him short by six inches. O'Brien chose not to challenge this one. On 4th down, he got the first down by about a foot and they called him short by a hair. O'Brien did challenge this one and the refs said the play stood. Both plays were first downs and the refs were blind to not see either one.

The call came with 6:40 left in the game and the score tied at 20-20. On the ensuing drive, the Raiders scored the game winning touchdown.

This is all true.

But let's not act like the Texans decision to punt on their final meaningful drive shouldn't of been questioned either.