Sign in to follow this  
Sparty

Are players dropping out of their teams' bowl games going to affect the Playoffs?

Players are dropping out of their *relevant* bowl games now. Come on committee, now do your part and make the playoffs better so this stops happening. No one wants to watch a team make the bowls and then let their best players not even play. Bad enough you have some of the better bowl games on fucking January 2nd this year, a day where basically everyone has to go back to work...

No one cares about the Sun Bowl. Players are not going to sit out big time bowls that involve the National Championship game.

I don't agree with the decision to sit out, but you can't really fault them for it.

No one cares about the Sun Bowl. Players are not going to sit out big time bowls that involve the National Championship game.

I don't agree with the decision to sit out, but you can't really fault them for it.

You're not getting it. It's going to increase every year. Rose Bowl doesn't count this year, so anyone on USC and PSU or anyone going pro in the next few years in a "BCS" bowl game (that DOESN'T include the playoff) are eventually going to sit those games out as well eventually. It's going to trend.

Edited by Sparty

I don't think we ever have to worry about a player skipping out on playing a bowl game if they are in the "playoffs".

BCS bowl games in general, I can see that turning into a problem, but there's no way in the world I could ever imagine a player caring so much about his future in the NFL that he'd relish the chance to play in the "playoffs". Plus, there's little to gain in doing sol

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 1

You're not getting it. It's going to increase every year. Rose Bowl doesn't count this year, so anyone on USC and PSU or anyone going pro in the next few years in a "BCS" bowl game (that DOESN'T include the playoff) are eventually going to sit those games out as well eventually. It's going to trend.

No your not getting it. Who cares about those other bowls games.

Players on teams in the playoffs are not going to sit out. So who gives a fuck if Tommy Twochins sits out a none playoff bowl game.

No your not getting it. Who cares about those other bowls games.

Players on teams in the playoffs are not going to sit out. So who gives a fuck if Tommy Twochins sits out a none playoff bowl game.

Advertising companies, which, you know, pay money to have their ads run. You still dont get it. Ratings will go down, not up. Less money for everyone if this continues.

I am 100% with the players on this. These bowl games mean nothing to them if they're not playoff games. This is D1A's fault until they adopt the FCS playoff system and get rid of teams' cupcake games.

This is what happens when I try making a discussion. :badass: Sheep like Phil and Bucmin want to keep this shitty system? Bucmin I can understand, Phil completely missed the point I was trying to make, lol.

This is what happens when I try making a discussion. :badass: Sheep like Phil and Bucmin want to keep this shitty system? Bucmin I can understand, Phil completely missed the point I was trying to make, lol.

Where did I even hint at wanting to keep this system? And what point are you even trying to make? You have no clue what you're trying to get at.

I mean this line alone shows how clueless you are...

Bad enough you have some of the better bowl games on fucking January 2nd this year, a day where basically everyone has to go back to work...

the games that are typically on Jan. 1st are on the 2nd this year because the NFL Sunday slate of games are on Jan. 1st and the 2nd is a federal holiday. Easy enough to understand, pal.

No one is defending the system, if you read they are defending the players because the system is bad.

If I was playing in a meaningless bowl game, which honestly the fast majority are. When I am a player who has a shot at being drafted and being a pro, them I am going to miss the game. Why play and risk a potential injury that could fuck up all chances towards the combine, pro days and draft?

The system needs to change not players who are't getting paid, avoiding a meaningless game that could prevent them from making money in the future.

• Upvote 1

To Phil: Then have the games played on the next saturday instead of the 2nd. Not eveyone has that day off. And I was complaining that the NCAA needs to get their shit together like Bware said. You two were the ones bringing up players sitting out. I was bringing up saying it could finally make the system better. Never was I bitching about players sitting out, just that it makes the games less entertaining.

There is no day that everyone has off, but a federal holiday is a pretty safe bet. I know my work is closed Monday.

There is no day that everyone has off, but a federal holiday is a pretty safe bet. I know my work is closed Monday.

Gotta love the observed federal holidays :fgm:

NCAA athletes should get something for selling jersey's and merchandise and risking multi million dollar careers to play in games they make no money playing in so Phil made a good point earlier in the thread when he brought up pay.

I will say this though, I would want to play and I'm not sure how crazy I would be about players in the draft process who didn't have that competitiveness in them. I'm looking for guys on my team who just love to play the game and have a desire to win and be the best.

but that free educat :rofl: sorry, I couldn't finish that

• Upvote 1

To Phil: Then have the games played on the next saturday instead of the 2nd. Not eveyone has that day off. And I was complaining that the NCAA needs to get their shit together like Bware said. You two were the ones bringing up players sitting out. I was bringing up saying it could finally make the system better. Never was I bitching about players sitting out, just that it makes the games less entertaining.

Although I got that your original message was towards the system, the fact it was about the players missing these games is also a shade towards them.

I never even once mentioned the system lol.

Once again this weekend proved that players should be sitting out these stupid bowl games that mean nothing. Unless your in the playoffs..Your bowl game is not relevant enough to risk losing millions of dollars.

• Upvote 1