Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

2017 Coaching Carousel

Post any thoughts, rumors, thoughts on hot candidates, whatever you want. I'm going to keep a chart of hirings and firings in this post which I will only update when there's an announcement on NFL.com or an official team page. Don't let that slow you down from posting whatever theories you want, but I want to have this as a reference of what's official. I'll also warn that I'm not going to try to make this easy to read on mobile, if it's terrible I may adjust it, but it's hard enough to make it clean on the desktop.

Team-------2016 Head Coach (Interim)--------2017 Head Coach (old job)

Rams------Jeff Fisher (John Fassel)------------Sean McVay (Redskins OC)

Jags--------Gus Bradley (Doug Marrone)------Doug Marrone (Jags interim HC)

Bills---------Rex Ryan (Anthony Lynn)----------Sean McDermott (Panthers DC)

Broncos----Gary Kubiak---------------------------Vance Joseph (Dolphins DC)

Chargers---Mike McCoy---------------------------Anthony Lynn (Bills OC/HC)

49ers-------Chip Kelly------------------------------Kyle Shanahan (Falcons OC)

Edited by oochymp

I think McDaniels is a near lock for the Rams unless Belichick retires. He's proven himself well enough and the Rams would fall head over heels for a guy they think can "fix" Goff.

Jags bringing back Coughlin sounds like the move IMO. He's already shown interest from what I've heard, and he would bring some actual decent coaching that is needs it like a man in the desert needs water.

Bills take Dabo and draft Deshaun Watson. Punch that ticket again.

Tom Coughlin to a team like the Jags just doesn't make any sense. They don't need an 85 year old man. They need a coach who can be there for the rebuilding process. I don't think the Jags are one of those teams that's a coaching change away from being good. I mean, who knows, Coughlin could lead them to an AFCS title but what would that even really mean?

Mike McCoy is likely gone by next Monday.

Mike McCoy is likely gone by next Monday.

I think Coughlin to San Diego would be way more interesting. The Chargers could make huge leaps with the right off season tweaks imo.
  • Upvote 1

I think Coughlin to San Diego would be way more interesting. The Chargers could make huge leaps with the right off season tweaks imo.

They're already making a big leap. To Los Angeles. :troll:

Tom Coughlin to a team like the Jags just doesn't make any sense. They don't need an 85 year old man. They need a coach who can be there for the rebuilding process. I don't think the Jags are one of those teams that's a coaching change away from being good. I mean, who knows, Coughlin could lead them to an AFCS title but what would that even really mean?

Jags have some good pieces on defense. On offense they need a running back. And some help on the oline. If they fix that and had coughlin they could win 10-11 games next year.

It's more surprising that the Jags sucked that bad. We expected Cleveland to suck because they have nobody. Jags went out and got some good players and it didn't mesh with Bradley.

Ok real talk on the carousel:

I think there's a good chance 2 of the 3 current openings end up sticking with interim coaches: Lynn in Buffalo and Marrone in Jacksonville. It sounds like the Bills already have their sights set on Lynn, and while I expect Jacksonville to conduct a standard search, I think Marrone could be the guy.

In Los Angeles, though, there's no doubt they want to go as high-profile as possible. That's Josh McDaniels' job if he wants it, but he probably doesn't. So I'd look for the usual suspects to interview there: Matt Patricia, Teryl Austin, Vance Joseph, etc.

As for Black Monday, I shall predict the unemployed will be...

• Chip Kelly
  • Mike McCoy
  • John Fox

Agreed with the above, but I'll add Marvin Lewis to that list. It's time.

I think, given the injuries the Bengals sustained this year, Merv will get one more season.

Prediction: Kyle Shanahan will be the Chargers head coach next season.

They can move to LA if that happens.

So what do y'all think happens to the guys who've been canned? I think Fisher and Ryan are probably both out of football next year, but Bradley may land somewhere as a DC.

Fisher has to be done on the pro level, his record says it all. Could see him a college coach though

Ryan will get one more shot

Bradley will return to a position coach and reappear on the HC scene in a few years

I wouldn't mind Bradley coming to GB as a DC for a couple seasons. Jacksonville's defense looked fairly good 2nd half of the season.

Though it would mean changing the scheme probably.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Fisher has to be done on the pro level, his record says it all. Could see him a college coach though

Ryan will get one more shot

Bradley will return to a position coach and reappear on the HC scene in a few years

yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan resurface eventually, but I don't think anyone brings him in immediately

I think McDaniels is a near lock for the Rams unless Belichick retires. He's proven himself well enough and the Rams would fall head over heels for a guy they think can "fix" Goff.

What has mcdaniels ever done other than be a good offensive coordinator for tom Brady?

What has mcdaniels ever done other than be a good offensive coordinator for tom Brady?

Yeah and it's not like Tom Brady doesn't do a lot of McDaniels' job for him. Then again he's had time to go back to Belichick to learn how he runs his shape. Personally I would rather have Patricia as my HC if I was picking Hoodie under study.

They can move to LA if that happens.

Kyle Shanahan will be a good head coach IF he can get the right coaching staff behind him for the defense.

I feel like he can improve on an aging Philip Rivers and Melvin Gordon is an absolute perfect fit in the zone-blocking scheme (Hillman too) which could also mask the deficiencies that the Chargers have on their o-line. Plus the Shanahan offense really helps TEs exploit holes in zone defenses. (Gates and Henry will feed, especially in the redzone)

Tyrell Williams and Inman would work well on the outside, and I'm sure he could find a T.Y. Hilton-esque role for Benjamin for play-action bootleg deep passes.

Trust me when I say this, it may not be this next year, but the team that nabs Kyle Shanahan as their head coach and is willing to give him 2-3 seasons to get his roster set will be very pleased with the results.

Schefter dropping coaching news this morning:

Jets' coach and GM safe apparently.

Bears are expected to keep Fox and Pace.

Irsay unhappy with Colts coaches.

Schefter dropping coaching news this morning:

Jets' coach and GM safe apparently.

Bears are expected to keep Fox and Pace.

Irsay unhappy with Colts coaches.

Lol Bears.