SteVo

TGP NFL Award Ballot

We all know everyone else is an idiot. Let's see who TGP gives the major awards of the 2016 season to. Vote for one player or designate a top 3; your #1 choice gets 3 pts, #2 gets 2 pts, #3 gets 1 pt.

Most Valuable Player

1. :Falcons: QB Matt Ryan
  2. :Packers: QB Aaron Rodgers
  3. :Pats: QB Tom Brady

Rodgers would win this if he didn't have that awful start to the year. Brady's suspension counts against him just the same. So Matty Ice takes the crown. Nobody's really talking about Atlanta, but that offense has been incredible this year. Yes, he has Julio (who hasn't been healthy every game), but other contenders for this award (including and especially the two Dallas rookies) have too strong of supporting casts. Given this award is for most valuable, Ryan wins.

Offensive Player of the Year

1. :Cardinals: RB David Johnson
  2. :Pats: QB Tom Brady
  3. :Falcons: QB Matt Ryan

Since we're out of the MVP race, we can give this award to a non-playoff team guy. Johnson might have been the best player in football this year. Brady threw 28 TDs against 2 INTs; enough said. See above for Ryan.

Defensive Player of the Year

1. :Giants: S Landon Collins
  2. :Raiders: OLB Khalil Mack
  3. :Broncos: OLB Von Miller

I want to give this to one of the usual suspects (Mack/Miller), because their pass-rushing ability can change a game. But Collins has been all over the field this year. Watch any Giants game and you'll see his ability to change a game, be it with an interception, fumble, or simply a well-timed tackle.

Coach of the Year

1. :Pats: Bill Belichick
  2. :Chiefs: Andy Reid
  3. :dolphins: Adam Gase

Belichick had to deal with the Deflategate crap, Rob Gronkowski's injury, and he somehow knew trading Jamie Collins would turn out fine. If the playoffs counted for these awards, Andy Reid would never win, but credit him for a solid season in the league's best division. Gase has turned Miami around faster than anyone thought and finally made Ryan Tannehill look good.

Offensive Rookie of the Year

1. :Cowboys: RB Ezekiel Elliott
  2. :Titans: OT Jack Conklin
  3. :Cowboys: QB Dak Prescott

As an Eagles fan, I want very badly to not give this award to a Cowboy, but how can you? Zeke's production can't be ignored, and credit Dallas' O-line all you want. Both rookies are still getting it done. As for Conklin, #RightTacklesArePeopleToo.

Defensive Rookie of the Year

1. :Chargers: DE Joey Bosa
  2. :jags: CB Jalen Ramsey
  3. :Chiefs: DT Chris Jones

No one's heard of Jones, but all three of these kids are pretty much monsters already. Bosa wins because he's unblockable at times.

Comeback Player of the Year

1. :Packers: WR Jordy Nelson
  2. :Seahawks: TE Jimmy Graham
  3. :dolphins: DE Cameron Wake

I'm valuing injury comebacks more than bad-year comebacks, so guys like DeMarco Murray don't squeeze in there. I think this is Jordy's to lose.

Most Valuable Player

1. :Pats: Tom Brady
  2. :Falcons: QB Matt Ryan
  3. :Packers: QB Aaron Rodgers

1. :Raiders: OLB Khalil Mack
  2. :Giants: S Landon Collins

Coach of the Year

2. :Cowboys: Jason Garrett

1. :Saints: WR Michael Thomas
  2. :Cowboys: RB Ezekiel Elliott
  3. :Cowboys: QB Dak Prescott

1. :jags: CB Jalen Ramsey
  2. :Falcons: S Keanu Neal
  3. :Chargers: DE Joey Bosa

3. :Titans: RB Demarco Murray

Just want to throw it out there for someone who deserves it, Jordan Howard is probably my OROTY.

Offensive Rookie of the Year:

1. Jordan Howard :Bears:

Edited by Bay

MVP:

1. Matt Ryan :Falcons:

2. Aaron Rodgers :Packers:

3. Derek Carr :Raiders:

It's poor form to give a player who was suspended for any amount of time an MVP award, so Brady and Bell are off the mark. Zeke's impressive numbers would certainly be far less impressive behind an average offensive line, which kind of defeats the purpose of being the MVP. So taking out those candidates, and these guys are the most obvious choices. Derek Carr has been consistently strong, and carried the Raiders to their first post-season berth since the division realigned so I thought he deserved some merit. Rodgers has been balls to the wall in the second half of the season, and that might have been enough if he wasn't as rock solid as Matt Ryan has been for the entire season.

OPOTY:

1. David Johnson :Cardinals:

2. Aaron Rodgers :Packers:

3. Matt Ryan :Falcons:

I wish I could put in an honorable mention for Zack Martin, but guards never even get thought of for these awards, so whatever. David Johnson had an insane year, but it got left behind and forgotten about because Arizona's special teams blew a lot of games, and Carson Palmer helped lose some more. And I've already said my piece about Ryan and Rodgers, just giving a little more credit to Rodgers because he just makes hard throws look easy. Figure that's fair after giving Ryan the MVP.

DPOTY

1. Eric Berry :Chiefs:

2. Khalil Mack :Raiders:

3. Landon Collins :Giants:

So many good choices this year... and if Von Miller didn't go silent in the final quarter of the season, I would have just homered it up and put him in as the front runner. But clearly I can't do that anymore. Berry came back from cancer better than ever before and was just everywhere on the field. Khalil Mack had a slow start, but finished with fervor and fire, lastly Landon Collins made a big name for himself with hard hits, key interceptions, and crucial tackles.

OROTY

1. Dak Prescott :Cowboys:

2. Jordan Howard :Bears:

3. Ezekiel Elliot :Cowboys:

Dakota, easy. Look at the YPA, the low turnover rate, and just the difference in how the offense was run compared to when it was being moved by Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel last year. The difference is night and day, and not what you'd expect out of a rookie. Would Tony Romo in his prime have done better? Probably, but not by any significant margin. Maybe the Cowboys win that second game against the Giants with a good Romo, but other than that? You can't ask for better efficiency from your rookie QB. Hell, you can barely ask for better from your vets. Credit his offensive line for giving him time to throw, but he doesn't have as many dumb rookie mistakes as the other guys who saw the field this year. As for the Howard vs. Elliot debate, Howard was actually the better runner this year. You give Howard the holes Elliot gets and he's gonna hit them all the same. They were both outstanding this season, but Howard was making it work with far less in front of him.

DROTY

1. Jalen Ramsey :jags:

2. Joey Bosa :Chargers:

3. Eli Apple :Giants:

This is a two horse race, I just gave Apple the credit at the third spot because I didn't want to put two Jags on here, and Apple did prove me wrong. I thought he was going to be constantly caught out of position and burnt up, but that didn't happen very often. Good job BLUE, your team drafted the right guy. =O. But anyway, it was between Ramsey and Bosa the whole year. However Ramsey got to play the whole year, and did an admirable job shutting down the top receiver week in and week out. Since he got to play the whole season, my vote goes to him. I'm not taking anything away from Bosa though, who went ham and cheese in 12 games. His season was beastly, he just needed to be on a better team.

Coach of the Year:

1. Bill Belichick :Pats:

2. Adam Gase :dolphins:

3. Jack Del Rio :Raiders:

My top two were pretty much set in stone once the Dolphins officially made the playoffs. No one can dethrone Belichick, although sometimes they give the awards to different guys just for the change of pace. Your star QB gets suspended for 4 weeks? No problem, just clinch the 1st overall seed and 8th (it's 8th right) straight division title. Easy. Adam Gase turned the boys on the Dolphins into men, so that was good. Lastly Jack Del Rio's big cahones are responsible for a few of the Raiders key wins this season, and that's worthy of notice. Jason Garrett and Andy Reid are reasonable honorable mentions.

"Howard was actually the better runner this year."

:yes:

Zeke and Dak shouldn't win any awards behind that OL.

Most Valuable Player

3. :Pats: QB Tom Brady

Let's not get cute and overthink things here people...

3. :Packers: QB Aaron Rodgers

I think David Johnson is a super easy answer here. He was a complete threat all season.

2. :Raiders: OLB Khalil Mack

Collins did a little bit of everything this past year. Donald comes to mind as the guy I wanted to put at number 1, but Collins is playing the best on a stacked defense right now.

Coach of the Year

2. :Chiefs: Andy Reid

I think this one is rather easy, at least with the first place being Bill. The way the Patriots started off the season despite injuries and setbacks at key positions was impressive.

1. :Cowboys: RB Ezekiel Elliott
  2. :Cowboys: Dak Prescott
  3. :Titans: OT Jack Conklin

Easy answer.

3. :Chiefs: DT Chris Jones

Bosa was pretty good the moment he started playing, which shouldn't really come as a surprise. Jones came on in the second half of the season, and was pretty consistent.

3. :dolphins: DE Cameron Wake

Jordy came on strong in the second half of the season as well. He looked really good when he and Rodgers started getting in sync again.

Most Valuable Player

3. :Cowboys: LT Tyron Smith

I consider Tom Brady ineligible because he only played 75% of the season, which left me in a bit of a bind for #3 because there's a huge dropoff after Ryan and Rodgers, ultimately I went with Smith as a placeholder because I couldn't just list "Dallas Offensive Line."

1. :Saints: QB Drew Brees
  2. :Cardinals: RB David Johnson

I don't know why Brees isn't in the conversation, he almost silently had another 5000 yard season (5208 to be precise) and he did it while completing 471 of his 673 passes, good for 70% completion (okay, 69.98%) his 15 INTs leave something to be desired, but considering how many passes he threw and his lackluster supporting cast I think he gets a bit of a pass in this category (no pun intended) to be fair, I think I'm overcompensating a bit by putting him at #1 in my rankings, but he absolutely has a place in the discussion, just because we expect these volume numbers from him doesn't make them any less impressive

2. :Broncos: OLB Von Miller
  3. :Raiders: OLB Khalil Mack

Almost everyone has these three in some order, and it's for good reason, I'm not going to get overly creative.

Coach of the Year

1. :Cowboys: Jason Garrett
  2. :Pats: Bill Belichick
  3. :Titans: Mike Mularkey

Much as I hate to admit it, Garrett deserves this one, to keep that team chugging after losing their QB in the preseason and leading such a young core to as great of season as they've had is something I have to respect. As for Belichick, as I said with Brees we've come to expect the results, but that doesn't make them any less impressive. Mularkey needs to be in this discussion, I'm not quite willing to put him at #1, but we were so close to a playoff spot with a team most people expected to be using their own pick in the top five, as with Garrett he was leading a team that's very young at its most important spots and he completely changed the culture of a bottom feeding team.

1. :Titans: OT Jack Conklin
  2. :Cowboys:QB Dak Prescott
  3. :Bears: RB Jordan Howard

Call me a homer, call me a hater, I may be both with these picks. The fact that Conklin is an All-Pro as a rookie on the oline is incredible. I went with Howard over Zeke because let's be honest, anyone could have put up yards behind that Dallas oline, meanwhile Howard was only 300 yards behind him with absolutely no supporting cast. Maybe it's hypocritical to count the supporting cast against Zeke and not Dak, but I think the difference in the demands on the positions more than justifies the discrepancy.

3. :Giants: CB Eli Apple

A few people have already noted this is kinda a two man race, and it's a tough call, do you go with the guy who missed a few games early because of a contract issue, or the guy who had a handful of sloppy games (just looking like a rookie, not really terrible) I'm going with the consistency Bosa showed and giving him the slightest advantage over Ramsey. I had trouble coming up with a third so I just went with Apple, who was a huge part of turning the Giants defense completely around.

1. :dolphins: DE Cameron Wake
  2. :Packers: WR Jordy Nelson
  3. :Seahawks: TE Jimmy Graham

This is a tough call between Jordy and Wake. Jordy is number 5 in the league in receptions and number 6 in receiving yards coming off an ACL tear, he just picked up right where he left off. Wake had 11.5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles (a career high) and an interception (the first of his career) after tearing his Achilles last October, oh, and by the way, he's about to turn 35. Jordy will probably win it because offense, but to me Wake's recovery is more impressive, ACLs aren't as damaging as they used to be and Jordy had two extra months to recover, so I'm going with Wake. Graham's nearly 1000 yard season (923) coming off a ruptured patellar tendon is also rather absurd, but like with a few of these categories there's a sizeable gap after the first two. Also, honorable mention to Victor Cruz, he didn't put up the numbers to get much traction in this category with such strong candidates elsewhere, but it was great to see him back on the field playing at full speed, I think the production had a lot more to do with the guys ahead of him than his ability.

Edited by oochymp

MVP

1. :Falcons: Matt Ryan

2. :Packers: Aaron Rodgers

3. :Pats: Tom Brady

1. :Cardinals: David Johnson

2. :Cowboys: Ezekiel Elliot

3. :Falcons: Matt Ryan

1. :Seahawks: Bobby Wagner

2. :Raiders: Khalil Mack

3. :Giants: Landon Collins

Coach of the Year

2. :Cowboys: Jason Garrett

3. :Chiefs: Andy Reid

1. :Cowboys: Ezekiel Elliot

2. :Cowboys: Dak Prescott

3. :Saints: Mike Thomas

1. :Chargers: Joey Bosa

2. :jags: Jalen Ramsey

3. :Giants: Eli Apple

1. :Packers: Jordy Nelson

2. :Seahawks: Jimmy Graham

3. :Titans: DeMarco Murray

Edited by BC

Zeke and Dak shouldn't win any awards behind that OL.

Really? Yes they probably wouldn't have the numbers and success that they've had with out the line they have but come one man. Both have played to a ridiculous level as rookies and have been a huge part of the success the Cowboys have had. This is virtually the same line that Romo has been behind and they were no where near as good in previous years than they have been this year.

Most Valuable Player

Coach of the Year

Place holder till tonight.

Bangy pls. That offensive line made old man McFadden look good last year and the year before DeMarco Murray ran wild behind that line. The Cowboys went 3-1 with Romo at the helm last year.

Explanations and analysis will follow later.

Most Valuable Player

Matt Ryan, QB :Falcons:

Aaron Rodgers, QB :Packers:

David Johnson, RB :Cardinals:

Tom Brady, QB :Pats:

Ezekiel Elliot, RB :Cowboys:

Landon Collins, DB :Giants:

Khalil Mack, OLB :Raiders:

Aaron Donald, DL :Rams:

Coach of the Year

Bill Belichick :Pats:

Adam Gase :dolphins:

Jason Garrett :Cowboys:

Dak Prescott, QB :Cowboys:

Jordan Howard, RB :Bears:

Joey Bosa, DE :Chargers:

Jalen Ramsay, CB :jags:

James Bradberry, CB :panthers:

Jordy Nelson, WR :Packers:

DeMarco Murray, RB :Titans:

Jimmy Graham, TE :Seahawks:

Edited by Thanatos

MVP

Drew Brees

Offensive player of the year

David Johnson

Offense Rookie of the year

Tyrek Hill

Defense player of the year

Khali Mack

Defense Rookie of the Year

Joey Bosa

Comeback of the year

DeMarco Murray

Coach of the year

Jack Del Rio

Most Valuable Player

Matt Ryan, QB :Falcons:

Khalil Mack, OLB :Raiders:

Coach of the Year

Adam Gase :dolphins:

/

Jordan Howard, RB :Bears:

Deion Jones :Falcons:

Jordy Nelson, WR :Packers:

TGP has spoken. And the winners are...

Most Valuable Player: :Falcons: Matt Ryan

Offensive Player of the Year: :Cardinals: David Johnson

Defensive Player of the Year: :Raiders: Khalil Mack

Coach of the Year: :Pats: Bill Belichick

Offensive Rookie of the Year: :Cowboys: Ezekiel Elliott

Defensive Rookie of the Year: :Chargers: Joey Bosa

Comeback Player of the Year: :Packers: Jordy Nelson

Full Voting Results:

MVP: Matt Ryan 23, Aaron Rodgers 13, Tom Brady 6, Drew Brees 3, Derek Carr 1, David Johnson 1, Tyron Smith 1

OPoY: David Johnson 26, Tom Brady 8, Matt Ryan 6, Drew Brees 3, Ezekiel Elliott 3, Aaron Rodgers 3

DPoY: Khalil Mack 20, Landon Collins 16, Von Miller 5, Eric Berry 3, Bobby Wagner 3, Aaron Donald 1

CoY: Bill Belichick 19, Adam Gase 10, Jason Garrett 8, Andy Reid 5, Jack Del Rio 1, Mike Mularkey 1

ORoY: Ezekiel Elliott 16, Dak Prescott 13, Jordan Howard 8, Jack Conklin 6, Michael Thomas 4, Tyreek Hill 3

DRoY: Joey Bosa 21, Jalen Ramsey 16, Eli Apple 3, Deion Jones 3, Chris Jones 2, Keanu Neal 2, James Bradberry 1

CPoY: Jordy Nelson 20, Jimmy Graham 10, DeMarco Murray 7, Cameron Wake 5