Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Kirk Cousins' next contract will be...

Yeah, Cousins is a really solid QB. The 2nd overall pick is a lot, but I don't see anyone in this draft class reaching the level that Cousins has short of maybe Watson, and even then he needs a lot of work and if he were a guy I'd pick, it wouldn't be in the first round.

It's one pick and in this QB class Cousins would be preferable to those options.

Uh... no. Kizer and Trubisky > Cousins without question.

Fuck, you could get Kaaya in day two.

Chad Kelly maybe round six or seven.

No way you can trade the #2 for Cousins. Insanity.

Hell, you could get three first rounders for the #2 pick if a team falls in love with a QB and you're not a fan.

Edited by Chernobyl426

You seem to be the only person who's high on this QB class man. My grandfather loves Note Dame. Kizer is the one QB in this draft class i'be seen a lot of and I never really came away overly impressed by him. I'be also seen a lot of Cousins being that he plays in the NFCE. He throws bad picks from time to time but there has to be something said for a guy who was a 4th round pick and has never had the full support of his organization but continues to prove haters wrong and battle through adversity. The QB position comes at a premium and drafting and developong a good QB is so hard to do. If you can get a guy who's younger and has a somewhat of a sustained level of success you go get him.

It really depends on how the next GM and HC view the QB class. I'll concede it would be dumb to do before you fill those positions, but Cousins has already had more success than a lot of guys taken that high in the draft and imo that can't be discounted.

The 49ers need so much help though. What does getting a QB like Cousins in the middle of his career do for you? Raise you up to an OK or mediocre team? What is the point? They need the draft picks, in my opinion. Take a couple QBs maybe.. Sign a bunch of free agents (talking the UD variety), take another QB next year.. And in 3-4 years hope that when your team is beginning to mature and come together that you hit on a proper QB. If not, then you can go out and get somebody like a Cousins, just 3-4 years younger.

• Upvote 1

You seem to be the only person who's high on this QB class man. My grandfather loves Note Dame. Kizer is the one QB in this draft class i'be seen a lot of and I never really came away overly impressed by him. I'be also seen a lot of Cousins being that he plays in the NFCE. He throws bad picks from time to time but there has to be something said for a guy who was a 4th round pick and has never had the full support of his organization but continues to prove haters wrong and battle through adversity. The QB position comes at a premium and drafting and developong a good QB is so hard to do. If you can get a guy who's younger and has a somewhat of a sustained level of success you go get him.

It really depends on how the next GM and HC view the QB class. I'll concede it would be dumb to do before you fill those positions, but Cousins has already had more success than a lot of guys taken that high in the draft and imo that can't be discounted.

Even if you're not a fan of Kizer, Trubisky, or Watson. There is going to be at least one team out of the 10 or so that need a quarterback that will LOVE one of those guys. If the Browns are taking Garrett #1, you have the most important position in the entire draft. Someone wants Kizer, Trubisky, or Watson? Give us three firsts. No? Give us two firsts and a second. So on and so on. With the value of the draft positioning, you're trading more than the #2 overall pick for Kirk Cousins. You're trading the potential to get three or four more good selections for the spot.

If I'm the Redskins and I get this deal offered to me, I trade Kirk immediately and either sit down on a QB I love or trade it away again for a bucket of picks.

• Upvote 1

Zero percent chance the Redskins trade Cousins for a package that involves drafting a new QB. We're not playing Madden, fellas.

• Upvote 1

If you think you have an opportunity to acquire a franchise QB, you fuckin' take it, point blank. If you believe Cousins is that guy, you do anything to get/keep him.

Yeah, Cousins is a really solid QB. The 2nd overall pick is a lot, but I don't see anyone in this draft class reaching the level that Cousins has short of maybe Watson, and even then he needs a lot of work and if he were a guy I'd pick, it wouldn't be in the first round.

Mitch Trubisky? Watson is a project, in my opinion.

I can't decide if Kirk is legit or not. His stats are nice but anytime I watch him I come away feeling underwhelmed. And he still only has one or two good wins on his resume.

Edited by BJORN

His contract will be insane, his stats back up a big deal but I can't see him ever truly being an elite QB. But the Redskins don't have much of a choice.

I can see where Cherry is coming from though, there's a possibility of trading back, and still grabbing one of the three top QB's. Hell they could potentially grab Watson top of the second, trade back and get Fournette or an elite defensive prospect. When they bring in Shannahan they turn into one of the teams that knows Cousins best along with The Rams and Skins themselves.

At the end of the day though if all it takes is one pick to snag a franchise QB and you keep the rest of your picks it seems like a solid move. Cousins has gotten better every year as the starter and they have enough money to get him some free agent talent.

Edited by seanbrock

If I'm the skins and have a high grade on one of the top QBs I'd certainly trade Cousins in a package to get a QB. IMO a cheaper Kizer or Trubisky + a package of picks is way better than overpaying Cousins and picking in the middle of the first round.

Edited by Chernobyl426

Washington damn near made the playoffs this year. Kirk isn't the problem.

Cousins is the upgraded version of Andy Dalton imo. He's in the 11-15 range of qbs in the nfl. So if u have a too half qb on your team, chances are u will have some success. I'm not a fan of overpaying but that's the market we are in.

Cousins to the 49ers would be huge for them. If they grabbed some wrs they could make a jump back into respectable again.

You can win a super bowl with a QB in that talent group though. The Ravens won with Joe Flacco. It's pretty damn hard in the current NFL to do much of anything with a bad QB. The Broncos did it but you have to have a defense with a few hall of famers on it. Hell, the Bucs had like 4 or 5 (Rice is borderline) hall of famers on their defense at one point and couldn't get over the hump until they got the good but not great Brad Johnson.

You can win a super bowl with a QB in that talent group though. The Ravens won with Joe Flacco. It's pretty damn hard in the current NFL to do much of anything with a bad QB. The Broncos did it but you have to have a defense with a few hall of famers on it. Hell, the Bucs had like 4 or 5 (Rice is borderline) hall of famers on their defense at one point and couldn't get over the hump until they got the good but not great Brad Johnson.

Historically, those teams are the anomalies and, like you said, required multiple HoF players on the D.

While I think that trading Cousins is the wrong move, I agree with Cherry that if they think they have "the guy" in the draft and can move Kirk for him, shit, you might have to do it. This assumes you truly believe Cousins has a ceiling of 11-15.

Historically, those teams are the anomalies and, like you said, required multiple HoF players on the D.

While I think that trading Cousins is the wrong move, I agree with Cherry that if they think they have "the guy" in the draft and can move Kirk for him, shit, you might have to do it. This assumes you truly believe Cousins has a ceiling of 11-15.

That's essentially the basis of why I believe that you should always look to upgrade at QB unless you have a truly great QB on your team. It's incredibly difficult to win a ring without a star QB. The final four this year are a great example of that. Brady, Ben, Rodgers, and Matty are all guys that have the talent to carry you to a SB berth and potentially even a ring. Those guys don't come around very often, and if you can avoid paying Kirk 17m a year and trying to load up on talent to win from the trenches, you might as well ship him away for the #2 overall pick and get a haul of picks or take a QB you love. I'd be more than happy as the Skins if I get to keep #17 and take a guy like Jerod Evans or Deshaun Watson there if I get a haul of picks as well.

Trading a young QB on the upswing for an an unknown just seems kind of dumb though. Especially when it's not even clear we'very seen the best of him yet. He's only been the starter for 2 years and he was better this year than last year.

If you think Kirk is going to be an eternal 11-15 QB why pay him 17-20m a year? Carson Wentz went #2 last year and is on a 4/26 contract. If you believe Trubisky, Kizer, or Watson can be at least a decent QB from the start it's more than convincing enough to go from a 5/100 deal that Kirk wants to a 4/26 with maybe more picks. If you don't pay him he's leaving in FA for a third round comp pick down the road or getting franchise tagged to make even more money per year.

I would love the Redskins to make a ballsy move like that, but they won't. I don't think any team would, except maybe the Patriots, because they don't give a fuck.

I see Cherry's logic, though. If the Redskins see Cousins as a B/B+ quarterback and firmly believe they won't win a Super Bowl without an A- quarterback or better, it makes financial sense.

But again, it's unlikely. Everyone in the NFL knows that quarterback and head coach are the most important positions in the organization, and there is a standard that if you have a QB/HC who fits in the "good, not great" category, you don't fire/trade them until you absolutely have to. In other words, teams don't risk signing/drafting a bust by parting with someone they know is good. See: Andy Reid, Marvin Lewis.

• Upvote 1

Fixing a bad defense is easier and a better use of resources than upgrading on an already good QB.

• Upvote 1

Fixing a bad defense is easier and a better use of resources than upgrading on an already good QB.

Tell that to every team with a terrible defense but a good QB who can't pull them over the hump. :badass: My Kizer love is probably blinding me to what the Skins could do if they get the #2 for Cousins, but I strongly believe if you have a chance to upgrade at a significantly lower cost you take that opportunity without thinking twice.

I just look at it as a simple yes or no question.

Is Kirk good enough to win with? Obviously he is, he almost took the Redskins to the playoffs with no defense.

Trying to upgrade on Kirk is also bad because it pulls resources away from upgrading that defense.

In short, I really don't see a reason to get rid of him.