Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Diluting Expression

I think the reason this isn't getting more responses is the text format. :think:

• Upvote 2

I copy and pasted it from my own blog post. I thought it looked the same on my laptop but I was distracted.

In general, I've found that the people who complain about today's PC culture are the ones who are looking for excuses for it to be OK for them to be assholes. And that society should just accept it.

I am a Christian male who disagrees with the LGBTQ+ movement on virtually every subject... Who believes that the only real religion is Christianity... Doesn't support abortion... Etc.

If I've managed to live in Eugene, Oregon, and be friends with gay people, Muslims, etc who know how I disagree with their life choices. If I, someone who believes you are what God made you and not what you think you are, can still call a man a woman because that's she wants to be called (regardless of how ridiculous I think that is)... Then there's no real argument for why someone should get bent out of shape over being told (for example) don't say "Redskins" because it'll offend certain people. It simply means that people aren't willing to be sympathetic of others. At least in my opinion.

I do think that there will be a time where the PC movement will have serious negative implications in our society, but that time hasn't arrived yet.

Hell, someone here got mad at me for wishing them a Merry Christmas.

But as a whole, I disagree, and in general, I've found that it's the people who are angered or offended that their lack of sensitivity to others shouldn't be tolerated tend to be at fault and should simply develop better perspective.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

No, there are reasonable people who exist in the liberal movement. The issue is with people who want to scalp you if you happened to vote for Donald Trump instead of Hillary, or who want to paint with the brush of fascist, bigot or misogynist for doing something harmless that they disagree with.

Nutjobs like Zarna Joshi and Annaliese Neilsen, who consider it their duty to find offense at the most minor things and harass the ever living daylights out of everyone else until they're vindicated. And the problem these people is that they are so loud that you have no choice but to hear what they're saying, even if it's complete bullshit.

Edited by RazorStar

The issue with the SJW culture and the angry left wing is the same issue as the angry right wing. It's a group of extremists who simply want to crush any opposing ideology through force. SJWs are out to censor "hate" speech supposedly for the sake of being politically correct and preventing hurt feelings. The issue with this is it allows true suppression of free speech.

I had a discussion with a legitimate anarcho-communist a few months ago. He literally advocated for the extermination of the rich, the powerful, and the capitalists. I quickly noted that I was a capitalist and asked him why I should be killed for an ideology. He simply shrugged it off and tried to explain that I wouldn't be killed because I'm not a "bad capitalist."

This is an example of what happens when you allow radical thinking to grow. It's easy to paint with a broad brush and say you'll do things well. But in reality these actions have consequences. Silencing free speech has consequences. Eliminating classes of society has consequences.

The Alt-Right has a lot of the same issues developing right now. It's turned from a bunch of jokers making memes into a bunch of legitimate fascists. Fascists who believe that those who do not share their exact world view should be killed immediately.

It's the duty of moderates on both sides to reign in extremists. It is the duty of moderate liberals to reign in SJWs. It is the duty of moderate conservatives to reign in fascists like those in the Alt-Right.

I'm a pretty liberal guy as some of you might know. In my mind this is one of those "opinions are like assholes" deals. The PC movement is basically just a very vocal minority of people. Same as the religious fundamental movement. I think for the most part people understand what's acceptable and not. I think the best way to combat people like that is to not back down and just laugh at them and ridicule them like South Park did lol.

I'm a pretty liberal guy as some of you might know. In my mind this is one of those "opinions are like assholes" deals. The PC movement is basically just a very vocal minority of people. Same as the religious fundamental movement. I think for the most part people understand what's acceptable and not. I think the best way to combat people like that is to not back down and just laugh at them and ridicule them like South Park did lol.

You really think this after the last two years? :think:

Yeah because the people who say dumb shit are lavished with attention because it seems moral outrage sells. Think of it like TGP trolls. 95% of us are here to hang out and talk sports but look at how much people cry and get butt hurt from one troll like Phil Elliot.

Edited by seanbrock