ATL_Predator

R4E's Defensive Big Board 2017

Greetings comrades.

This off-season, I will be analyzing and reviewing the tape of ALL defensive prospects declaring in this upcoming years NFL draft.

As you all know, I love me some defense, and I love studying and projecting how these young bulls out of college will pan out.

First I will rank by positions first, then by combine time all the positions will be done and then the big board ultimately will be compromised.

Stay tuned...

• Upvote 2

Well ain't this about a bitch and a dollar bill...

The NFL Draft forum is making a comeback.

Now I feel like I need to make one of these threads of all the prospects I've looked at. Smh

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 2

To kick this off, I'd first like to break down the format I will be using to evaluate players.

Each position will have different grading styles, but overall at each position we will have

Name/Position Group/School

Ht/Weight/Age

Pros:

Cons:

Off-Field Concern:

Overall:

Projected Round(s):

Keep in mind that these players aren't in any specific order until closer until the draft, so this is more of showing you the prospects...

And for the next couple of days I'm going to be focusing on interior DL across the country... and first we are going to start in the SEC...

• Upvote 1

This is our first prospect we'll be looking at...

Adam Butler/Interior Defensive Lineman/Vanderbilt

6'5''/ 295 LBS/Senior

10586029.jpeg

Pros: Has a great motor, good effort player. For a guy who is asked to play the nose at a smaller listed weight than most tackles in a 34, he did a hell of a job. Great use of hands, quick off the line, and one he's in the backfield his closing speed is sneaky good. Plays with a low center of gravity when he's rushing the passer, really uses his pad level and smaller size to his advantage. Decent in both the run and pass game.

Cons: His upper body strength leaves much to be desired, might have some trouble at the next level. His pass rush moves are pretty basic. Nothing fancy, he has a very slow spin move he throws in once a game, but it's not very effective. He struggles a lot with shedding blocks. For a guy that you want in the middle of your 34 defense.. he doesn't command double teams, which is an issue, a rather big one at that. Once his opponent squares him up, it's pretty much a done deal. Also, struggles with mobile QB's, takes a lot of bad angles.

Off-Field Concern: None

Overall: He was a great commodore, I believe he can work his ass off to become a average DL in the NFL, but it's going to take a lot of work, and he won't see initial success. He's a bit of a project but he has some nice building tools.

Project Round: 5-7 (most likely to the latter)

• Upvote 1

Next Up:

D.J. Jones/ Interior DL / Ole Miss

6'0''/321lbs/Senior

7917640-980x.jpg

Pros: He plays big, at 321 lbs, he's got a bit of upper body strength as you'd expect. You can leave him 1 v 1, but if he outpowers his matchup, he's going to make a push into the backfield. Takes up space.

Cons: Very.. Very raw player. Also a little short for the position and doesn't have good pad leverage. He doesn't really have any moves, is your typical big guy in the middle, seems rather lazy or uninterested, not really sure. No moves outside of his bull rush, and for his size you'd expect him to be more disruptive. Slow off the LOS, below average hands... footwork? Well that's just out the window with him.

Off-Field Concern: None

Overall: He's your typical big man that hopes to make it to the next level because of his size and average upper body strength that has carried him through HS and College so that he takes up space. The next level, everyone is bigger faster stronger. Doesn't seem to be much of an athlete and don't see his a real drive or motor in him.

Projected Round: 6th or 7th, possibly UDFA, but will make a team even if it's the practice squad.

Edited by Raider4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Next:

Davon Godchaux/ Interior DL / LSU

6'4'' / 293 lbs / Junior

davon-godchaux-todaysu.com_.jpg

Pros: When it's gametime. It's game on with this guy. Watching him play in the first half he is an absolute monster. Wreaking havoc in the backfield and getting to the backfield in a variety of ways. Mainly between his rip and swim moves, he's very strong with his hands and shows some good technique when rushing the passer. In the run game, he MOVES people. He does so in the pass rush too, but the way he can shed blocks at times is impressive.

When he's required to stunt, he does a hell of a job, and when he gets to a double team? He finds a way to either split it or bully one blocker and moves on to the next rather quickly

Cons: Overpursues, doesn't seem to have a motor when he gets tired. Looks lost when plays get a little exotic or breakdown. Towards the end of games (that are close) I notice when the ball reverses fields and he's (out of the picture) he kinda just chills. Also. I didn't watch all his games, but by the end of the 4th he is absolutely gassed and doesn't get a good jump off the LOS. He's usually the next to last, or last guy off the line when the play starts.

Off-Field Concern: He was arrested this past year for a domestic incident with his gf and endagerment of a child...

Godchaux is accused of pulling his girlfriend's hair, throwing her onto a couch and preventing her from leaving their apartment with the couple's 10-month old child.

During a physical altercation described in the report as a "short tussle" the victim said she fell on Godchaux's TV, which was partly shattered.

Deputies handling the complaint said they noticed the victim had a noticeably swollen lip and a red mark near the front of her throat, approximately 2 inches in diameter. She refused medical attention, the report said.

The deputies said Godchaux told them there was no altercation. He said he asked the victim to leave his apartment after an argument about another woman and that she refused because she was so upset, according to the report. He said the TV was shattered when he kicked it.

Deputies observed Godchaux, who wears braces, had gums that were cut up but he said the victim did not strike him. He said he never prevented her from leaving.

Overall: I believe he can play anywhere on the line and succeed in most systems, he has a variety of moves and strength to make life hell in the backfield on run or pass plays. He has a good amount of potential, and with the proper coaching and people around him, I believe he could be a difference maker on Sundays. His versatility is what will get him moving up people's boards.

That domestic incident could be a little off putting to some however. Whenever there is a child.. and physical evidence that there was some sort of altercation between a male and a female...it doesn't look good.

Projected Round: 2-mid third

• Upvote 1

I wasn't a big fan of Godchaux on first look. He seemed like a 3-4 DE who doesn't stand out with his power in the run game, and doesn't do a great job at getting after the quarterback. He just seems to play small for a 3-4 DE but doesn't have the necessary speed and hands to play at 4-3 DE. Still a solid prospect, but I think he's a mid-day three guy.

D.J. Jones was fun to watch. I'm pretty sure I have him as my highest graded 3-4 NT right now over guys like Josh Augusta and Tyrique Jarrett. He's way better as a stationary guy who fills up space, and IMO he does a great job at anchoring the defensive line. He's not a pass-rusher by any means, but if you want a bulky guy in the middle who clogs holes he is your guy.

Very excited to see you bringing out the defensive big board so I can compare notes. I'm on the guard section of my schedule, but after another week of guard reports and a week of center reports I'll be fully moved onto defensive prospects starting with defensive line guys. I think you'll love guys like Caleb Brantley and Myles Garrett.

One guy who I have very high that I don't see many other people liking a lot is Florida DT Joey Ivie. Check him out. Very solid pass-rusher in my opinion, and he's criminally underrated due to the depth of talent on that Florida defense.

Another guy I liked in my first look was Purdue DT Jake Repogle. Worth checking out. Very disruptive guy who does a great job at getting pressure from the inside.

Edited by Chernobyl426
  • Upvote 1

I wasn't a big fan of Godchaux on first look. He seemed like a 3-4 DE who doesn't stand out with his power in the run game, and doesn't do a great job at getting after the quarterback. He just seems to play small for a 3-4 DE but doesn't have the necessary speed and hands to play at 4-3 DE. Still a solid prospect, but I think he's a mid-day three guy.

D.J. Jones was fun to watch. I'm pretty sure I have him as my highest graded 3-4 NT right now over guys like Josh Augusta and Tyrique Jarrett. He's way better as a stationary guy who fills up space, and IMO he does a great job at anchoring the defensive line. He's not a pass-rusher by any means, but if you want a bulky guy in the middle who clogs holes he is your guy.

Very excited to see you bringing out the defensive big board so I can compare notes. I'm on the guard section of my schedule, but after another week of guard reports and a week of center reports I'll be fully moved onto defensive prospects starting with defensive line guys. I think you'll love guys like Caleb Brantley and Myles Garrett.

One guy who I have very high that I don't see many other people liking a lot is Florida DT Joey Ivie. Check him out. Very solid pass-rusher in my opinion, and he's criminally underrated due to the depth of talent on that Florida defense.

Another guy I liked in my first look was Purdue DT Jake Repogle. Worth checking out. Very disruptive guy who does a great job at getting pressure from the inside.

Thanks dude... I like DJ, he def is a space eater. Fucking fatass :p

Spoiler... the overall really has no hint on where I actually have them ranked on my big board :smug:

Thanks dude... I like DJ, he def is a space eater. Fucking fatass :p

Spoiler... the overall really has no hint on where I actually have them ranked on my big board :smug:

I know I shit on Andrew Billings quite a bit last year, but I really do love the big guys who take up space. Just a matter of draft value. A lot of my big boys are lower on the totem pole because of their position and there haven't been any beasts like Billings was last year. For a league that has quite a few 3-4 teams there aren't nearly enough fat bastards like DJ in the middle. :smug:

I'm just basing it on your projections :badass:

Next

Caleb Brantley/Interior DL/Florida

6'2''/ 297lbs / rJR

caleb-brantley-florida.jpg

Pros: He's a monster, a playmaker. Quick, Athletic... He is constantly in the backfield. His run defense is very impressive. He reads blocking schemes well and when he can't make a play, he finds a way to make a way so someone else can. In the passing game, he's just as disruptive. His closing speed is nasty. There was one play against FSU where he was triple teamed and he still was pushing lineman. His use of hands are good, he never takes plays off. Good variety in moves to get after the QB.

Cons: There's not many, but if there's one thing I saw... his spin move. It's rather slow...and he never seems to be able to fully complete it. Blockers seem to effectively stop him when he does it 95% of the time. He does overshoot some plays, which I don't see as a negative as much if he weren't getting any push at all.

Off Field Concern: None

Overall: This guy has the potential to be a wrecking ball in the NFL. He has all the tools to become an elite interior defensive lineman. He has a very wide skill set and if he continues to work and polish his game he very should be a very effective defensive playmaker on Sundays.

Projected Round: 1-Mid 2

Edited by Raider4Ever

Next

Montravius Adams/ Interior DL / Auburn

6'4''/296 lbs/ Senior

montravius-adams-ad4c7b8ccd019b8c.png

Pros: Anyone you can't take care of with 1 blocker, is a problem. Adams eats up double teams, and when he doesn't, he has the ability to overpower and steamroll undersized centers. He has sneaky athleticism for a bigger guy. Plays very low and uses his pads well. He is an absolute monster in the run game as well, reads lanes well, gets good push and disruption in the run game.

Cons: Not a solid open field tackler, not to be expected, but with his reach and size you'd expect him to be a little better. When he gets tired... that same pad discipline he uses to his advantage...becomes his enemy. As the games go on and the double teams keep coming... he loses pad discipline and gets pushed back and taken out of plays more often than he should. Awareness at times gets him, shouldn't be an issue as the option isn't really a big draw in the NFL...but in college he committed way too much to the wrong player lol.

Off Field Concern: None

Overall: He's going to be a force at the next level. He has the talent to do so as long as the work effort is there. He doesn't seem like a high motor guy, but he generally plays with enough effort and tenacity that makes him someone you have to account for and then some. Sky is the limit for him, honestly, IMO

Projected round: Late 1st - 2nd