Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

Jamaal Charles speaks on his football future

The Chiefs will face the Steelers on Sunday as they kick off this year’s playoff run.

For the second straight year, they won’t have running back Jamaal Charles in the lineup to help the effort. Charles was placed on injured reserve during the regular season after needing arthroscopic surgeries on both knees a year after a torn ACL kept him out of Kansas City’s lineup.

In an essay on his personal website, Charles provided an update about his recovery and more information about what led him to have surgery this year. While the Chiefs said knee swelling led to further evaluation, Charles wrote that he hurt the knee in practice before leaving a game against the Saints after one carry. He was eventually diagnosed with a meniscus tear and then had a the other knee cleaned up in hopes of avoiding more problems down the line.

“What I do know is that I still want to play football,” Charles wrote. “I was only 29 years old this season. My goal right now is to just focus on the now and my rehab and let the rest sort itself out later.”

Charles is set to count $7 million against the cap in 2017 and the Chiefs would get all of that money back in the event they moved on from the veteran back, so there will be some decisions to make about Charles’ future after missing 24 games the last two seasons.

~Per PFT

If you are the Chiefs FO, what do you do? Do you move on and try to get someone possibly in the draft or FA...or do you hold out hope and pray he can stay healthy for next year?

This RB class seems to be pretty deep, I think they should probably do both. Draft an insurance back in the mid rounds and hope Charles can stay healthy. $7m for a RB is not terrible but if they could use the money elsewhere, maybe they should move on. Charles has hit 30 and he is coming off of two knee surgeries so he carries a lot of risk.

I get pretty depressed talking about Jamaal Charles. He's such a unique back, or at least was before all these injuries.

Hopefully he gets the chance to contribute for a different team, if not the Chiefs next year.

• Upvote 2

He was so good... One of the best. But how do the Chiefs or any team go into a season trusting him to be healthy? I don't think you do. And with him at 29 already, I don't think there's going to be much room to explore his options. He will get a chance though, and I hope he succeeds. Unless he signs with an NFC N team not named Green Bay.

Jamaal Charles in KC would be very interesting. Perfect change of pace to Lacy and he wouldn't have to get too many touches.