Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Meet the new Chargers

Same as the old Chargers.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/819376593734946816

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/819378751532191744

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Chargers will announce "by as early as Thursday" that they are moving to Los Angeles.

The Chargers spent the last 55 years in San Diego. A source did insist to Schefter that "nothing is final," as owner Dean Spanos has yet to send a relocation letter to the NFL or tell the City of San Diego that a move is imminent. Still, the Chargers look poised to join the Rams in L.A. after trying to get a stadium approved in San Diego for the last 16 years, and ultimately failing. Per Schefter, Spanos "believes he needs to start fighting for the Los Angeles market as soon as possible."
Source: ESPN.com

So who's gonna move to SD now?

Sucks to see a team move, but it is a smart move for the Chargers. Go into LA and compete against the dogshit Rams for the LA fanbase. Easy win for them. :yep:

I think it's the 'easy' way out for the Chargers. If anyone else but the Rams were in LA, I'd be hoping for them (Chargers) to fail. I don't blame them for leaving San Diego, but I am not sure they are inheriting or inspiring much fan loyalty in LA either.

Sorry for your loss dude, I know the feeling...

I now hope the Raiders stay put because I would not wish this feeling on anyone else.

They are definitely moving to Vegas.

Looking for a new team then heh

:Texans::hiya:

• Upvote 1

This has to be the lowest capacity of any NFL team's stadium since the 60s or 70s.

Really feel for you, Bjorn. This has to suck. :(

Sorry for your loss dude, I know the feeling...

They are definitely moving to Vegas.

:Texans::hiya:

Yeah man, figured you know how it is. And yes, sadly that looks the case but one can only hope.

Not gonna tell you how to feel or act because that would definitely suck. But why are the Chargers not an option to root for anymore? It's not like the new team you find will call San Diego home, which is your reasoning for dumping the Chargers (at least how it was explained up to now).

Don't really know what to say

Woke up this morning to a facebook notification saying "The page you follow San Diego Chargers has changed its name to Los Angeles Chargers". I might imagine it's akin to your wife informing you of her desire to divorce while she flashes an engagement ring from another man.

I'm pissed at a lot of entities but the people that dare say they're true San Diegans and still intent on rooting for the LA Chargers can fuck off and die

• Upvote 1

Not gonna tell you how to feel or act because that would definitely suck. But why are the Chargers not an option to root for anymore? It's not like the new team you find will call San Diego home, which is your reasoning for dumping the Chargers (at least how it was explained up to now).

He stated he won't root for a team in LA.

what do people in San Diego do then? We don't need a bunch of 49er converts :dry:

Edited by BC

LA is a rival city, so not only did the Chargers leave but they left to a rival city. Would the Packers still be an option for you if they moved and became the second team in Chicago?

LA is a rival city, so not only did the Chargers leave but they left to a rival city. Would the Packers still be an option for you if they moved and became the second team in Chicago?

Ha. Fair enough. Point made and taken.

Spanos is a sellout and utterly worthless, one of the most selfish acts in all of sports.

My sister is a Charger fan, who did a lot of things with the Marines during Charger games. She is devastated. She loved the Chargers, she's lived in SD since she was 18, and told me today that the Chargers can go fuck off and die essentially because LA is a shitshow and all about money and popularity.

Sucks for Charger fans... hardcore.

I think this could easily backfire on the NFL and the Chargers. LA metro has like, 20 million people? So there's room for them but there's so much to do there that realistically if neither of these teams are good, ratings will tank, seats won't be filled, etc.

There's probably a logical answer but I feel like the Chargers coulda moved somewhere else if they really felt a move was necessary. Come to Portland. Lol.

Well, I guess that is it for me being a Chargers fan. As I have stated in the past, I will not root for a team in LA and the only reason I have been a Chargers fan is because they were from San Diego. Feels like a divorce or something man, I feel like someone took a dagger to my heart. I now hope the Raiders stay put because I would not wish this feeling on anyone else.

The Chargers have meant a lot to me throughout my life, I have been a fan for as long as I can remember. I mean so many childhood memories including the Seau & Harrison defenses, Ryan Leaf and the really bad teams prior to drafting Brees & LT, and finally up until now with Rivers & Gates. It is crazy to think how many Sundays have been dedicated to them and how many weeks have been ruined in the aftermath of when they had done the dumbest stuff ever. I never even thought it would ever come to this, figured I'd be a Chargers fan for my entire life and I would always have that at least and shoot maybe they'd win a SB in my lifetime.

I'll withhold my feelings towards Spanos, the writing is on the wall regarding him and don't let the national media fool you...this is mostly his fault. I do hope Rivers and Gates find success for their sake because they have earned it and best of luck to the rest of the players. Looking for a new team then heh

​I can't imagine the feeling, if the Bucs moved I'd probably cry.

I think this could easily backfire on the NFL and the Chargers. LA metro has like, 20 million people? So there's room for them but there's so much to do there that realistically if neither of these teams are good, ratings will tank, seats won't be filled, etc.
There's probably a logical answer but I feel like the Chargers coulda moved somewhere else if they really felt a move was necessary. Come to Portland. Lol.

If they wanted to stay in Cali, I think Sacramento would have been cool. Salt Lake City would have been a nice option too, IMO. Like I said... LA is just lazy and the "easy" way out. Just like you though, I don't think it will end up being as easy as they think it will be.

Dont understand why a team wont move to Portland i think it could be a huge hit

San Deigo should of made a effort to keep the Chargers but they didn't care i Don't think Cities realize just how much a team means to there city

Edited by WeaponX20

Well with Rivers, the Chargers can come in and win right away. The roster overall is blossoming and with better coaching they could compete for the division. But would that bring them a loyal fanbase or just a temporary bandwagon of the casual fans? I mean once Rivers retires, will they still be considered a competitive team? Also, I am pretty sure the Raiders were winning back in the day and they still struggled to sell tickets. And FWIW, the Raiders actually have a large following in LA too. The worst part is that Gates and maybe Rivers will end their careers playing in a soccer stadium in a city that has shown it doesn't really care about them.

It is weird how Portland is not considered as a future relocation destination. I mean when ever the subject comes up it is Toronto, London, and San Antonio. Portland is arguably better than all three IMO.

Dont understand why a team wont move to Portland i think it could be a huge hit

San Deigo should of made a effort to keep the Chargers but they didn't care i Don't think Cities realize just how much a team means to there city

1. Spanos made an effort to go to LA before he did anything in SD.

2. Spanos did not cooperate with the city AT ALL, it was his way or the highway. His plan was destined to fail and he knew it.

3. Spanos was getting $350m from the city plus $100m to $150m from SDSU's budget. The NFL had increased their G4 loan to an unprecedented $300m. AND the Raiders were no longer a threat to go to LA. His hand was definitely forced to LA though.

Edited by BJORN

Well with Rivers, the Chargers can come in and win right away. The roster overall is blossoming and with better coaching they could compete for the division. But would that bring them a loyal fanbase or just a temporary bandwagon of the casual fans? I mean once Rivers retires, will they still be considered a competitive team? Also, I am pretty sure the Raiders were winning back in the day and they still struggled to sell tickets. And FWIW, the Raiders actually have a large following in LA too. The worst part is that Gates and maybe Rivers will end their careers playing in a soccer stadium in a city that has shown it doesn't really care about them.

It is weird how Portland is not considered as a future relocation destination. I mean when ever the subject comes up it is Toronto, London, and San Antonio. Portland is arguably better than all three IMO.

Toronto is no longer a target, given the failures of the Bills Toronto Series. There is simply no major interest in football at all up here.

I also think the stadium situation and having two separate fanbases helped with the attendance issues during the Rams and Raiders L.A. days. I'll need to look it up again. :)

LOS ANGELES -- The Chargers' first public presentation in their new city didn't go over so well Saturday.

During their game with the Lakers, the Clippers showed the new Los Angeles Chargers logo on the video screen and the Staples Center crowd promptly booed.

After a few seconds, the screen cut to Chargers tight end Jeff Cumberland, who briefly waved but then was booed.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18475653/los-angeles-chargers-jeff-cumberland-booed-los-angeles-lakers-la-clippers-game