Sign in to follow this  
Zack_of_Steel

In which sport does the HC matter most?

Technically, it would have to be soccer. Not only are managers (the equivalent of a HC) in charge of coaching the team but they are also responsible for talent acquisition/retention. On game day, a manager sets a lineup and the tactics for the match, makes key strategic substitutions, and must direct the team from the sideline with no timeouts. I cannot tell you how many losses I can attribute to poor tactical decision making or poorly selected lineups on behalf of the manager. Lastly, I am pretty sure soccer players are by far the hardest to manage. The players tend to rely on confidence and have immense egos. Due to the transfer system, it is much harder to retain talent and as a result form a team-based mentality. Many players are just in it for themselves and their next pay day.

I believe NFL head coaches have the hardest job on game day as they are typically putting input into every play and have to be aware of the best strategies in many different scenarios. Also, NFL schemes have to be much more complicated to run and set than tactics/schemes in soccer.

In order of importance:

Football > Basketball > Hockey > Baseball