Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Trump Regime thread.

When I posited that there could be small towns with just one bakery or other business, i was told that it was not relevant.

Not to mention that there are other video hosting sites, such as dailymotion. Or Alex Jones can pay for his own video hosting. Google doesn't have to subsidize his website.

Youre working under the assumption that the couple in question is actually looking for someone to bake a cake. Not the situation in Colorado. Said couple got numerous offers to bake cakes for them... they left to find someone who wouldnt.

As a content creator are you saying DailyMotion competes equally with YouTube ? Or is it as a viewer those experiences are similar?

If DailyMotion is the biggest competitor to YouTube , I think that proves my point . Daily Motion brings in roughly 10% of the views Youtube does a month. Theres really no competition there, and if they were a threat Youtube couldve just bought them when DailyMotion changed hands a few years ago.

Itd be a better comparison if there were only 2 bakeries that could do wedding cakes globally instead of 50+ in a city of 150,000. Big difference there.

Oh this is also particularly funny because YouTube has been censoring LGBT creators for years.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/4/17424472/youtube-lgbt-demonetization-ads-algorithm

This is another case where I'm not saying you're wrong. But I'm questioning why this is what it takes for you to care.

What is it that Im now caring now that I didnt before ? Like how big Youtube and Facebook are?

The answer is a lot less nefarious than the one youre thinking of Im sure. I listen to Joe Rogan anywhere from 10-15 hours a week. Hes talked about it with multiple guests over the last week. Thats a lot of exposure. Plus Sean brought it up here and the conversation didnt end after one post. It kept going again conintuous and more exposure. Its at the forefront for the time being because its at the forefront of the media I am consuming.

Its for the same reason I, you, and everyone else have talked about Russia for so long its dominated the media space and is at the forefront of a lot of peoples minds.

And as previously mentioned Im not against deplatforming alex jones on principle. But as the media I consume discusses it and brings up different thoughts / ideas / angles , my brain gets to thinking.

As you brought up, hes said some crazy stupid shit regarding Sandy Hook. And while Im anti-censorship , theres no questioning the defamatory and soul-less why he approaches talking about it. As Thanatos pointed or, doing so really only strengthened his followers... as Sean pointed out, theres been no real process afforded to Alex.

I think youre all correct, really.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and what is happening to the creators in your article is wrong as well. I am not going to sit here and pretend I've done or read a bunch of articles on that specifically -- because I haven't. But that isn't a good situation either.

That deals a lot with Youtube's TERRIBLE automated algorithm bullshit. While I haven't read a lot into how it alters the way the LGBT community interacts with Youtube, that same algorithm has screwed over A LOT of people for a lot of different reasons.

Again... Joe Rogan... discussed how this guy who added a Sam Harris immigration conversation (totally civil and intellectual conversation) to a playlist got a community guidelines charge for hate speech... It wasn't even that guy's own video. It was a video, he merely added to a playlist of his and HE got charged with promoting hate speech. What?

It's the Adpocalypse as many in the community call it and it's terrible for creators across the board -- and I can only imagine the impact the LGBTQ community feels in that regard considering the very things your article points out.

Youtube is fucked up.

Edited by DalaiLama4Ever

This is kind of the point of the entire debate man. Look, I understand that you probably think I'm some sort of homophobe, or whatever the case may be. You're wrong. I think LGBT people have just as much right to the internet and free speech is anybody else. Which is exactly why you should be worried about Alex Jones and this issue.

Now admittedly I read the article, but I didn't watch any of the videos. So with that being said, isn't it b*******how the one medium that is supposed to be for everyone, since there's lgbtq people. It's not just Alex Jones, he's the first major high-profile guy they're going to be platform, but what happens when they come knocking on a famous transgender persons for to deplatform them?

now granted Alex Jones said some heinous things, and I'm not sure those transgender people had anything close to what he has on his videos, so I don't know the content. What I do know though is that in the article said they're getting flagged for age-restricted content, and to that I agree something should be age-restricted. I mean can somebody really tell me a reason why it's six or seven year old needs to be watching transgender videos? Or videos that contain talk about sexual topics, or anything like that.

When they get older perhaps teenagers or older I wouldn't mind them watching things like that. So I can see why somebody would have age-restricted content. Now to ban them I don't understand that. They have just as much right to the internet as everyone else, which is the scary part. This isn't some problem that an extreme right-wing conservative conspiracy theorist has to worry about, this has the potential to have far-reaching effects on every body.

Edited by Omerta

Also, I find it interesting that so many people who were in favor of the bakery being allowed to refuse to make a cake for a gay couple suddenly are upset that a company is allowed to choose to deny someone service.

Difference being that said Baker offered to sell them an undecorated cake that they could decorate as they please but they were insistent that he custom make a cake celebrating a homosexual union, which goes against his religious beliefs. He had every right to refuse to do that specific task. He did not refuse them service overall.

And I don't care about Alex Jones but censorship is always bad. That being said, it was and should be within their rights to not host his content.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Difference being that said Baker offered to sell them an undecorated cake that they could decorate as they please but they were insistent that he custom make a cake celebrating a homosexual union, which goes against his religious beliefs. He had every right to refuse to do that specific task. He did not refuse them service overall.

And I don't care about Alex Jones but censorship is always bad. That being said, it was and should be within their rights to not host his content.

Same baker is actually suing the state right now, I think as there is a similar issue but with a transgender person who targeted his bakery after the first, very public, denial.

There are a number of good points being made and some solutions being brought up. If we can do that on an internet forum I'm sure there's an answer to this out there. That answer can't be giving control of the flow of information/ideas to a few corporations. That's madness. Those people aren't elected to that position.

I think it's also aaparent that we need to protect people's privacy and look at what kind of data we allow these people to collect and save. We'll be making a drastic mistake if we leave this up to the free market.

We really need to examine how to cope with the technology we've developed over the last 30 years or so and going forward. Don't ever just sit back and watch while power concentrates like this. Remember, the expansion of executive power under the last 2 presidents is why Trump can do as much damage as he's doing. Massive corporate mergers have been happening since the Clinton days. anti-Trust laws aren't enforced. If they take our speech too it will make it almost impossible to fight back.

Well what do you propose as a means to seize YouTube anyways that can't be prevented by them moving to a new country?

I'm open to a lot of solutions. I don't know that you have to seize YouTube. You could make laws that make sure there is a legal process that they have to go through or make it so they can't simply just use algorithms to block shit. There are also many ways we could make them pay for leaving the US lol. Either way, it can't just be allowed to go on the way it is.

Not every point I bring up for discussion has to be purely Linertarian in nature nor do I have to support every single thing I bring to the table merely for discussion.

Like I said, was just listening to a podcast and really the immense power sites like YouTube and Facebook have. And like Sean said... they are able to enact punishments swiftly without real due process. Being a private institution and effective monopolies, they really can be judge jury and executioner.

As was said in the podcast... What is Alex Jones going to do? Go to the other YouTube ?

No such thing exists. Their hold is really immense and kind of scary how they can funnel different ideas to people, remove other ideas....

If you dont like what biased FOX news says you can go watch CNN. If you dont like the politics YouTube or Facebook hold you either put up with it or dont participate. There is no Option B to push Youtube/Facebook.

This is untrue and Jones has already turned to the "other youtube"- Twitch. He streams live for followers and then has video of it afterwards. It's not as big as youtube, but there is another option.

If Facebook can de-platformed Palestinians (see the Greenwald article) because they have a right to as a business then the NFL should be allowed to tell players to STFU and play football because they're under contract. Keep in mind the guy who owns Facebook has expressed interest in running for president on more than one occasion. You guys, come on lol.

Edited by seanbrock

This is untrue and Jones has already turned to the "other youtube"- Twitch. He streams live for followers and then has video of it afterwards. It's not as big as youtube, but there is another option.

Twitch is to YouTube what cake is to pie. Thin relation but very different beasts.

Please provide a link to Alex's Twitch channel showing him doing 6 streams a week (schedule for his radio show) pulling in numbers equaling his YouTube production to verify your claims please. I have been clicking around trying to find it and can't -- not saying it doesn't exist, it's just a little more hidden than I would think for such a popular platform for Alex Jones to rake in those views and cash.

EDIT: I went to InfoWars (thanks a lot) and the twitch link, placed at the very bottom of his social media page links to an account that doesn't have a video posted more recent than 10 years ago. So yeah, I'd still like one from you please as I keep digging around.

Edited by DalaiLama4Ever

Interesting. I was taking Jones' own word for it, he posted a link on his Twitter account directing followers to his twitch account.

It does appear he is using twitch, but he is apparently doing so via other people's streams:

"On Friday afternoon, the conspiracy-spinner was live-streaming across multiple social media platforms, in fact: His InfoWars program was broadcasting on his Facebook channel, on Amazon's Twitch and on illicit YouTube streams."

"Jones also was streaming on at least one channel on Twitch, the streaming service that is owned by Amazon. That stream, which was hosted by one of Jones' associates, was removed in the middle of the broadcast. Twitch would not comment on Jones or the associate's accounts and whether it has been fielding any complaints over Jones."

Cohen has a plea deal and Manafort is found guilty of 8 felony tax charges.

Witch hunt! Fake news!

(Trump is gonna be fucking insane at his rally tonight)

To be clear on both fronts. Manafort (and Cohen) are massive creeps. They belong in prison. However... none of the charges Manafort was found guilty of are related to Russia. No conspiracy, no treason, no anything. Cohen pleaded guilty to similar charges... campaign finance stuff, bank fraud, tax stuff...

If you want to see Trump go crazy, wait until he finds out that Mollie Tibbets (Iowa college student) was abducted and murdered by an illegal alien. He's gonna have a field day with that one.

Edited by DalaiLama4Ever

To be clear on both fronts. Manafort (and Cohen) are massive creeps. They belong in prison. However... none of the charges Manafort was found guilty of are related to Russia. No conspiracy, no treason, no anything. Cohen pleaded guilty to similar charges... campaign finance stuff, bank fraud, tax stuff...

I mean, they explicitly had to make some evidence in the manafort trial confidential because it is tied to the russia investigation. They wanted this trial done before the other one so the prosecution can say Manafort committed crimes and have it be an accepted fact rather than something they have to prove (since its been proven in this trial). Also, Cohen confessed that he was ordered by "a presidential candidate" to commit the campaign finance crimes. I guess you could say that doesn't name trump specifically, but I don't think it was Bernie.

• Upvote 1

You want to talk about things we should ban from Youtube how about all these challenges kids are doing. I just saw a 12 year old in Detroit is severely burned from a fire challenge on Youtube, they dropped the ball on that one. Ban the dude who started it. More kids are dead as a direct result from these dumb fucking challenges that target kids, than anything jones has done.

They should all be banned with Jones. Fucking shitbags.

Edited by Omerta

Well the DNC started its road to implosion a couple years ago with all the crooked bullshit, and far left SJW base and it cost them. The GOP is now collapsing under its own crooked bullshit, and far right Neo-Nazi, and prejudiced base and it will cost....well someone. Both parties are such a horrendous shit show something big has to change right ?

• Upvote 1

Jesus Christ there is literally nothing you won't "both sides"

Personally I'm glad it's all being exposed.

"perhaps the answer is somewhere in the middle"

*scurries off before blots explodes*

• Upvote 2

Jesus Christ there is literally nothing you won't "both sides"

Is he not right though? When in this type of conversation does being extremely tribal in our thought process really benefit the situation or move us towards a real solution?

Sides are irrelevent to this discussion imo. It's being revealed to an undeniable degree that our political system is a system that runs on legalized bribary. Unsurprisingly people are willing to cheat in order to make themselves rich.