Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Trump Regime thread.

6 hours ago, seanbrock said:

I'll say it again lol. This whole gender vs sex argument is a genius way to have everyone at each other's throats. 

It isn't though. To me there is no argument. A vast majority of the time they are the same thing. 

Me and Razor most likely disagree on that but I would hardly say we are at each other's throats.

It won't surprise anyone here I don't think but did you guys hear about Netflix. Trump and his faithful are so asshurt about jokes, Netflix will let you skip them lol. Is this the new censorship of comedy? God both parties are so fucking pathetic. They are both whiny, lazy, entitled, cry baby pussies. This country is going to the shitter unless we get some strong 3rd party peeps into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Going? America has been shit your entire life, man.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RazorStar said:

Going? America has been shit your entire life, man.

Strongly disagree. As long as there is hope of upward mobility and possibly getting wealthy and elevating your offspring to a better starting platform than you had, so they can elevate their children, and you can retire in comfort with the ones you love, their is an American dream. 

I don't want to hear how it is dead. I've done it, so it can be done. And to me that's all I can really ask for. My kids are getting great educations, I am a successful business owner, and I have an amazing wife and kids. I have zero complaints.

On 11/4/2019 at 11:15 AM, Omerta said:

It isn't though. To me there is no argument. A vast majority of the time they are the same thing. 

Me and Razor most likely disagree on that but I would hardly say we are at each other's throats.

It really is. And knowing that the progressive stance on it is total nonsense is supposedly offensive 

48 minutes ago, BwareDWare94 said:

It really is. And knowing that the progressive stance on it is total nonsense is supposedly offensive 

The scientific stance, you mean. As in, what actually are the facts on the subject at hand.

Look you can disagree with certain shit, for sure. But reality is reality, no matter how much you might wish otherwise, or think those people are icky, or what have you. 

Gender is different than sex according to basically all prominent psychological organizations. People who get upset at other people identifying as a different gender are almost always doing so because they are trying to strip trans people of basic rights. Thus why the Trump admin is trying to re-define gender to be based on the sex organs you have at birth. Newsflash: You have almost certainly been in a bathroom with a trans person and didn't know it. 

Holy shit the Dems actually flipped Kentucky. Andy Beshear has defeated Matt Bevin for the governor race, despite last ditch efforts by Trump to keep that from happening. And Virginia's house and senate are both blue.

That is a very bad sign for the GOP. Maybe Kentucky will actually get rid of McConnell next year. 

Edited by Thanatos

4 hours ago, Thanatos said:

The scientific stance, you mean. As in, what actually are the facts on the subject at hand.

Look you can disagree with certain shit, for sure. But reality is reality, no matter how much you might wish otherwise, or think those people are icky, or what have you. 

Gender is different than sex according to basically all prominent psychological organizations. People who get upset at other people identifying as a different gender are almost always doing so because they are trying to strip trans people of basic rights. Thus why the Trump admin is trying to re-define gender to be based on the sex organs you have at birth. Newsflash: You have almost certainly been in a bathroom with a trans person and didn't know it. 

Just as an interjection here, psychology is not a science, and there is no such thing as scientifically trans. 

"Unlike “sex”, gender does not have a basis in science, although it is affected by the biological and physiological characteristics we display as “males” and “females”. Instead, gender is based on the societal constructions and belief systems put in place that deal with masculinity and femininity. The gender identity that most people adhere to is usually unconscious, or forced upon us at an early age. We see the concepts of gender in the colors assigned to children (blue for boys, pink for girls), the common length of our hair (men-short, women-long), the toys we play with, the jobs we aspire to, and the behaviors and interests we are “supposed” to embrace."

https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/what-is-the-difference-between-sex-and-gender.html

Again trans people can do them thing is all well and good. However, let's be honest. All science says is that gender dysphoria is an illness of the mind. It does not scientifically support it as a valid biological state of being.

Psychology is far from a A science. It is as much a science, and arguably as important as philosophy, so you don't get to claim your stance as scientific here.

5 hours ago, Thanatos said:

There's a significant difference between the absurd idea that gender has nothing to do with biology and the progressive insistence that the concept of gender identity dictates reality.

"Reality is reality"? I'm not sure what you're getting at there. A biological male can't be a woman, and vice versa. Some of us are never going to pretend otherwise for the sake of feelings.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

What I am about to say is not judgey or condemning in any way, I am just genuinely wondering. 

but my workplace just recently installed machines for sanitation wipes and tampons in the mens bathroom. Does your (anyone reading this) workplace already have this accommodation?

No...men don't use tampons lol.

Some do. 

Also kind of random, but Kamala Harris introduced legislation to try and extend school days by up to three hours. Fuck that noise. She needs to go away.

• Upvote 2

Leave Blots out of this.

And yeah. She is desperate, she is just saying crazy shit now to see what hits a cord. She is done, but she will never shut up because she is an entitled piece of shit 

17 hours ago, Omerta said:

Just as an interjection here, psychology is not a science, and there is no such thing as scientifically trans. 

"Unlike “sex”, gender does not have a basis in science, although it is affected by the biological and physiological characteristics we display as “males” and “females”. Instead, gender is based on the societal constructions and belief systems put in place that deal with masculinity and femininity. The gender identity that most people adhere to is usually unconscious, or forced upon us at an early age. We see the concepts of gender in the colors assigned to children (blue for boys, pink for girls), the common length of our hair (men-short, women-long), the toys we play with, the jobs we aspire to, and the behaviors and interests we are “supposed” to embrace."

https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/what-is-the-difference-between-sex-and-gender.html

Again trans people can do them thing is all well and good. However, let's be honest. All science says is that gender dysphoria is an illness of the mind. It does not scientifically support it as a valid biological state of being.

Psychology is far from a A science. It is as much a science, and arguably as important as philosophy, so you don't get to claim your stance as scientific here.

I disagree entirely. Psychology is absolutely a science. It is not entirely the same science as, say,  biology which is more empirical, but to claim it is not a science at all is misleading at best. Claiming its on the same level as philosophy is simply flat out not true.

Science is generally considered to consist of three things: A) The mindset B) The method C) The overall knowledge

When you are doing science you assume there is no supernatural influence you cannot detect- you have to as a starting point here. Then you use the scientific method to contribute to the overall knowledge we have any given subject. Philosophy fails at A and B and is therefore not a science. Philosophers do not assume no existence of the supernatural. Psychologists do. They also use the scientific method to reach their conclusions.

Where psychology struggles where, say, biology does not, is step C. The human brain is one of the most complex organs in the universe. On a lot of subjects, there is no consensus, unlike biology which has a large consensus on nearly all of the subjects. On whether gender is the same as sex, there is a large majority- though not an overwhelming one- that says no, they are not. You are not going to find very many people to argue that biological sex and gender are the same thing. At least, experts in the field. You'll find plenty of them on the political right and in the Trump administration. But as I said, that's because they find it gross and/or want to strip them of rights. 

It's quite funny how republicans are all for limited government until it comes to something they themselves are against. 

17 hours ago, BwareDWare94 said:

There's a significant difference between the absurd idea that gender has nothing to do with biology and the progressive insistence that the concept of gender identity dictates reality.

"Reality is reality"? I'm not sure what you're getting at there. A biological male can't be a woman, and vice versa. Some of us are never going to pretend otherwise for the sake of feelings.

I believe you have fallen for the idea that is being pushed by the right-wing here. Yet more scare tactics from them. No one is arguing that gender is the same as sex. No one is claiming a biological woman can become a biological man. What we are saying is that what you identify as can be different than what you biologically are. You are correct that a biological male cannot become a biological woman. What is more, no one is attempting this argument. It is a strawman.

It is in fact imperative to know that one cannot change your biological sex as a fact, for medical reasons. Some friends I have in the medical field tell stories all the time of trans people telling the doctor what gender they are instead of what sex they are. Your body reacts differently to different things and you are at a higher risk for certain things as a woman than as a man and vice versa. This is your sex and its not changeable. It is not the same thing as your gender, which is.

In essence you are arguing that gender must be the same as sex, and then making your argument assuming the two terms are interchangeable. They are not the same thing. Again, it does not hurt you in the slightest to call someone by the pronouns they wish to use. Trying to use the government to legalize discrimination against a very small minority is shameful, but it is what entities backed up by the political right try to do on a near daily basis.

Edited by Thanatos

6 hours ago, Thanatos said:

I disagree entirely. Psychology is absolutely a science. It is not entirely the same science as, say,  biology which is more empirical, but to claim it is not a science at all is misleading at best. Claiming its on the same level as philosophy is simply flat out not true.

Science is generally considered to consist of three things: A) The mindset B) The method C) The overall knowledge

When you are doing science you assume there is no supernatural influence you cannot detect- you have to as a starting point here. Then you use the scientific method to contribute to the overall knowledge we have any given subject. Philosophy fails at A and B and is therefore not a science. Philosophers do not assume no existence of the supernatural. Psychologists do. They also use the scientific method to reach their conclusions.

Where psychology struggles where, say, biology does not, is step C. The human brain is one of the most complex organs in the universe. On a lot of subjects, there is no consensus, unlike biology which has a large consensus on nearly all of the subjects. On whether gender is the same as sex, there is a large majority- though not an overwhelming one- that says no, they are not. You are not going to find very many people to argue that biological sex and gender are the same thing. At least, experts in the field. You'll find plenty of them on the political right and in the Trump administration. But as I said, that's because they find it gross and/or want to strip them of rights. 

It's quite funny how republicans are all for limited government until it comes to something they themselves are against. 

This is not an agree or disagree as you say.

You can't use the scientific method in psychology. The outcomes vary wildly and the results are not repeatable. One person gets seen by a psychologist and it helps, others won't. It is a guessing game. An educated guess to be sure, but there are no two people who react the exact same way to anything or any treatment. And the the outcomes can't be reproduced. This is the Crux of the scientific method.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/reproducibility-explainer/

The only people who think psychology is a science are people who are trying to win an argument using science, and psychologists. This is a debate that has raged forever and that's the beautiful part. If there is a debate that's how you know it isn't. NOBODY argues biology is not a science, because it clearly is. Psychology and philosophy are just people guessing at how we think, and often wrong.

The ACTUAL science of the brain is called neurology. Psychology is pretty much the study of feelings.

10 hours ago, Thanatos said:

I believe you have fallen for the idea that is being pushed by the right-wing here. Yet more scare tactics from them. No one is arguing that gender is the same as sex. No one is claiming a biological woman can become a biological man. What we are saying is that what you identify as can be different than what you biologically are. You are correct that a biological male cannot become a biological woman. What is more, no one is attempting this argument. It is a strawman.

It is in fact imperative to know that one cannot change your biological sex as a fact, for medical reasons. Some friends I have in the medical field tell stories all the time of trans people telling the doctor what gender they are instead of what sex they are. Your body reacts differently to different things and you are at a higher risk for certain things as a woman than as a man and vice versa. This is your sex and its not changeable. It is not the same thing as your gender, which is.

In essence you are arguing that gender must be the same as sex, and then making your argument assuming the two terms are interchangeable. They are not the same thing. Again, it does not hurt you in the slightest to call someone by the pronouns they wish to use. Trying to use the government to legalize discrimination against a very small minority is shameful, but it is what entities backed up by the political right try to do on a near daily basis.

I'm not saying I'd actually be rude and mean to a transgender person. That being said, I would refer to them by name and not use pronouns at all if asked to use a pronoun contradictory to their biological sex, or a pronoun contradictory to reality (the ridiculous x and z pronouns), or a plural pronoun such as "they." Not going to happen. Reality for others doesn't change based on delusions that our medical community has stopped trying to treat after years of no real answers found.

14 hours ago, Omerta said:

This is not an agree or disagree as you say.

You can't use the scientific method in psychology. The outcomes vary wildly and the results are not repeatable. One person gets seen by a psychologist and it helps, others won't. It is a guessing game. An educated guess to be sure, but there are no two people who react the exact same way to anything or any treatment. And the the outcomes can't be reproduced. This is the Crux of the scientific method.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/reproducibility-explainer/

The only people who think psychology is a science are people who are trying to win an argument using science, and psychologists. This is a debate that has raged forever and that's the beautiful part. If there is a debate that's how you know it isn't. NOBODY argues biology is not a science, because it clearly is. Psychology and philosophy are just people guessing at how we think, and often wrong.

You're right this isn't an agree/disagree thing. You're just wrong. :)

1 minute ago, Thanatos said:

You're right this isn't an agree/disagree thing. You're just wrong. :)

It's not the first time you've gotten something backwards I guess.

11 hours ago, BwareDWare94 said:

I'm not saying I'd actually be rude and mean to a transgender person. That being said, I would refer to them by name and not use pronouns at all if asked to use a pronoun contradictory to their biological sex, or a pronoun contradictory to reality (the ridiculous x and z pronouns), or a plural pronoun such as "they." Not going to happen. Reality for others doesn't change based on delusions that our medical community has stopped trying to treat after years of no real answers found.

So what you're just gonna ask them what they have between their legs before deigning to call them female or male pronouns? 

What would you call an actual intersex person? 

The medical community has stopped trying to treat it because we found out how to treat it. We let them transition so they are more comfortable in their body.

Just now, Omerta said:

It's not the first time you've gotten something backwards I guess.

When you say the mere fact that there's a debate means it cannot possibly be a science, there is no point at all in continuing the conversation. The idea that there is no repeatable observations is just wrong, so many things in your statement are just fallacies. Again, no real point. The mere existence of a debate means it cannot be! Lol.

• Haha 1

Yes it CANNOT be a science is my point. You made my point, thanks.

And there is absolutely nothing in my statement that is false, and you know it. You cant point it out and back it up so you just say there is no point. 

I have long known you are incapable of admitting your wrong, so it becomes nuanced, or in this case, there is no point. Nothing wrong with your game playa, I just know what you're doing.

I do it better. But hey continue doing you. 

2 minutes ago, Omerta said:

Yes it CANNOT be a science is my point. You made my point, thanks.

And there is absolutely nothing in my statement that is false, and you know it. You cant point it out and back it up so you just say there is no point. 

I have long known you are incapable of admitting your wrong, so it becomes nuanced, or in this case, there is no point. Nothing wrong with your game playa, I just know what you're doing.

I do it better. But hey continue doing you. 

And you just see everything in black and white. You would think you would have grown up by now and understood that's not how the world works.

Ahhhh, more of you not making a point. Keep playing the game playa. For a guy who fancies himself the smartest guy in the room, you are predictable to the rest of us knave's lol

Is it nuanced or do you just bend things you say to fit your current narrative, even though you contradict yourself lol.

I told you, I have you figured out, you're not surprising anyone lol. Keep trying.

Edited by Omerta