Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Trump Regime thread.

Even if its 100% the right thing to do (very much debatable) there is no reason we could not have told our ally that we were going to. Not sure why you guys even feel the need to defend such a move anyways, but I guess you guys are usually "well I dont like trump but hes right 100% of the time."

Isn't it a good thing to be able to admit someone you don't like did something pretty good for a change?

I've been against Trump from the beginning, and still am. I just feel that it's dishonest to act as if every luttle thing he does is wrong. I still dislike his stances on immigration and the environment for example, and the Iran Deal, well... we're going to feel the consequences of that for a while, unfortunately.

I am disappointed that open mindedness is apparently a bad thing to you.

• Upvote 1

Because he did literally nothing good. We got nothing from North Korea besides a vague promise to maybe do something later. We (might have) given them a massive concession, and if we didn't it just further shows that our word is worthless. We alienated a major ally.

This was about stroking trump's ego. Nothing more. The idea that I HAVE to look for excuses to praise trump to be "fair" or "open-minded" is asanine and it's a trap the media has fallen into. It just validates him in a way that he doesn't deserve and further normalizes his idiocy.

• Upvote 1

I think Trump is the President most suceptible to public opinion that we've had. If people started hitting him for being a hawk in certain areas but praised him for peace making efforts in North Korea I think we could use his attention whoreness to our advantage. I think that's why the establishment of the GOP feared him. I think he's like a child that craves attention whether it's good or bad.

I think he's like a child that craves attention whether it's good or bad.

This is both accurate and terrifying. That's why this ends with trump going to North Korea, LOVING the military parade that they throw for him, and then gives them literally anything they want for nothing.

But I'll promise you guys, if trump can get North Korea to let regular UN inspectors to come into the country to ensure that they're actually denuclearizing, ill give him credit. Until that, all we have is North Korea's word which means nothing to me.

• Upvote 1

Thats not particularly unfair ... but they had a pretty short (relatively) meeting didnt they? Lets not expect to have the entire thing done after one brief meeting. The Iran Deal took Kerry and the US months to put together.

But after that one short meeting, trump made the decision to end the military exercises with South Korea. So it seems like a lot got done on one side.

Did you read BJORN's post? He had more facts than I did about it. Also, this strategy has been advocated for by Noam Chomsky. Stopping war games in the boarder has anyway idk Trump's full plans. I would assume enriching himself is near the top of his priorities. Diplomacy might give him an avenue to do that which would actually probably succeed in denuclearizing NK. It's getting to the point where it could all fall apart at any moment for Kim. I think he could be bought into playing ball. This could have been the big picture strategy anyway. The sanctions they've faced is like modern day seige warfare. I think they might be out of resolve. Kim could fear a coup from within if he doesn't do something. We don't know what's going on inside that country.

Just to be clear, Kim and the leadership of NK in general has been horrible but it's not the only reason those people are starving. Kim will denuclearize if he's guaranteed his position.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/24/obama-response-north-korea-nuclear-tests-deal

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/24/obama-response-north-korea-nuclear-tests-deal

Told you so

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/chomsky/comments/6tblce/chomsky_bombshell_us_rejected_n_korean_peace_offer/

And here's what actual liberal, Noam Chomsky has said

I don't get how you can say on one hand that Trump is an unhinged madman with his finger on the button but not be in favor of him reducing tensions with a nuclear power. This reminds me of how Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity had Republicans acting. Obama: 2+2=4 Glen Beck: "this man is possessed by demons"

This is the same thing. I think Obama is far more capable than Trump and the comparison isn't perfect but it's not wrong.

Edited by seanbrock

"Ceasing tests" isn't the same as denuclearization.

"Ceasing tests" isn't the same as denuclearization.

No but it's a path towards denuclearization. That's a step in the right direction.

And then they can turn around and start over again, as they've done numerous times since the 90s.

And we can do the same. At the end if the day only their existence is threatened. The stakes are far higher for them.

• Upvote 1

Fair enough, China has caught up a lot since Japan shit on them in WWII and also they had to recover from the Brits.

Also, just now Omerta corrected me on some shit I said and instead of being offended I +'d him because I think the point of this should be to discuss and hopefully learn. I still disagree with him on a lot of shit and I'm sure we'll argue a hundred times over about whatever but that doesn't mean I don't respect him. Generally anyone who bothers to post here are thoughtful, intelligent people. They might be wrong in some cases but it's important to humble yourself if you want to continue learning.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 2

Top republicans are against the policy and Melania came out and said thats dumb too. I dont know when but thats probably going to change.

Top republicans are against the policy and Melania came out and said thats dumb too. I dont know when but thats probably going to change.

Until a law passes, I'm not giving them an ounce of credit. Too many of these republican senators act like they have no ability to actually do anything about it.

Until a law passes, I'm not giving them an ounce of credit. Too many of these republican senators act like they have no ability to actually do anything about it.

Yeah politics in a nutshell lol. Pretty fucking sad.

Oh totally. And you shouldnt (give them credit until its done). Talk is cheap.

Meanwhile, there is a bill in the senate to end this that has been supported by literally every democratic senator so we need literally one republican to get it through (assuming McCain continues abstaining from everything).

Both parties are not the same. This is a republican policy supported by the Republican Party. So Jeff Flake, Susan Collins: signing that bill does more good than a million disappointed tweets.

• Upvote 1

Meanwhile, there is a bill in the senate to end this that has been supported by literally every democratic senator so we need literally one republican to get it through (assuming McCain continues abstaining from everything).

Both parties are not the same. This is a republican policy supported by the Republican Party. So Jeff Flake, Susan Collins: signing that bill does more good than a million disappointed tweets.

I'm just going to assume that said bill includes a bunch of ridiculous add-ons that Republicans would never agree to so it's designed for them to look bad. They do the same thing when Democrats are in power, so the finger points at both sides of the aisle, imo.

I'm just going to assume that said bill includes a bunch of ridiculous add-ons that Republicans would never agree to so it's designed for them to look bad. They do the same thing when Democrats are in power, so the finger points at both sides of the aisle, imo.

Why assume when you can actually look up the bill and see that it doesn't?

https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/s3036/BILLS-115s3036is.pdf

• Upvote 1

Ted Cruz will be introducing legislation to keep immigrant families together. His version will build more shelters and expedite asylum hearings which I think is a plus. No full text yet, I dont think.

Ted Cruz will be introducing legislation to keep immigrant families together. His version will build more shelters and expedite asylum hearings which I think is a plus. No full text yet, I dont think.

It looks like his plan would double the number of federal immigration judges, which will be lifetime positions chosen by trump. It'd end the seperations but would also ramp up deportations to an absurd level. Sounds like this is the kind of thing bware was talking about.

If cruz's priority was just to end the separations, he'd just sign onto the existing bill.