Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Who's The Best WR In The League?

To me it's a three man race, between Beckham, Brown and Jones. These guys might end up re-writing the record books when it's all said and done. For a couple years now I've been saying it's Antonio Brown. I'm a big fan of his game, but he did have somewhat of a down year this year. He caught only 1 pass over 50 yards and had only 4 100 yard receiving games. At the end of the year though he still posted 106 receptions, 1200 yards receiving and 12 TD's, which is more than Julio Jones has ever had in his career. He also only had 1 games with fewer than 50 yards receiving which makes it 5 in last 4 years and most of those games being games in which either a has been Vick or a never was Landry Jones starting. Brown is a coaches dream the way that he runs routes and just plays the position in general, a true master of his craft. He's not just a guy who works really hard though because what he can do after the catch is a testament to the natural ability he has.

Julio Jones is a monster. Just about every time he steps on the field he's the best athlete out there but he's not just a guy who gets by on his physical gifts either. He's become notorious for his work ethic and when you combine that his kind of other worldly talent you see the results. He's averaged 100 yards a game for the last 4 seasons now and is flat out one of the most dominant receivers we've ever seen. Having said all that though he's posted double digit TD's 1 time in his career which is kind of puzzling for a guy of his size.

Then you have Odell Beckham Jr. It's weird that the best year of his career so far was his rookie season, but he's still never posted any less than 90 receptions, 1300 yards and 10 TD's. It seems like the only thing that can stop OBJ is OBJ. Even when you stick to the guy like glue he finds ways to make catches and there aren't many guys in the league that can stick with him in coverage and what he can do after the catch...it's just incredible. He's one of the most hate-able players in the league, especially being that he plays on the Giants (ok maybe I just hate the Giants) but it's hard to knock the guy. If he can ever learn to have a little thicker skin and not let people get in his head he might be unstoppable.

To me Antonio Brown is still the best. He's such a consistent and complete player. To me he doesn't have the flaws that the other two have I almost gave it Jones but in my eyes he has to do a better job finding the end zone It seems like the only time he gets there is a 20+ yard reception. If he does a better job of that next year though and improves in the red zone though he takes the title from Brown.

I really can't see a strong argument for picking any one of these guys over the other two, though I would like to point out that A.J. Green deserves to be in this conversation.

Eh, I think he's a tier below these other three. If he can put together another season like he had this year next year, I think you might be right. Sucks he got hurt. He was killing it.

To me, there's no three ways about it, it's Antonio Brown. He combines gamebreaking speed with pitch perfect routes, great hands, and gets great separation on most defensive backs in this league. Julio, Beckham and a bunch of other guys are extremely talented, but I don't think any one of them is the complete package that Brown is.

I think my top 5 is

1. Antonio Brown

2. Julio

3. AJ Green

4. Odell

5. Doug Baldwin

Man I never thought I'd see Doug Baldwin on a top 5 receivers list. Hard to argue though. He's be fucking awesome the last 2 years. Last year I would have had DeAndre Hopkins in my top 5. If he didn't have possibly the worst possible QB situation he might have been this year.

Y'know what's crazy? I was clamoring for the Steelers to draft Jordy Nelson, Doug Baldwin, and Golden Tate because I thought they could be more athletic Hines Wards.

To me, it's between Brown and Jones. Jones may not have the TDs, but neither did Andre Johnson in his entire career.

Julio Jones for sure. The only way I put AB over Julio is due to durability as Julio always picks up nagging injuries. That being said, 17 yards per catch, highest yards per game, and he has outperformed AB in the post-season. Also, if you consider an eye test, Julio is a MONSTER. Would rather cover AB that is all I am saying. Oh and he is not a diva. Tell Freeman & Coleman to stop vulture-ing TDs from him.

Yeah, I am not crapping on him when I say this.. But OBJ is NOT on the same level as Antonio Brown and Julio Jones in my mind. It goes beyond the numbers for those guys...He's fun to watch, great, and makes some of the craziest catches -- but AB and JJ just have and give something a little extra.

I'd give AB the slight edge.

• Upvote 2

Beckham is not in this game.

It's between two men. Antonio Brown and Julio Jones.

If both are healthy, its Julio for me. Issue is, Julio keeps getting minor injuries. Based on what they've done so far, I'd say Brown is the better WR, but Julio has the potential to beat him.

To me, there's no three ways about it, it's Antonio Brown. He combines gamebreaking speed with pitch perfect routes, great hands, and gets great separation on most defensive backs in this league. Julio, Beckham and a bunch of other guys are extremely talented, but I don't think any one of them is the complete package that Brown is.

I think my top 5 is

1. Antonio Brown

2. Julio

3. AJ Green

4. Odell

5. Doug Baldwin

This would be my bet as well.

Just echoing the thoughts of you guys.

Brown and Jones. If I had to pick one, I'd say Brown based on durability alone.

Julio Jones, no questions asked.

Julio Jones at 85% is still a matchup nightmare for ANY corner in the game and better than any other WR in the NFL. AB isn't the physical specimen that Julio is.

All of you act like Julio Jones is always hurt...

Julio. Not close. Brown can find openings in the defense and use them, but Julio can body anyone he gets put up against.

And yet Brown hangs with him statistically despite having Vick and Landry Jones out there for like 10 games the past few years. Why is that?

Route running is so severely underrated. Rice was never a freak athlete. Neither was Marvin Harrison or Cris Carter.

Zack, you were the one who dismissed the TD's argument but route running is how AN gets a lot of TD's because you can't just out jump or out muscle a DB at his size. The desparity between their TD's should not be dismissed.

And yet Brown hangs with him statistically despite having Vick and Landry Jones out there for like 10 games the past few years. Why is that?

Route running is so severely underrated. Rice was never a freak athlete. Neither was Marvin Harrison or Cris Carter.

Julio's biggest weakness out of college was his route running, if you look over the years, he has improved each and every year in that aspect. He still hasn't even hit his ceiling IMO. He has a bit of a drop problem and he's still progressing in his route capabilities.

Julio's biggest weakness out of college was his route running, if you look over the years, he has improved each and every year in that aspect. He still hasn't even hit his ceiling IMO. He has a bit of a drop problem and he's still progressing in his route capabilities.

The question wasn't who has the better ceiling. The question is who is better now? The fact is that Brown's ability to create space in the red zone puts more points on the board than Julio's physicality.

The question wasn't who has the better ceiling. The question is who is better now? The fact is that Brown's ability to create space in the red zone puts more points on the board than Julio's physicality.

I'm aware. As I mentioned in my first post... it's Julio.

You think Julio can't create space while making routes but AB isn't gonna attack the ball at it's highest point with a man draped all over him like this...

julio2c-1-20-13.0.gif

or this

Jones4_2vx8fcoo_gsxetb7b.gif

I think as much as his big body and leaping ability help him do things like thay, AB's smaller frame and shiftiness will lend themselves to being able to do more as a route runner and while he's a shifty, quicker player he's also pretty good at timing jumps, catching the ball and adjusting to back shoulder fades.

Arguing based upon statistics is completely ignoring who is a more dangerous target. Brown is a phenomenal player with great hands and route-running, but Julio is faster, more athletic, and has a much better catch radius. Give me the legitimate do-it-all #1 target over a great route-runner.

Julio at his best is the best wr in the league, but for consistency (and still being pretty damn great) I'd rather have Brown on my team.

Arguing based upon statistics is completely ignoring who is a more dangerous target. Brown is a phenomenal player with great hands and route-running, but Julio is faster, more athletic, and has a much better catch radius. Give me the legitimate do-it-all #1 target over a great route-runner.

How the hell is he a "legitimate, do-it-all" guy if he can't run perfect routes and he drops shit?

The combine being turned into a dumbass spectacle has ruined the way people evaluate receivers. The best WRs ever were the ones with the greatest hands and route-running.

• Upvote 1

In what world is Antonio Brown not a legitimate do-it-all #1 target? Had to start off by highlighting that statement because I find it pretty funny. My argument also wasn't even purely statistically based. I gave solid football reasons as to why Brown is more effective in the red zone. It's great to be able to win a jump ball on a fade route but give me the guy who has a verity of ways to get open, wide open in fact, anywhere on the field. Brown's quickness and agility is a big part of what makes him so effective. Julio at his size flat out can't do some of the things Brown can.

Question here for you guys: If Julio breaks out against New England on Sunday, does that help settle this debate given that AB was basically shut down when it mattered against the Patriots?

Brown wasn't shut down really. He didn't have a big game but it's virtually impossible to keep the guy from getting at least a few catches and moving the chains. It's something consider for sure though if Jones has a bug game but idt one game should be the deciding factor in this debate. I don't think you can really say Brown chokes because he's had big games in the playoffs too.

Edited by seanbrock