seanbrock

Hall of Fame or Not

We had one of these a while back. Doesn't have to be NFL. Can be any sport. I'll start it off.

I'll start it off with :laserface:

Nope. Great numbers and a hell of a player, but he'll never have that postseason pedigree, or the overwhelming numbers (consistently behind guys like Brady, Brees, Peyton and Rodgers) that other guys in the same era have.

Brian Dawkins.

Yes, but he'll probably have to wait because he doesn't have the gaudy INT numbers.

Terrell Suggs

Nah. He didn't even really deserve his DPOY, imo. He's not even on the level of Robert Mathis and I think he might struggle to get in.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Agree that both Mathis and Suggs are fringe guys. Not sure either one will ever make it.

Eli Manning

No, too many better qbs his entire career and two spectacular playoff runs aren't enough to balance out years of average (compared to his contemporaries) regular season play IMO

Jason Witten

• Upvote 2

I always forget to name a dude, ha.

Witten should be in for sure. Hopefully he won't have to worry about being compared to Gronk or anything silly.

Geno Atkins

Atkins is in that weird window where if something were to happen and he didn't play another snap I think he's on the outside looking in, six seasons just isn't enough for me no matter how good the player is, but if he keeps up his current level of play for another 3-4 years (which, given that he's 28, I absolutely expect) then I think he's in without a doubt

Hines Ward

• Upvote 1

No. He's a talented player, but pales in comparison to the other guys of his era. He's one of those players who will be fondly remembered by us when we're old as fuck, but he's not a hall of fame guy.

Adrian Peterson.

Yes he will get in. His monster season after that injury is the defining moment in his his career. Due to the latest injury and his suspension, I think he gets in eventually and not right away.

Suh?

No on Suh. While he has been dominate at times he is not consistent enough to reach HOF status. He still has time to change that, but at 30. I don't see it happening.

Frank Gore

• Upvote 1

No on Suh. While he has been dominate at times he is not consistent enough to reach HOF status. He still has time to change that, but at 30. I don't see it happening.

Frank Gore

Gore is just a workhorse back that never really did anything flashy. 4.4 YPC doesn't scream "greatness," to me. He's on the same plane as Fred Taylor or Steven Jackson. Their best attribute was their longevity and reliability, but were they really ever the best at their position at any point?

Russell Wilson

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

It's probably too soon to tell. if he retired right now the answer would be no, but if he keeps up the current trend of making the playoffs year after year, and wins another super bowl, it'd be hard to keep him out. For right now I say no though, since you can never guess what'll happen to a player.

Steve Smith Sr.

I would put him in but with so many of his peers already getting in at the same position he'll probably have to wait a long time.

Jamaal Charles

I had to look up his numbers, because based on talent I'd love to see him in but he's been hurt so much I'm not sure if he has the numbers to back it up, so let's see:

7260 yards (59th all time)

43 TDs (tied for 97th all time)

five 1000 yard seasons

one 10+ TD season (two if you include receiving TDs)

his receiving numbers add some, but he's still #106 in scrimmage yards and tied for #139 in rushing+receiving TDs, as much as I'd like to see him in, I just can't justify it with those numbers

Anquan Boldin

Too many unspectacular seasons. Easy no.

Justin Smith

I'm surprised Boldin is an easy no, while he hasn't had any spectacular years he's #14 all time in receiving yards, #9 in receptions, and #23 in TDs, he's basically the Curtis Martin of WRs and Martin's in the HOF, given the logjam at the receiver position I don't think he'll get in quickly, but I think he'll get long consideration

Anyway, Justin Smith is a tough call, I wanted to say no, but then I looked at his numbers, I forgot about his years in Cincy so he's got his absolutely dominant time in SF and his solid years beforehand for some very mediocre Cincinnati teams, he should get strong consideration, but I think I'm still leaning toward no though I could easily be convinced otherwise

Reggie Wayne is probably a yes from me, but he's not that close to the front of the line for WRs

Jared Allen

• Upvote 1

I have to think he will get in and rightfully so because when you look at who is in front of him their either hall of famers or will be provided Peppers and Demarcus Ware get in I believe, Freeney and Mathis may be on that list as well, I have not looked but I think Allen is ahead of them.

Then consider who is behind him which is guys like LT, DT, Simeon Rice, Pat Swilling, Rickey Jackson, Greg Townsend, and Charles Haley, which 3 are in the hall of fame and maybe some of the others. He also was the sole pass rusher on his team a lot of the time unless you think Vonnie Holiday is the GOAT.

Patrick Willis

No. Hell of a player. Maybe if he played longer and won some meaningful games he'd have more of an argument...

Dirk Nowitzki

I would have to say he will get in. I think when you look at the sustained success he had, and how he made those around him better it will be hard to keep him out.

Marshal Yanda

Edited by Ngata_Chance

If TO is still waiting, how can you possibly put Quan in.

If TO is still waiting, how can you possibly put Quan in.

TO's status has no bearing on my opinion of Anquan, but you'll notice I did acknowledge that Anquan is nowhere near the front of the line at his position, TO is at the front of that line

Yanda is a yes for me, there aren't enough olinemen in there and he's been at or near the top among guards for the past decade, that should do it

since he's recently announced his retirement: Chad Greenway