Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Will There Ever Be Another '04 Pistons?

Got this idea from a youtube video. Guy has a pretty good channel if you're into hoops. Here's the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlqoLUMFkcg

Basically, will there ever be a team without a truly great super star to win an NBA championship like the '04 Pistons? I say probably but I can't see it happening anytime soon. The league is so star driven today. The guy in the video said Memphis is the only team that comes to mind and I agree with that, but the Pistons kind of dominated the East for a stretch with that squad and I don't see anyone being on that level with just basically defense and efficient scoring.

If the Raptors ever did it, would you consider Demar Derozan a transcendent star player? Probably not.

yeah I think Derozan and Lowry definitely fall into the same category as as Rip and Hamilton.

Raptors aren't dominating anyone for a period of time. Anything in the foreseeable future will be like the '12 Ravens or the '06 Bears and will be a one-off season.

• Upvote 1

The 2013/14 Spurs, kind of. I mean both Duncan and Parker were out of their primes but were still very good. They won that year as a complete team.

Mavericks weren't a Super team. They had Dirk though.

Raptors aren't dominating anyone for a period of time. Anything in the foreseeable future will be like the '12 Ravens or the '06 Bears and will be a one-off season.

I would argue the Bears had a trio of super star defensive players though. Not sure what happened to Tommy Harris but Urlacher and Briggs had long and successful careers. They also let Thomas Jones go and went with Cedric Benson.