Sign in to follow this  
Vin

So, uh, Niners gonna Niner?

I don't even.

49ers hired ex-NFL safety John Lynch as GM.

The move comes entirely out of left field, as beat writers were under the impression the 49ers would choose from Terry McDonough (Cardinals), George Paton (Vikings), and Mark Dominik (ESPN). Lynch has no background in personnel evaluation. He retired from the NFL in November of 2008 following a 15-year playing career, and has spent the last eight and a half years as a color commentator for FOX. Lynch's work in the broadcast booth was terrific and confirmation he is an outstanding football mind, but it is extremely rare for NFL teams to hire analysts to run organizations. The 49ers will hope Lynch works out better than Matt Millen, whom the Lions hired out of a similar broadcasting role to be their GM in 2001.

The hire wouldnt be as bad if the deal was shorter. 6 years? If the move fails now you got even more money on the books and the person no longer being there.

Report is he signed up to be Shanny's bitch.

:dying:

• Upvote 1

I saw on NFL.com, just the headline, reading "49ers ink Lynch, Shanahan to 6 year deals" and I was wondering who the hell Lynch was... Now I know, and now I fear for the 49ers future.

This team is a fucking dumpster fire. Holy shit.

b77aad5f220c10192ed84a14cf9cd2f6484a947a

as an aside, I haven't watched Dodgeball in a while and I completely forgot that was Jason Bateman

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 2

From what I have gathered it seems Shanny will have most of the control over roster moves and Lynch will be more of an advisor/cap & contract manager. Honestly, I have a bigger issue with the Shanahan side of the equation as I don't think he'll be a good head coach.

ESPN's Jim Trotter reports new 49ers GM John Lynch "will have final say over the draft, free agency, and 90-man roster."

Trotter reports presumptive coach Kyle Shanahan "will have final say on [the] 53-man roster." Even if Lynch has "final say," he should get plenty of help from Shanahan, what will likely be an experienced director of football operations, and the rest of the front office staff. The 49ers need to build strong scaffolding around Lynch if he is going to have early success.

Probably not the best situation for a guy who's never had a position like this to come into but I have a lot of respect for Lynch and I hope he finds success with this role. Kind of hard to judge the move because we've yet to see Lynch have this kind of job. I know i'll miss him in the booth. He's been awesome for Fox since day 1.

Yea i mean, I'm hoping the best for him as I kinda like the Niners, they have a couple Ducks...

But I've seen first hand how awful this can go, especially with how long this deal is. It'd be a no for me, dawg.

The worst part of this whole thing is that John Lynch is no longer in the booth :(. Dude is fucking great as a color commentator.