Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Pat McAfee retires

Colts P Pat McAfee announced his retirement from football.

McAfee announced he will soon begin writing for Barstool Sports. A two-time Pro Bowler, McAfee is only 29 years old but has undergone three knee surgeries in four years. Per the Indianapolis Star, McAfee had mulled retirement for "months, years even" and is "eager for the next chapter of his life." McAfee set a franchise record and led the NFL by averaging 49.3 yards per punt in 2016, but said he played in knee pain for "most of the second half of the season." McAfee doubles as a stand-up comic and has spent his free time writing screenplays and poetry. He was also openly critical of GM Ryan Grigson following Grigson's firing.

This might explain the Grigson comments.

• Upvote 1

based on his comments I would have thought if anything the new GM would make him more likely to stick around, then again after reading his full letter from twitter it sounds like he just got the proverbial offer he couldn't refuse:

https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/827024878230454272

and given the number of surgeries he's had (which I didn't realize) I think it's understandable to want to walk away from the game while you still can (walk, that is)

• Upvote 2

He definitely brought swagger to the ST unit...which was pretty poor for years (with the exception of Adam). He was a huge weapon for field position. Hard to replace, but we'll be fine.

• Upvote 1