Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

Redskins may let 2 WR's test the FA market

Impending free agent DeSean Jackson said he plans to "test the market."

"This is the first time in my career I'll hit the free-agent market," Jackson said, "so I'm definitely intrigued about seeing what's going to happen and test the market and see what's going on." Jackson made those comments in December, and the Redskins reportedly have not discussed a new deal with him since the end of the season, suggesting he still plans to hit free agency. If Washington wants Jackson back, they will have to beat out plenty of competition including perhaps the Rams and the Eagles, who drafted Jackson in 2008.
Source: ESPN
Feb 7 - 10:29 AM

Brian McNally of 106.7 The Fan reports the Redskins have yet to open contract talks with impending free agent Pierre Garcon.

Washington has also not spoken with DeSean Jackson about a new deal since the end of the season, increasing the likelihood both receivers bolt in free agency. Still, negotiations usually do not kick into high gear until the Combine, so the Redskins have time to work out a deal with either Garcon or Jackson if they so choose. It still seems unlikely Washington lets both veterans walk, especially considering 2016 first-round pick Josh Doctson's health remains in question.
Source: CBS DC
Feb 7 - 10:18 AM

Makes you wonder... Redskins have an infinite amount of money... yet they don't seem to have any interest in resigning either of these guys...

Start cringing... Captain Kirk is about to get paid something fierce.

Both Jackson and Garcon are getting up there in age. They have Crowder and they have draft picks. I'd let them test the market if they were asking for too much too.

I'd love to see either playing for Tennessee next year

I'd love to see either playing for Tennessee next year

Garcon would definitely receive interest from us. Highly doubt Jackson would.

Yeah I think Garcon's skill set will deteriorate a lot less over time than Jackson's. Once Jackson losses his speed even a little what does he have left to be a viable player in the NFL?

Garcon would definitely receive interest from us. Highly doubt Jackson would.

yeah, I think you're right about Jackson, he doesn't seem to have the mentality Robinson looks for, that said I think Jackson's speed is more of what our offense is missing than what Garcon brings, I think Garcon is really just a better version of Rishard Matthews, also as Sean noted, Jackson's speed will go a lot faster that Garcon's skills, so I wouldn't want to bring Jackson in on more than a 2 year deal, but someone's going to give him a longer contract

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

yeah, I think you're right about Jackson, he doesn't seem to have the mentality Robinson looks for, that said I think Jackson's speed is more of what our offense is missing than what Garcon brings, I think Garcon is really just a better version of Rishard Matthews, also as Sean noted, Jackson's speed will go a lot faster that Garcon's skills, so I wouldn't want to bring Jackson in on more than a 2 year deal, but someone's going to give him a longer contract

I don't think speed is all that much of a concern for Mularkey/Robiskie. It'd be nice to have, but they'd much rather have precise route running. We just fired both of our WR coaches and all throughout the season all Mularkey did was complain about how our WRs were running terrible routes, the only guy who every got any kind of consistent praise being Matthews after he pulled his head out of his ass like a 3rd of the way through the season.

I dunno how many times I heard Mularkey say in his media press conferences that "the receiver didn't run the route at the correct depth" or "WR x wasn't where he was supposed to be".

It's part of the reason Wright won't be back next season and wasn't featured much during the season. He's got speed, but he's never been one to run precise routes. Matthews and Sharpe were always ahead of him on the depth chart, and towards the end of the year, so was Harry Douglas.

A lot of people expect us to draft a WR in the first and I'm not sure I see it unless Robinson finds a guy that he's 100% certain will have no issues grasping an NFL route tree. We had to rely on a rookie last year to help our passing game step up in Sharpe and it backfired at times, and the biggest reason Sharpe even was drafted was his route running ability.

Garcon is among the NFL's best at route running, which is why I think he'd be the much more likely target between the two.

I think Washington would be incredibly stupid to let a guy like him walk, and unless he's trying to break the bank, I'd be shocked if we weren't a big player for his services.

Desean Jackson's is still one of the best deep threats in the NFL. He still has that deep elite speed that you have to account for on every single play. He automatically impacts a defensive coordinators game plan because his speed has to be account for. That's a game changing element he will bring to any club that he signs too. One day, maybe soon, he will lose a step and his effectiveness will drop. But for now, his speed is still very much in tact. I would give him no more than a 3 year deal.

There has been a lot of connections with Desean and the Eagles having mutual interest. I wouldn't mind having him back if we did sign him. But there are some other developments that have caught my interest. Brandin Cooks being on the trade block being one of them. The Saints are asking for a first, but if that could be dropped to a 2nd and maybe a late draft pick, I'm all on board. Brandon Marshall got released too. If we could trade for Cook and pick up Marshall, it would be a dream come true. Our receiving corps would go from the worst in the league to very solid.

According to Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline, the "belief" among league personnel at the Combine is free agent DeSean Jackson will sign with the Bucs.

Vertical speedster Jackson would be an ideal stylistic complement to Mike Evans in Tampa Bay, and prevent Evans from facing the double teams he commanded more and more as last season progressed. Although Jackson is 30 years old, he can still lift the lid. He has led the NFL in yards per reception in two of the last three seasons. Pauline expects D-Jax to land $12 million annually

​I'd be on board with this, we need a speed threat and Jameis has already gone public expressing his interest in having him here.

I honestly think that Desean joining the Bucs makes the most sense. Mike Evans on one side with Desean on the other? That spells problems. Winston has the arm to get it deep to Desean too. I like that destination for Desean.