Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Osweiler to Cleveland

Houston Texans trade Brock Osweiler, 2018 second-round pick to Cleveland Browns

Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer
The Texans are trading quarterback Brock Osweiler and a 2018 second-round pick to Cleveland, which will take Osweiler's $16 million guaranteed salary off of Houston's books, league sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.
While Osweiler is technically coming to Cleveland in the deal, league sources tell ESPN's Pat McManamon that the team is not acquiring him to be its quarterback. The move clears millions in salary-cap space for Houston to intensify its efforts to sign Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, sources said.
Romo is expected to be traded by the Cowboys.
To be exact, Houston will save $16 million in cash and $10 million against their cap this season.
The Texans also will get the Browns' fourth-round pick this year in exchange for their own sixth-round pick. So Cleveland gets Osweiler's contract, a 2018 second-round pick and a 2017 sixth-round pick, and Houston gets Cleveland's 2017 fourth-round pick, saves $10 million in salary-cap space and $16 million in cash.
Cleveland is not committed to keeping Osweiler, 26, and is likely to try to trade him, sources said. If that happens, the deal would turn into a basketball-like trade in which NBA teams routinely trade contracts to get them off their books. That kind of move rarely happens in the NFL.
It's hard to remember another time in the salary-cap era when a team traded a contract to get it off its books. But Houston was so eager to rid itself of Osweiler and turn the page to its next quarterbacking chapter that it is giving Cleveland extra picks to take him and his contract.
The Browns headed into this free-agent signing period with more than $100 million worth of salary-cap space and would struggle to spend it all. Now they can devote some of it to Osweiler's contract and acquiring extra draft picks from Houston.

thoughts?

Good move. Now if the Browns can flip him to another team for a pick they will look like huge winners.

They can eat most if not all the remaining money he has left anyways.

But if they just outright cut him, they may of violated NFL rules by basically buying a draft pick.

Tbh if I'm the Browns I let him compete for the job in camp at least, but I could see them just cutting bait and running.

Bucman, you mentioned that if the Browns flip him they'll have to eat some of the cap hit, do you have a source for that? just curious, I'd be really interested to see details of that rule

Bucman, you mentioned that if the Browns flip him they'll have to eat some of the cap hit, do you have a source for that? just curious, I'd be really interested to see details of that rule

Peter SchragerVerified account @PSchrags 5m5 minutes ago

Browns shopping Brock Osweiller. Buzz is they're looking for picks and are willing to eat some of his salary. Moneyball meets NFL! @gmfb

Okay, so not by rule but they've got the cap space to eat some and improve the deal for another team, which Houston can't do.

Edited by oochymp

Yes. Which is why it made sense for Houston to just trade him there. Browns can absorb it, they can sweeten the pot by taking more salary on and hope they can flip him again for a pick.

Houston meanwhile can put a full court press on for Romo now. I think they may be the favorites. They have a better OL, WR core pretty damn close, the defense is still amazing and the division is a lot easier.

Does...does Cleveland have one of the best front offices in the league?

Does...does Cleveland have one of the best front offices in the league?

We'll just have to see, they nearly went 0-16 last year it's hard to call them the best at anything but this was a pretty interesting move.

Wow, that's certainly a move. If the Browns can dump Os to someone they'll be in good shape, but I don't think any team would want him, even as a backup.

Cleveland is in good shape even if they just cut Brock outright.

• Upvote 2

Good for the Texans short-term, but obviously Cleveland won the trade long-term. (Unless they do what they always do and fuck up the use for the pick)

• Upvote 1

Wow I didn't think there was anyway the Texans could get out from under that contract. Now they probably bring back Bouye and cam afford Romo too. If Romo is healthy Houston is dangerous.

Wow I didn't think there was anyway the Texans could get out from under that contract. Now they probably bring back Bouye and cam afford Romo too. If Romo is healthy Houston is dangerous.

Bouye signed with the Jags

but yes, this move probably means Houston's gonna make a big push for Romo

What? Lmao that article just makes Brock look like a gigantic bitch.

*Nevermind, source isn't even credible. *

Edited by Sparty

Yes. Which is why it made sense for Houston to just trade him there. Browns can absorb it, they can sweeten the pot by taking more salary on and hope they can flip him again for a pick.

Houston meanwhile can put a full court press on for Romo now. I think they may be the favorites. They have a better OL, WR core pretty damn close, the defense is still amazing and the division is a lot easier.

Titans and Jags did pretty well in FA and Titans have two first round (high) picks.

Titans will be very tough this year and I would not be surprised to see Indy rebound.

Jags also should start seeing some dividends on their D.

AFC south should be vastly improved and even dangerous this year.

I'm not happy that it cost Texans next year's second but getting rid of Osweiler was worth it.

Texans just got better by deduction and it frees up a valuable 53 spot.

Also wont have to count him in the QB corp - it is not a good idea to carry more than 3 QB's on a squad and you run a risk stashing a QB on a practice squad.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel