Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Is Democracy Dead?

Look at any favorability poll in the country right now and both parties, the media and the president have NEVER been so unpopular. There hasn't even been a meaningful response to this phenomenon by more than a handful of politicians. There's been a lot of marches and protests and petitions and no response other than the doubling down by our leadership on the same rhetoric and policies that most people in this country hate. What is this all leading up to?

Do you have any meaningful thoughts of your own to add to the discussion?

I agree with Blot's sentiment that it's a bit of an overblown statement, but I do think we're starting to see more of an awakening towards democracy again. We elected a fucking reality show host as president.

I think we're honestly just seeing much more transparency because the public is able to get a hold of formerly limited information much easier now. It's resulting in a government scramble for everyone to cover their own asses and adapt to the digital age that has allowed so much to come out to the public.

Democracy is always in danger of dying, but it's a bit hyperbolic to say it's dead right now. When the people finally lose the will to fight for their freedom, then democracy can be buried.

We have a lot of work to do. Hard to say a country that has unfavorable polling almost across the board is democratic. The frame work is still there but it's been so subverted over the past few decades that our government only represents the richest of the rich. This is inarguable in my eyes.