Sign in to follow this  
DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

D-Mac Slandering $wag Kelly

I think part of why I like his pocket presence is the fact he doesn't have any fear when releasing the football under pressure. Granted, that can get him into some sticky situations when he starts throwing off his back foot and not following through on his motion properly. For a 6'2" guy, he handles pressure in the pocket like a 6'4" guy and from what I saw he keeps his eyes down the field. I'm also in love with his mechanics when he puts it all together, and when he has the time to make a proper throw he can show great accuracy due to proper weight transition from lower to upper body.

That said, I entirely agree about the decision-making being a huge flaw. He can showcase great anticipation at times, but that is counteracted by the fact he will continually try to forces passes that shouldn't be forced. He can go through his reads if he doesn't get too cocky, but you really have to rein that in if you want him to ever be anything but a turnover machine.

I disagree with holding Wharton's charting against Kelly, as many of the other quarterbacks are far worse at being unable to complete passes on third and fourth down. That's not always that high of a completion percentage down anyways due to the defense anticipating it on long yardage situations

IMO he is very similar to Jameis Winston as a prospect. As prospects, both had serious issues with their mechanics and the inconsistencies in their weight transitioning. Both can showcase top tier arm talent, and great anticipation, but they are way too quick to lock onto a single target and force the ball. Both play with serious balls under pressure, and aren't afraid to stand in the pocket and take a hit if it means getting the pass off. Both have off-the-field issues that are pretty serious and need to be thoroughly vetted before consideration.

Also, I don't think anyone is going to go after you for putting so much time into this. I run my own website and have 350+ prospect reports FFS, and I've gotten only positive feedback in terms of the time and effort I dedicate to it.

Edited by Chernobyl420

TLDR; lolDmac nice essay bro

JK. Honestly, I don't really disagree with anything you have said. Here is the thing. The traits that you have given Kelly credit for go a long way in the NFL. Strong arm, accurate, and can make anticipation throws. The thing that jumps out on tape is that he is willing to throw into tight windows and can make those throws. Obviously, it is a blessing and a curse with the decision making issues.

And yes, based on the tape or his individual talent, I do think he is one of the better prospects in the draft. He is my personal favorite talent due to his arm and his gun-slinging play style. That being said, as far as his draft value is concerned, my opinion is different. My biggest concerns are his dedication/work ethic, his maturity or character, and the injury history. These alone make him untouchable prior to the 4th or 5th round.

Disclaimer: I am no expert nor will I pretend to be. See: Hackenberg, Prescott, etc. However, this is the first year where I have sat down and actually watched tape instead of skating by on what I had seen on TV or read. Building off of this, I just do not understand how you can be so vehemently against Chad yet Mahomes is your boy? Inaccurate with a big arm, how many times have we seen that play out? I mean the kid couldn't hit a out route or a deep ball without pads on at the combine...

So DMAC is saying Chad Kelly is what a guy named Jim McMahon was out of BYU 35 years ago?

TLDR; lolDmac nice essay bro

JK. Honestly, I don't really disagree with anything you have said. Here is the thing. The traits that you have given Kelly credit for go a long way in the NFL. Strong arm, accurate, and can make anticipation throws. The thing that jumps out on tape is that he is willing to throw into tight windows and can make those throws. Obviously, it is a blessing and a curse with the decision making issues.

And yes, based on the tape or his individual talent, I do think he is one of the better prospects in the draft. He is my personal favorite talent due to his arm and his gun-slinging play style. That being said, as far as his draft value is concerned, my opinion is different. My biggest concerns are his dedication/work ethic, his maturity or character, and the injury history. These alone make him untouchable prior to the 4th or 5th round.

Disclaimer: I am no expert nor will I pretend to be. See: Hackenberg, Prescott, etc. However, this is the first year where I have sat down and actually watched tape instead of skating by on what I had seen on TV or read. Building off of this, I just do not understand how you can be so vehemently against Chad yet Mahomes is your boy? Inaccurate with a big arm, how many times have we seen that play out? I mean the kid couldn't hit a out route or a deep ball without pads on at the combine...

I didn't put any stock into the throws at the combine, I was more curious about velocity and release there. His accuracy on the long ball is lacking, but he has shown improvements every season across the board, and I'm convinced he could continue to do so in the league.

But this is all relative, because realistically, I'm not really sold on many of these QBs amounting to much beyond good backup QBs.

Kelly on the right team, WILL be the best QB in this class.

His decision making can be worked out with proper coaching and the proper mentor. If he ended up behind a QB like Rivers, Bree's, Ben for a couple years it'd do him some good.

I would take him before any other QB in this class if it wasn't for his mental games, but physically he has it all more so than anyone else in the draft.

My brother and me always think the same :yep: