Sign in to follow this  
Zack_of_Steel

Your thoughts on the Steelers' draft

I honestly didn't know the draft happened Thursday until my coworker brought it up at around 1am. I don't really care to read shitty opinions on ESPN or whatever, I trust and put weight into much more of what I read here. So educate me, TGP!

-Is Watt actually good or did he get drafted for his last name?

-When was the last time a USC WR wasn't a pile of ass? Is this dude any good?

-This hometown RB, worth a 3rd?

-I don't remember the rest of the picks, I'll post them.

1 30 T.J. Watt LB Wisconsin

2 62 JuJu Smith-Schuster WR USC

3 94 Cameron Sutton CB Tennessee

3 105 James Conner RB Pittsburgh

4 135 Joshua Dobbs QB Tennessee

5 173 Brian Allen DB Utah

6 213 Colin Holba LS Louisville

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

I like the Steelers draft. Watt has the athleticism the Steelers can mold into a solid player. Watt doesn't have a lot of experience playing football compared to a lot of other prospects. Some people think that's a disadvantage but for a team like Pittsburgh I think it could actually really work out

JuJu Smith-Schuster's skill set compliment what the Steelers have at WR. He's a strong, possession WR who will get a lot of open looks and favorable match ups. I think he's going to be one of those guys that moves the chains on a consistent basis in that offense.

Cameron Sutton is a solid CB who is very much a scheme fit for the Steelers. Getting him in the third is good value in a deep CB class.

James Conner is a good power back who can be productive while Bell is getting rest and he should be a good short yardage back. I think as he continues to come back from beating cancer he'll start to get some of his athleticism back and look pretty good

As for Dobbs, he has to be better than Landry Jones right? lol

Don't know anything about the last 2 picks.

• Upvote 2

Josh Dobbs is gonna be an unholy combination of Peyton Manning and Dak Prescott. Fear him.

• Upvote 2

Personally

I'm not big on TJ Watt. Not big on either Watt. But TJ has little experience and upside IMO

JUJU in the Steelers offense is a pretty good fit, I believe he's a good RZ target and someone that will keep the chains moving.

Cameron Sutton is a good prospect... very disciplined and can instantly make an impact. My thing with Sutton is... can he handle the big boy WR's? Not many can, but you can't just be someone that teams target every play like LmaoBennySapp. I don't see that with him but his size is a slight concern.

Dobbs? Bleh. Steelers in my opinion should've gone with Swag Kelly. Put him behind Big Ben and I believe you would see something great.

Connor is my boy. Think he's a great talent and will be a great asset for the Steelers, could've waited to get him tho.

Your last two picks are dogpoo.

• Upvote 1

I think the Steelers got good value on almost all of their picks, I don't know about their last two picks. Don't really blame them for slightly reaching on Connor. Hometown kid with upside as he is probably still recovering from cancer. He was a top HS recruit.

• Upvote 1

I honestly didn't know the draft happened Thursday until my coworker brought it up at around 1am. I don't really care to read shitty opinions on ESPN or whatever, I trust and put weight into much more of what I read here. So educate me, TGP!

-Is Watt actually good or did he get drafted for his last name?

-When was the last time a USC WR wasn't a pile of ass? Is this dude any good?

-This hometown RB, worth a 3rd?

-I don't remember the rest of the picks, I'll post them.

1 30 T.J. Watt LB Wisconsin

2 62 JuJu Smith-Schuster WR USC

3 94 Cameron Sutton CB Tennessee

3 105 James Conner RB Pittsburgh

4 135 Joshua Dobbs QB Tennessee

5 173 Brian Allen DB Utah

6 213 Colin Holba LS Louisville

7 ??? Keion Adams LB Western Michigan

I like T.J. Watt across from Bud. I think he starts immediately. He is very disciplined in run defense, and has the strength to hold up against guys that are bigger than he is. He shines when you tell him to just pin his ears back and charge after the quarterback. He has great bend around the edge, and has some serious athleticism. He isn't polished with his pass-rushing technique, and relies on the bull rush more than anything, but he should be a decent starter out of the gate.

JuJu is likely going to sit behind Bryant if he comes back, but if he doesn't he could very well end up being the #2 receiver over Sammie Coates. He's slow to separate at times, but can play pretty physical once he gets the ball in his hands. He runs hot and cold with his ability to bring the ball in, though. He needs work as a route-runner, but the tools are there to get decent production.

Cameron Sutton is really just a jack of all trades kind of cornerback. He can play him on the inside, or have him line up on the outside. He's pretty fluid with his hips, and won't get turned around that easily in coverage. He plays a bit small, and doesn't always tackle well, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him start immediately.

Conner is really just an old school bruiser. He never goes down on first contact, and plays like a battering ram when you put him in short yardage situations. He isn't going to hit any big runs, as he lacks top end long speed, but he does his job well. He's an immediate backup to Bell.

Josh Dobbs is a huge project. A lot of people love his mind for the game, but he rarely shows the skills when on the field. He loves to run even when the pass is available, and relies way too much on his legs to make plays. He loves to throw from a moving platform, and it ruins his accuracy. He's a developmental quarterback who brings all the smarts you can want, but none of the actual performance on the field. I don't think he has a shot to develop long term behind Ben, and will likely be the third string QB behind Landry.

Brian Allen is quietly one of the most athletic corners in this class. He is huge, and plays like it. He doesn't have NFL caliber footwork, especially when asked to work inside, but he has serious jump ball ability. If you want to play him on an outside zone 5-10 yards down the field he'll see great success. If you want to use him as a move piece, he's going to struggle.

I don't watch long snappers :badass:

I haven't personally seen Keion, but I've heard he's an athletic LBer who has the upside to build into anything you want on the outside.

I haven't seen all the UDFA, but I doubt Kelsey, Shell, or Orndoff stick. Kelsey is a less athletic Matakevich. Shell is incredibly slow, and goes down on first contact. Orndoff has intriguing size, but can't catch to save his life.

• Upvote 1