Sign in to follow this  
Cherry

Cherry's 2018 Scouting Notebook: Nothing Stops This Train

Malik Jefferson OLB Texas

Harold Jones OLB Florida State

Azeem Victor ILB Washington

I'm doing Bo Scarborough and Damien Harris next, but after that I'll take a look at those three. Excited to see Azeem. BTW, I've got Royce Freeman uploaded now.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

Chubb gives me a chub if you know what I mean :megusta:

• Upvote 1

Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State

^ Just saw a Rotoworld post that he's a small-school prospect to look out for. Curious what your thoughts are on him.

• Upvote 1

Goedert is up, Fart. Was only able to get one game on him, but I think it was enough for a decent report :yep:

Mega bias incoming:

Shannon Brooks, Minnesota (RB)

Rodney Smith, Minnesota (RB)

Rashad Still, Minnesota (WR)

Denzel Ward, OSU

Damon Arnette, OSU

Damon Webb, OSU

Dre'Mont Jones, OSU

Jerome Baker, OSU

Chris Worley, OSU

I'll leave it at that since that is quite a tall order. Look forward to reading these.

There's no extensive tape out on any of those guys right now, Viking. Here are the OSU guys I can watch.

Jamarco Jones OT.

Billy Price OG.

Tyquan Lewis DL.

Sam Hubbard EDGE.

Jalyn Holmes EDGE.

Dante Booker LB.

This is my current list.

Deondre Francois

Jake Browning

Myles Gaskin

Jalen Hurd

Saquon Barkley

Derrius Guice

Mike Weber

L.J. Scott

Courtland Sutton

• Upvote 1

Seems a little early for Francois.

Will be eligible to declare + he was getting a lot of love early on in the process last year. Figured he'd be worth taking a look at, even if he doesn't declare.

There's no extensive tape out on any of those guys right now, Viking. Here are the OSU guys I can watch.

No worries. Actually curious to see a more objective opinion on Jamarco Jones than the various OSU sites I read.

I'm also curious, what makes these one-read systems so attractive for prospective college quarterbacks? Wouldn't they want to showcase they can handle a pro offense for the NFL? I'm genuinely not aware of the efficacy of either decision.

Edited by OSUViking

No worries. Actually curious to see a more objective opinion on Jamarco Jones than the various OSU sites I read.

I'm also curious, what makes these one-read systems so attractive for prospective college quarterbacks? Wouldn't they want to showcase they can handle a pro offense for the NFL? I'm genuinely not aware of the efficacy of either decision.

So much goes into the reasons why quarterbacks go to the colleges they go to. Coaching. Scholarships. Potential under-the-table deals to make certain schools more favorable. Weather. Campus life. Guys also develop a lot from what they do in high school to what they do in college, although a lot of them are athletically maxing out by around their junior year of college.

I don't put too much weight into the idea of having a pro style offense compared to a gimmicky college offense as long as the quarterback is executing pro concepts and showing good decision-making skills.

(I apologize if you know what I'm about to tell you about one-read offenses vs. pro offenses, so feel free to skip ahead three paragraphs if you do.)

In a lot of college offenses what you have are one-read looks where you're relying on the first option that you check to be available. If he's not available, then you either wait for him to develop or try to make something happen as a runner. That's very problematic if you're trying to convert that to something resembling an NFL offense, or trying to convert guys who can't get to their second and third options consistently.

The next best thing you have is split-field reads. The quarterback essentially has two different plays going on. He has receivers to his left and receivers to his right, and based on the amount of defenders hanging to one side of the field, he will pick a side to go to pre-snap. Then, when he snaps he checks his first target, then his second target who is in close proximity, and if neither are available he delays until one becomes open or he takes off running.

Finally, you have legitimate pro concepts which utilize scanning the entire field and checking through all of your options. It's pretty easy to tell when a quarterback is capable of going through his reads at an NFL level, and when he is not.

I think one of the big things is that the college game is built around succeeding both as a runner and as a passer if you wish to be a true threat with the ball in your hands. So a quarterback who can run the ball incredibly well but has severe limitations as a passer comes out of high school thinking he can be a prodigy college quarterback who does it all. Being a strictly pocket passer makes your offense one-dimensional, at least in the college game.

Consider Mitch Trubisky vs. Marquise Williams. As pure passers who are trying to make it an NFL level, it's not even close. Trubisky is way more developed, and capable of operating an offense that utilizes pro concepts. Williams on the other hand is arguably the more effective college quarterback, as he was more effective getting yardage on the ground. If I were looking to do an in depth look at the differences, I'd compare Williams in 2015 with Trubisky in 2016.

I honestly don't know if it's just system stuff as much as a lack of top end talent at the position out of high school. If a quarterback is capable of operating an offense with pro style concepts, I doubt the coaching staff is going to hold him back. It's likely a combination of both, though. One-dimensional passing attacks and lack of mental ability to operate a complicated offense.

• Upvote 1

L.J. Scott is up. Kalen Ballage is going to be up as well today. Gonna take a look over how much tape is up that I can use, because I typically need two full games to get a good report out on a guy.

• Upvote 1

Guess who's back bitches

I got Courtland Sutton report up. Going to do a run of QBs next, then RBs. I'll be posting weekly scouting notes as well based on what I see while watching certain games on Saturdays.

Also I AM SELLING SHIT

I'm going to be making draft binders and selling them at the end of the draft season. They will likely be available around late March or early April. These will include

- Upwards to 300 prospect sheets in full color.

- Player rankings at every position

- My official big board

- Articles I write throughout the season about various narratives and players

- A mock draft (I won't be biased for this one)

- My weekly scouting notes all compiled

- "Take them to the bank" tweets that you can save and mock me years from now about.

- Player graphics

- A custom-made cover (individual to each binder).

I may add some stuff down the road that is exclusive to the binder just so there is more incentive to buy it, but I'm likely only going to charge between $10-15 for it, depending on the demand and cost. I'll likely be losing money on it to start with, but I figure the best method of gathering followers and drawing attention to my product is by getting something physical out there that can be purchased.

So give Cherry ur $$$ so he can take an L on profit and give you quality content.

Posting three spreadsheets that I've done over the past couple days.

Austin Allen, QB, Arkansas

Logan Woodside, QB, Toledo

Mark Walton, RB, Miami

Here's to 40 spreadsheets down and hundreds more to go. :party:

Cherry is back with the always traditional video stumble. I've been leaving myself notes to work off of when watching tape for videos, but I'll occasionally miss things. Here's the video analysis for Josh Allen's performance against Iowa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwl7Z2EpeCc

That release thou is going to cause him alot of picks in the NFL

It's not necessarily the release that kills him, its the fact he gets sloppy with decisions and coverage recognition. His release isn't always smooth, but it's quick and deliberate. Being late to recognize a cornerback breaking back on the ball and trusting your arm too much to hit tough windows is what generates those interceptions at the next level.

• Upvote 1

It's not necessarily the release that kills him, its the fact he gets sloppy with decisions and coverage recognition. His release isn't always smooth, but it's quick and deliberate. Being late to recognize a cornerback breaking back on the ball and trusting your arm too much to hit tough windows is what generates those interceptions at the next level.

Bro look at the way he throws the ball it's almost a side way throw , dude isn't going to be a good NFL QB

Website now has QB and RB rankings/reports linked to it. Juicy.

15 WR reports up. Rankings will come out once I have more tape/reports out. Limited right now due to lack of 2017 games.

Buy a binder and you get to pick the player you want on the cover. Here's an example. fqBFWs.png