Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Richard Sherman & Salt Suffocation

"He's always looking at what other people are doing," says a former assistant coach who has had many talks with him. "He's made it personal. It's your fault we're not winning. It wears guys thin."

Carroll felt that Sherman was putting too much pressure on himself. "It was beginning to mount," Carroll says. Some in the building felt that Sherman had a point about Carroll not holding everyone to a high standard, but many assistant coaches shook their heads at the notion. "Pete is consistent," says Sherman Smith, the seven-year Seahawks running backs coach who was let go after last season. "He treats the rookies the same way Richard was treated."

Richard Sherman told some that he felt better after chatting with Carroll, but the feeling was temporary. "He was in a bad place," a Seahawks source says. It was clear that he felt the culture he helped build was being eroded, an erosion that predated the Butler play and traced back to the months after the Super Bowl win in February 2014, when the defensive players noticed Russell Wilson seemed to be the favored son.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19446657/seattle-seahawks-cornerback-richard-sherman-let-go-problem-nfl-2017

Long article detailing the frustration between Sherman and the Seahawks. Not sure why anybody would want him on their team. He's a diva and dividing the locker room does more harm than any amount of good play on the field.

• Upvote 1

Aparently Sherman is a future HOFer? Is this common knoledge? Am I that much out of the loop?

Anyway, it's pretty apparent that there's a rift there... They are good as long as they keep winning but I'd be curious to see what happens if that changes.

Can't wait until this asshole retires. His mere presence in the NFL annoys me.

Love Sherman. Glad that he and his defensive teammates know that Russell Wilson isn't anything special.

Also, are they really still trying to sell Bevell's play call as the correct call in that situation? Good god. We're one yard away from the endzone with arguably the best short-yardage back in the league history in our backfield, so let's throw a pass into traffic! Fucking morons. I'd be salty for a really long time too, as a defensive player, if my team had done that.

Also, this reeks of Ed Werder-style inventing a story about TO being a problem in Dallas when literally none of is teammates would back it up.

Don't believe everything you read. The Seahawks without Richard Sherman would be exposed badly on the defensive side of the ball and because he's not willing to just sit down and shut up over stupid decisions, they're trying to throw him under the bus.

Y'all don't want him, we'll gladly pair him with Xavier Rhodes (who has surpassed Sherman as of last year) in Minnesota.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Sherman is on the way down and an obvious diva. He still has some time of good quality play but it won't be sore, imo. Hit him with some quick change of direction routes like a slant or give him a good double move and you can beat him.

What would you give up to get him Bware?

Edited by Banned4Ever

His age is an issue. It'd take a sweet deal.

Aparently Sherman is a future HOFer? Is this common knoledge? Am I that much out of the loop?

Anyway, it's pretty apparent that there's a rift there... They are good as long as they keep winning but I'd be curious to see what happens if that changes.

Is he...not on pace to be a HOFer?

Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin was asked Tuesday to respond to an ESPN The Magazine article suggesting that some teammates believe Wilson has been, at times, shielded from critique by Seattle's coaching staff.

"I don't know," Baldwin told KIRO-AM in Seattle.

If this stuff wasn't real... wouldn't Baldwin just say he gets treated like everybody else and that the story is wrong / incorrect / false?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000812094/article/baldwin-mum-on-wilson-not-being-held-accountable

^ All of that.

Marshawn sure was smart to get the hell outta there upon retirement to avoid this colossal collapse and win anotha :trophy:

I tend to agree with Bware here. We know Wilson is horrendously insufferable. I think Sherman is more passionate and confident and that is construed as being a diva.

As for his merits on the field, I think he needs to return to form for at least a couple years to make a case for HoF. His career could theoretically only be half over, though.

I have no problem with Sherman.

I think he's a very misunderstood and intelligent individual that speaks his mind.

When you think about the grand scheme of things...

How many D Coordinators have Seattle gone through in the past 5 years? How many people have picked apart the good coaches from Seattle?

It has to be frustrating as a player to see that happen but yet your side of the ball still contributes greatly...

Meanwhile the offense staggers.. and to boot... your best RB in franchise history retires... and then chooses to come back and NOT play for the same team. Also, your QB is just a myriad of headaches and drama... and overall the offensive unit is just downright poor.

I think Sherman needs a change of scenery and he'll be fine. Put him on a contending team and he doesn't do anything but play football.

Agree with Charles on this one. I'd take Sherman on the Panthers in a heartbeat.

I'm not saying that Sherman should or shouldn't be a lock for the H.O.F, just simply that I never thought about it.

I definitely would rather have him then not though.

Russ is definitely insufferable. But I think there are better ways for concerned parties, like Sherman, to deal with the issue. Or at least, there should be better ways. Maybe he feels like his voice wouldn't be heard..? Not sure.

It's pretty hard for any of us to say what's going on in the Seahawks lockerroom. Seems like there's a division. If Wilson and Sherman aren't getting along though Wilson won't be the one on his way out. I don't think Sherman is a diva but I do think that he's an alpha dog and Seattle has kind of been the Legion of Boom's team. Now that Wilson is getting paid to be the teams franchise QB things have changed a little.

As for my team theoretically trading for him. I would be totally against being on the hook for the rest of his deal. His best football is behind him and he's spent his entire career with excellent safety play over the top. Maybe if I thought I was a CB away from a ring this year idk.

I would never want a player with an alpha dog mentality. It's idiotic and is guaranteed to rub someone the wrong way. Being a leader is NOT the same as trying to be the alpha (seriously fucking ridiculous that human beings aspire to be alpha).

I don't know Sherman, and I won't say he's actually like that. I've found him to be entertaining over the last few years. If he's a leader,great - but if he thinks he's above anyone else, that just seems toxic to me.

I would never want a player with an alpha dog mentality. It's idiotic and is guaranteed to rub someone the wrong way. Being a leader is NOT the same as trying to be the alpha (seriously fucking ridiculous that human beings aspire to be alpha).

I don't know Sherman, and I won't say he's actually like that. I've found him to be entertaining over the last few years. If he's a leader,great - but if he thinks he's above anyone else, that just seems toxic to me.

This is probably better suited for a sideline discussion but I will try and make this relevant. Humanity has survived because of alpha's. There is always going to be one in any room with more than one person, someone will always be more dominant. In Sherman's case the reason people hate him is because he is a loud mouthed blowhard alpha, who up to this point is also very good. Once he sucks no one will give a shit. You can be an alpha and not a douche, ie Marshal Yanda. Steve Smith Sr when interviewed said the one guy he would not want to meet in a dark alley is Yanda.

I would definitely not want a team full of beta males. That would be as close to the current jets roster as you can get. If nobody takes charge, or has that killer mentality than your team is bound to suck. Just as in life the alpha males tend to do better, and betas tend to have more unfulfilled lives.

-realized this isn't the place to discuss alpha v beta-

Edited by OSUViking

19059175_10154536181811722_3173269383066

Maybe not a shoe-in for a HOF but no less than strongly considered. If his age 29 and 30 seasons are elite level, I'd say definetely

This is probably better suited for a sideline discussion but I will try and make this relevant. Humanity has survived because of alpha's. There is always going to be one in any room with more than one person, someone will always be more dominant. In Sherman's case the reason people hate him is because he is a loud mouthed blowhard alpha, who up to this point is also very good. Once he sucks no one will give a shit. You can be an alpha and not a douche, ie Marshal Yanda. Steve Smith Sr when interviewed said the one guy he would not want to meet in a dark alley is Yanda.

I would definitely not want a team full of beta males. That would be as close to the current jets roster as you can get. If nobody takes charge, or has that killer mentality than your team is bound to suck. Just as in life the alpha males tend to do better, and betas tend to have more unfulfilled lives.

This really sounds like something I'd hear in college from a frat boy, Ngata. Beta males, really?

This really sounds like something I'd hear in college from a frat boy, Ngata. Beta males, really?

I would hope you would hear it from a biology class, or an evolutionary biology class. I am not calling anyone here a beta male, but they do exist. Humans are after all animals with baser drives than what we would like to admit from years of evolutionary bias for "The strong survive." I mean is that not true in nature? I think most people have a distorted vision of the alpha in that he always has to be the muscled out meathead who is a bully, or the guy who is a loud mouthed dick. That is not the case. Humans are trying to get away from this because it hurts peoples feelings but there are real world examples all around us.

Why is Conor McGregor one of the most influential athletes in the world?

Why do we still talk about Ali?

Why is Mike Tyson's power still being talked about?

Why do YOU like Gen. Mattis?

Why are contact sports more popular than non contact sports?

Why is MMA the fastest growing sport in the world?

Why when people reference animals they would most like to be aggressive ones are always near the top?

Why does sex still sell for both genders?

Why was 50 shades of Grey so popular among the female demographic?

All of those are answered by dominance or masculinity. I mean are all of these things coincidental? We are trying to get away from that, but people are just fighting biology. It seems like the more we fight it, the worse civilization gets. Why is it that every male in his bloodline almost always has less testosterone than his father but the rate of wars since this country became a nation we have seen wars become more frequent ? There is tons of interesting research being done about this and I think that people are under the misconception that the alpha male always has to be a douche. Its not true, but to deny their existence altogether is foolish imo. If you are hearing this from a college frat boy than you need new social circles, I have never been around nor aspire to be around frat boys on any extended basis. That said it is interesting there are studies done and most frat boys are beta males because they believe that strength is within the pack and not the individual. It is generally a guy who is willing to stand out and be different at risk to himself that embodies the alpha male visage.

Anywho that is all I will say as to not hijack the thread, if you want to make on in the sidieline I would be happy to participate, but this is not the place.

Masculinity is a blank term if you ask me. Look at any man in the world. They all have masculine traits. People throw around the word like it means something, and it really doesn't. We can't assign standards of masculinity to everyone. Contrary to the belief that we can put people in boxes and label them with strict constraints/bounds/whichever is appropriate, everyone (and I literally mean everyone) is their own person. We all have our own genetic makeup, we all have our own environmental stressors, and we all have different reactions; not to mention, everyone's brain is going to develop in different ways according to those criteria (and the brain's development has HUGE ramifications for how someone functions in life). Group think is hugely influential and prevalent unfortunately, but it doesn't take away from the fact that people are unique. There's no set standard for masculinity.

People are way too complex to assign the alpha or beta model to them. What you might think is beta could be something as simple as mental health issues, or just a general aversion to social contact (which is possible while being mentally healthy and neurotypical). Some people are insecure as hell, and thus admire those who gush with confidence. Some people put up portrayals of confidence and success, and are broken on the inside. Humans will never fit to a binary standard like alpha v beta, or anything else that tries to say "you're either this, or this, or this, or that". The alpha male is mostly observed in groups of animals in captivity, and to my knowledge is not especially prominent in the wild. I think some of the great apes, like gorillas and maybe chimps, might display the behavior, but it's not as extreme or violent as it is in captivity. Wolves don't behave like that at all - a male reproduces, and his family is his pack until they go on to mate and make their own packs. I'd say humans fit more with that model. We attract a mate, reproduce, and we socialize with those people in addition to others who improve our chances of survival.

This kind of concept isn't relative to humans now, and I have my own reservations about whether it has ever been relevant for our species. I don't know for sure, so I'll just keep it at "reservations" for now until I can find good sources on it. As much as people like to say Google is great, it takes a lot of digging for me to find something that doesn't have a noticeable bias to it. The alpha attitude has absolutely no place in modern society.

Edited by OSUViking
  • Upvote 1