Sign in to follow this  
Sarge

Which song currently defines your life?

Easy title is easy. Let's hear it and why.

This song is everything to me right now. I just connect with it all the way down in my soul. I'm looking ahead, not turning back to face the failures or the people that kept me away from achieving my potential for a while. Meeting new people, making a lot more money. This is really what my life was supposed to be like all along.

But there's always a cautionary tale, and in this song it is offered by the chorus. "I'm on the pursuit of happiness and I know everything that shines ain't always gonna be gold."

So now that I've been in Colombia for a year, my Spanish is quite fluent, I am making great money, and I'm meeting new people every day now it seems. I have to be careful not to let myself get involved with the wrong people. I've been getting better at filtering peoples' intentions and what kind of people they are. And if they're not going to add something good to my life or help me in my path, I don't want anything to do with them.

However at the same time, the people I'm coming to know as good friends are a different story. When I first got here, I (rightly) relied on other people for social functions and the like. But now I have turned into the person who has people over for dinner, invites people to go do things like see movies, etc...

I have not only broken out of my shell here, I have totally destroyed it. The old me is gone never to return. I am on the pursuit of happiness and nobody, not even my old self, will stop me from finding it.

Edited by Sarge
  • Upvote 2

Wall Fuck - Flume

I first seriously listened to this song as my first full-blown psychotic episode developed. I had stopped taking my medication, and instead smoked quite a bit of weed, and the combination of the two produced what I perceived at the time to be enlightened interpretations of these songs. This song, to me, symbolizes life. It starts out with sounds that are not pleasant, and it does not get better. When I first listened to this song, I was genuinely afraid at times. I could absolutely not listen to it at night as I fell asleep (keep in mind I was not in a rational mindset for most of this time). But every time I powered through it, I'd get to the end. There is a part in the middle where it switches to something more soothing, but it almost immediately reverts back to its original form. This middle part teases the end, which just sounds glorious to me. I went through a journey every time I listened to this song. There are times where things might be scary or terrible, and there might only be fleeting moments of relief scattered between dread, but in the end, there is hope. You just have to make it through the shit.

It hit home... a lot... when I first listened to it. It set me down a path where I was trying to decipher what Flume was saying in all of his songs (i.e., subtle messages). It certainly was interesting. It doesn't describe my life now, but it came to mind when I read the title.

• Upvote 1

Easy title is easy. Let's hear it and why.

This song is everything to me right now. I just connect with it all the way down in my soul. I'm looking ahead, not turning back to face the failures or the people that kept me away from achieving my potential for a while. Meeting new people, making a lot more money. This is really what my life was supposed to be like all along.

But there's always a cautionary tale, and in this song it is offered by the chorus. "I'm on the pursuit of happiness and I know everything that shines ain't always gonna be gold."

So now that I've been in Colombia for a year, my Spanish is quite fluent, I am making great money, and I'm meeting new people every day now it seems. I have to be careful not to let myself get involved with the wrong people. I've been getting better at filtering peoples' intentions and what kind of people they are. And if they're not going to add something good to my life or help me in my path, I don't want anything to do with them.

However at the same time, the people I'm coming to know as good friends are a different story. When I first got here, I (rightly) relied on other people for social functions and the like. But now I have turned into the person who has people over for dinner, invites people to go do things like see movies, etc...

I have not only broken out of my shell here, I have totally destroyed it. The old me is gone never to return. I am on the pursuit of happiness and nobody, not even my old self, will stop me from finding it.

(Congrats on everything re: Colombia... seriously jealous.)

I love this song. The chorus is great, especially the "everything that shine ain't always gonna be gold" part. There are too many times where things/people seem perfect at the time, but they are detrimental in the long run.

• Upvote 1