Who comes out on top? NFC South Edition

Shaqfu?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the division?

• Atlanta Falcons
    • Carolina Panthers
    • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    • New Orleans Saints

Three more divisions to go. The NFC South holds the last two super bowl runner ups, along with a young up and coming Bucs team, and Drew Brees with his merry men. This division could definitely go either way, and is often one of the most inconsistent divisions to place a winner. Whether you like Carolina's rushing attack lead by Cam Newton, the aerial offensives lead by Brees or Ryan, or the untapped potential of the young Jameis Winston, this division is a total wildcard.

I'm gonna stick to my gut and give the Panthers the edge here. They're off of the super bowl curse now, the team is hungry for a championship and I think Luke Kuechly is gonna come off his concussion better than ever. It's time for the Roar to Reign Supreme.

Got to go with Tampa Bay there offense looks good and they will surprise folks this year

• Upvote 1

Tampa. They have the second best defense in that division behind Atlanta... and second best offense behind Atlanta.

Which means this, Jameis goes off this year and he's the one that makes the next step and turns them into a juggernaut.

Falcons and Bucs both make the playoffs but I think the Bucs take the division.

The Bucs are almost there. Maybe once OJ Howard gets a few more experience points. Still the Falcons. Bucs can get the WC if nothing happens to Mike Evans or Jameis Winston.

I have got to say the falcons. They represented the NFC and were the best team in football. They were just undone by the GOAT. They lost no major pieces and added talent. Plus that super young defense has another year in the system and eill only be better.

I've heard the Bucs hype every offseason. They're the Jaguars of the NFC. Until they actually put it together, I will refrain from jumping on the bandwagon.

The Falcons will hit the SB hangover, and Carolina will be back from theirs.

As far as the Saints, wake me up when they actually learn to play some semblance of defense.

• Upvote 1

Jameis Winston changes that equation. I know some people on tgp seem to think Winston sucks or is overrated but the dude is a beast and it won't be long before he's challenging Newton, Ryan and Brees for the best QB in the division. I'm not sure it'll be this year because I think Atlanta and Carolina have more pieces in place but I wouldn't sleep on the Bucs and I bet none of the other NFCS teams are.

As for who I picked, I picked the Panthers. They have the best defense and they have a pretty damn dynamic offense with an elite TE, a match up nightmare at RB/slot WR, plus Benjamin on the outside.

Jameis Winston changes that equation. I know some people on tgp seem to think Winston sucks or is overrated but the dude is a beast and it won't be long before he's challenging Newton, Ryan and Brees for the best QB in the division. I'm not sure it'll be this year because I think Atlanta and Carolina have more pieces in place but I wouldn't sleep on the Bucs and I bet none of the other NFCS teams are.

As for who I picked, I picked the Panthers. They have the best defense and they have a pretty damn dynamic offense with an elite TE, a match up nightmare at RB/slot WR, plus Benjamin on the outside.

Winston does not suck, by any means. He is young and getting better every year. That said pump the brakes just a bit. The only QB Winston could hope to get on par with in the near future is Cam. Matt Ryan has been one of the top producers in the league at his position consistently over the last 8 years. Drew Brees is one of the best to ever do it, and right now is a top 3 or 4 QB in this league and on any given week he can be the best QB in the NFL. First Ballot hall of famer for sure. Winston is good but does not belong in the same breath as Brees, and is not in the same conversation as Ryan at the moment either.

I would agree with you on everything except for setting a ceiling on Winston's ability now or in the near future. He's been steadily progressing every year he's been in the NFL and now he's got some pieces to work with. I didn't pick them to win the division but I wouldn't rule it out. Obviously if the Bucs DO win the division though they'll Winston to make pretty big leap which imo is enitrely within the realm of possibility.

I would agree with you on everything except for setting a ceiling on Winston's ability now or in the near future. He's been steadily progressing every year he's been in the NFL and now he's got some pieces to work with. I didn't pick them to win the division but I wouldn't rule it out. Obviously if the Bucs DO win the division though they'll Winston to make pretty big leap which imo is enitrely within the realm of possibility.

For him to get on par with Brees in the near future would take a jump we have not seen yet. To go frim a year 3 player to first ballot type player in the next 2 or 3 seasons would be asking a lot from the kid. I wont put a ceiling on him but for him to throw for as many yards and TD's as consistently as Breesus in the next few years would be unprecedented imo.

Brady wasnt what he was for a few years after riding the pine behind bledsoe for 10 minutes.

Ben same thing

Rivers

A-rod

I mean he could hypothetically get there sure but in the next 2 or 3 seasons would be a lot.

Edited by Omerta

I don't think Winston has to be better than Brees, I wouldn't say Matt Ryan was better than Brees last year but he had the offense around him to dominate.Scheme and play calling played a huge roll too. We're not sure what the Falcons will look like without Kyle Shannahan running the show. As for Brees, he's been awesome for a long time but the Saints defense has been horrible ever since 2011 and they've made the playoffs like once or twice since then. I think on paper at least the Bucs defense is way better than New Orleans.

• Upvote 1

Winston does not suck, by any means. He is young and getting better every year. That said pump the brakes just a bit. The only QB Winston could hope to get on par with in the near future is Cam. Matt Ryan has been one of the top producers in the league at his position consistently over the last 8 years. Drew Brees is one of the best to ever do it, and right now is a top 3 or 4 QB in this league and on any given week he can be the best QB in the NFL. First Ballot hall of famer for sure. Winston is good but does not belong in the same breath as Brees, and is not in the same conversation as Ryan at the moment either.

Newton >> Ryan. Matt Ryan is perennially one of the most overrated QBs in the league. He has the best WR in the NFC to help him out. Without Julio, Ryan is nothing. Put Ryan on the 2015 Panthers and they don't win the South, at the least, not to mention flirt with a perfect regular season. Newton carried the Panthers to the SB with Ted fucking Ginn as his #1 WR.

The South goes Brees >> Newton > Ryan > Winston.

Edited by Thanatos

I don't think Winston has to be better than Brees, I wouldn't say Matt Ryan was better than Brees last year but he had the offense around him to dominate.Scheme and play calling played a huge roll too. We're not sure what the Falcons will look like without Kyle Shannahan running the show. As for Brees, he's been awesome for a long time but the Saints defense has been horrible ever since 2011 and they've made the playoffs like once or twice since then. I think on paper at least the Bucs defense is way better than New Orleans.

The Bucs defense is a fair point and could be a decider in a lot of games. The Shanny thing is also a fair point, but Ryan was dominating in the passing game regardless, it is the run game that killed them. IT would take a Cam Cameron level coordinator to fuck up Tevin Coleman and Freeman. Winston does not have to be better than Brees at all considering his defense.

That said I believe it is a two horse race. The Saints have added a lot of pieces in the offseason and not just AP, guys like Klein and Teo could be upgrades as well as okafor. Warford certainly could help the line and then their last two drafts have been heavy on defense with some good talent like Bell, LAttimore, and Rankins. I just think Atlanta is the most complete team in the division.

It very well could be highly competitive and we wont see a clear winner or front runner until the halfway point or beyond. I just think Atlanta overwhelms with offense and the only other team that can match offensive production is the Saints, but as said that defense could be improved but by how much I guess is the real question.