BwareDWare94

Chester Bennington Commits Suicide

Well seriously though. If i told you i had called a person i knew who one day, who out of nowhere left his wife and 6 kids an asshole, would you object ? The thing is though he left his wife and kids worse off with all the mental issues they will have in the future.

Is it wrong to say because he is dead? Ig so, why ? To me that just makes him a dead asshole. I actually value your feedback on this one. I dont see where what i said is fucked up. Now i know ther are dudes on here who are oversensitive who will hate it, but such is life.

Part of it's the timing; dude just died after all, but part of it is just me projecting, I think.

I think we've all had the same thoughts as you about people, but it's one thing when you're talking about random people to random people, and another when you're saying things in front of people about people they were fond of.

Feeling however you want about suicide is fine, but trying to turn a thread mourning his loss in to your feelings about suicide is a pretty dick move regardless. Not everything is about you and your opinions, you're just being a cunt going about it this way. It's like some athiest going to a religious person's funeral and telling their family that he/she isn't going to a better place because heaven and god don't exist.

There's a time and a place for opinions and debates, and an area meant to mourn the person isn't one of them.

Well it was presented as news. No RIP or what have you in the OP or title so i did not know this is where the collectice sould of TGP would mourn.

Also i did not share my opinion until blots went all social justice warrior. He could have let me have my opinion on him and that would be then end of it. We cpuld have just left it as i think the dude is a mega douche for doing what he did to his kids.

Your very first post shared your opinion. You've gone this far, might as well at least own it instead of trying to backpedal your way out of it and blame Blots for you being a cunt.

Oh i fully own it. The dude was a douchebag. I did not reveal my opinion on suicide in specifics until defending it. You can call me a cunt, but it just makes you look asshurt. Its cool though i think he was a douche, i think your asshurt, and you think i am a cunt. The world keeps spinning. Me, backpeddaling...the fuck outta here. I dont give a good god damn what any of you think of me lol.

• Upvote 1

Air has pretty much hit the nail on the head here. At the end of the day though, none of us knew Chester Pennington and we only know what we know surrounding the circumstances of his death from what we read in the news. It's not like somebody bringing up that him leaving his 6 children behind is cowardly really even means anything. I'll leave it to ya'll to fight the good fight. lol

It's not like it is some recent revelation that we don't take mental illness very seriously in this country (or heck, around most of the world). Just as a quick example, many (not all) of these countries that have Universal Healthcare... they don't cover mental health costs. How does that even make sense?

But we are also a product of our fathers and mothers. Most of our older generation doesn't even think mental illness is a real thing. My grandfather will sit there and tell you straight up that things like bi-polar and depression aren't real. Heck, go to google and if you type in " Why Mental Illness... " three of the six auto-fill results are ... "is fake" , "does not exist", "is a myth".

There have been studies done that show a lot of hospitals and doctors don't follow up with mental illness diagnoses like they do if you... break your leg or have diabetes or some other ailment. And to be fair to them, I don't think they are really equipped or trained to deal with a mental illness / disorder.

I think it stems from people wanting others to be responsible for their actions. For ignorant people like my grandfather, it's hard to comprehend why or how someone can not be in full control of themselves. They look at mental illnesses as merely an excuse for laziness or a lack of effort, or whatever else.

• Upvote 2

I don't think anybody understands mental illness, not even the people who think they understand mental illness. It's literally almost all abstract concepts and guesswork. We can't put it under a fucking microscope and study its nuances and intricacies like we can with many physical ailments.

And as shitty as this sounds, I do honestly think many people use mental illness as a crutch for a lack of personal growth, or a justification for the horrible decisions they continually make or the consistently shitty way they treat other people. I think some people use it as a power trip in personal relationships.

Do you know how many times I've heard "you're hurt? I was having a horrible day with my anxiety/depression/thoughts of suicide"?

How many of you have encountered people like this?

There's this stupid cunt in my hometown who actually has bipolar disorder and has spent time in psychiatric care. When her boyfriend doesn't do everything she wants, she posts on his Facebook about it, criticizing him for not running to her aid for the entire world to see.

How many thousands/millions of people use their mental illness to mistreat people like that?

My point--there are reasons people don't take it seriously, like personal experiences with individuals claiming to have it. Not to mention the vast number of supposed sufferers who read 10 sentences on the Internet and self-diagnosed.

Real, legitimate mental illness is arguably the scariest monster we can face in this life. That's exactly why so many people cling to it as an excuse for their own perceived shortcomings and therefore a lock to gain constant sympathy, or as an excuse for their shitty actions. In many, many cases, it is, in that respect, not real.

The truth about mental illness is that the people who misuse it cause much more damage to progress with treatment and understanding than the people who don't take it seriously.

• Upvote 2

It's not like it is some recent revelation that we don't take mental illness very seriously in this country (or heck, around most of the world). Just as a quick example, many (not all) of these countries that have Universal Healthcare... they don't cover mental health costs. How does that even make sense?

But we are also a product of our fathers and mothers. Most of our older generation doesn't even think mental illness is a real thing. My grandfather will sit there and tell you straight up that things like bi-polar and depression aren't real. Heck, go to google and if you type in " Why Mental Illness... " three of the six auto-fill results are ... "is fake" , "does not exist", "is a myth".

There have been studies done that show a lot of hospitals and doctors don't follow up with mental illness diagnoses like they do if you... break your leg or have diabetes or some other ailment. And to be fair to them, I don't think they are really equipped or trained to deal with a mental illness / disorder.

I think it stems from people wanting others to be responsible for their actions. For ignorant people like my grandfather, it's hard to comprehend why or how someone can not be in full control of themselves. They look at mental illnesses as merely an excuse for laziness or a lack of effort, or whatever else.

I 100% agree. The older generation, even my parents generation, sees mental illness as something you need to just get over and learn to deal with. They think ADHD is made up just to make more money for big pharma. (And maybe we do over-diagnose it, but its certainly not made up en-masse.)

I don't think anybody understands mental illness, not even the people who think they understand mental illness. It's literally almost all abstract concepts and guesswork. We can't put it under a fucking microscope and study its nuances and intricacies like we can with many physical ailments.

And as shitty as this sounds, I do honestly think many people use mental illness as a crutch for a lack of personal growth, or a justification for the horrible decisions they continually make or the consistently shitty way they treat other people. I think some people use it as a power trip in personal relationships.

Do you know how many times I've heard "you're hurt? I was having a horrible day with my anxiety/depression/thoughts of suicide"?

There's this stupid cunt in my hometown who actually has bipolar disorder and has spent time in psychiatric care. When her boyfriend doesn't do everything she wants, she posts on his Facebook about it, criticizing him for not running to her aid for the entire world to see.

How many thousands/millions of people use their mental illness to mistreat people like that?

My point--there are reasons people don't take it seriously, like personal experiences with individuals claiming to have it. Not to mention the vast number of supposed sufferers who read 10 sentences on the Internet and self-diagnosed.

Real, legitimate mental illness is arguably the scariest monster we can face in this life. That's exactly why so many people cling to it as an excuse for their own perceived shortcomings and therefore a lock to gain constant sympathy, or as an excuse for their shitty actions. In many, many cases, it is, in that respect, not real.

The truth about mental illness is that the people who misuse it cause much more damage to progress with treatment and understanding than the people who don't take it seriously.

I know, at this current moment, four people with varying forms of bi-polar, ADHD, OCD, or ADD.

Not a single one of them uses their illness as a hammer to bludgeon their SOs or their friends with, and if they did, they would shortly cease to be a friend.

I have never once had someone tell me, "Oh you're hurt? I spent the entire day dealing with anxiety."

Honestly Bware between this and the women thread, who in the everliving fuck are you hanging out with? Maybe you just need to completely change your social circle if those are the kind of people you interact with.

• Upvote 1

The problem with the way we deal with mental illness is the only solution we really provide is drugs. In some cases that might be appropriate but the brain is amazing. People have come to function fully after a stroke even though half their brain is essentially dead. Brains have the ability to learn to compensate for a lot but it's way cheaper and way more profitable for drug companies to just feed them drugs. ADD/ADHD does not need to be treated with medication and it's an especially bad idea to give a child amphetamines while their brain is still developing.

It's why universal health care that includes full mental health treatment is so important. Most people who are homeless and in jail are at least diagnosed with mental health issues as well as addiction issues. What's the solution? kpins lol that'll DEFINITELY work.

• Upvote 1

Man...

We got some edgy keyboard warriors up in here.

Air said it, I don't give a fuck if the guy was a douche or not. A life is a life at the end of the day, and even the biggest pieces of shit have a family or someone that is mourning their loss.

I see convicted felons for murder and rape commit suicide on a monthly basis and I'll tell you this... Not one other fucking douchbag convict makes light of suicide regardless of how terrible of a person they were in this life.

Say what you want about the man

But I tell you you'd be singing a different tune when you see grown men jump headfirst 50 feet of a tier into concrete and YOU are the one that they say their last words to.

• Upvote 1

Man...

We got some edgy keyboard warriors up in here.

Air said it, I don't give a fuck if the guy was a douche or not. A life is a life at the end of the day, and even the biggest pieces of shit have a family or someone that is mourning their loss.

I see convicted felons for murder and rape commit suicide on a monthly basis and I'll tell you this... Not one other fucking douchbag convict makes light of suicide regardless of how terrible of a person they were in this life.

Say what you want about the man

But I tell you you'd be singing a different tune when you see grown men jump headfirst 50 feet of a tier into concrete and YOU are the one that they say their last words to.

Been there...done that... Didnt really move me to be honest. I dont subscribe to all lives mean the same.

I will say one thing though. I didnt realize how many people are this sensitive to suicide, and how many people think death makes you a better person than you were in life.

Been there...done that... Didnt really move me to be honest. I dont subscribe to all lives mean the same.

I will say one thing though. I didnt realize how many people are this sensitive to suicide, and how many people think death makes you a better person than you were in life.

No one is claiming that. If Bennington was a douchebag in life, he's still a douchebag in death. The act of committing suicide does not make him any worse, which is what you are claiming. You have no clue whatsoever what he was going through. Neither does any of us. Assuming he killed himself because he was selfish and didn't want to deal with something is the height of arrogance.

The man clearly had some serious issues, what with being sexually abused as a child, and for you to simply think you can judge him based on one action with zero knowledge of what he was going through, is simply wrong.

Edited by Thanatos

The problem with the way we deal with mental illness is the only solution we really provide is drugs. In some cases that might be appropriate but the brain is amazing. People have come to function fully after a stroke even though half their brain is essentially dead. Brains have the ability to learn to compensate for a lot but it's way cheaper and way more profitable for drug companies to just feed them drugs. ADD/ADHD does not need to be treated with medication and it's an especially bad idea to give a child amphetamines while their brain is still developing.

It's why universal health care that includes full mental health treatment is so important. Most people who are homeless and in jail are at least diagnosed with mental health issues as well as addiction issues. What's the solution? kpins lol that'll DEFINITELY work.

I'm glad you know better than the medical professionals. ADHD most definitely is helped by being treated with drugs. My friend occasionally forgets to take his meds and you can't talk to him when that's going on because he swaps subjects like every 3 seconds, and he really does not listen to what you're saying if you talk for more than 10 seconds. His brain just wonders around focusing on the next shiny thing.

I think its overdiagnosed, but "giving a child amphetamines while their brain is still developing is a bad idea" is basically the same logic anti-vaxxers use to try to scare people into not taking vaccines all at once. Sure its not needed for everyone, but there are definitely children that benefit a ton from it. You honestly remind me of my mom and sister, always talking about how awesome the human body is and how we don't need certain things.

No one is claiming that. If Bennington was a douchebag in life, he's still a douchebag in death. The act of committing suicide does not MAKE him any worse, which is what you are claiming.

When you have kids depending on you, yeah, i think it does. I made the comment you are referencing because if a man abandons his kids and is alive, its cool to call him a deadbeat and piece of shit. A man willingly takes his own life and abandons his kids...not douchey in the slightest and the virtue signaling begins lol. It is a laughable double standard.

When you have kids depending on you, yeah, i think it does. I made the comment you are referencing because if a man abandons his kids and is alive, its cool to call him a deadbeat and piece of shit. A man willingly takes his own life and abandons his kids...not douchey in the slightest and the virtue signaling begins lol. It is a laughable double standard.

Absolutely not. Its false equivalence. Both assume the man is 100% responsible, which is almost never the case as far as suicide goes. For example, Bennington has suffered for a long time from the fact that he was sexually abused as a child. If you haven't walked a mile in those shoes, you don't get to judge him.

Clearly, you fall into the category of people Favre and I were discussing who don't really believe in mental illness as being equivalent to physical ailments. I can only suggest you do some research and educate yourself on the relevant issues. Suggesting that people who commit suicide are the same as people who abandon their families is completely repugnant.

Absolutely not. Its false equivalence. Both assume the man is 100% responsible, which is almost never the case as far as suicide goes. For example, Bennington has suffered for a long time from the fact that he was sexually abused as a child. If you haven't walked a mile in those shoes, you don't get to judge him.

Clearly, you fall into the category of people Favre and I were discussing who don't really believe in mental illness as being equivalent to physical ailments. I can only suggest you do some research and educate yourself on the relevant issues. Suggesting that people who commit suicide are the same as people who abandon their families is completely repugnant.

Look I know this may come as a shock, but I can read, and often do. Just because I read something does not mean I have to come to the same conclusion you do, or anyone else for that matter. I don't really care how he suffered from his issues, the point is he left his kids behind, and they are going to struggle with that for the rest of their lives. So really all he did was perpetuate the pain, not a great dude in my opinion.

I like how you assume all of these things about me like I dont think mental illness exist. I guess you think from exchanging back and forth on the internet you know me, you don't. If assuming makes it easier for everyone to assume I am a horrible person, knock yourselves out, I REALLY and TRULY dont give a fuck about it. I just think its funny how all of you are trying to quiet the dissenter, ya know the thing people hate the most lol. Its whatevs though.

I have read plenty of study about suicides and being truthful if you are single and no responsibilities to children, by all means off yourself. I won't stop you, I won't begrudge your decision, and I have no real opinion on people who do. Just so you dont have to assume though, my uncle committed suicide when I was 14. Blew his head off with a sig sauer as we stood around the campfire singing songs 30 minutes before. To satisfy charlie his last words were indeed to me they were," We will run the river dry tomorrow" we went to our tents, heard him whimper and say goodbye and the blew his head off. I watched his family become destitute after that because dead men dont pay child support. His wife moved back in with my family and they eventually financially recovered. And if it makes you feel better, yes he was a coward and a douche too. I feel nothing calling him that, because that is what he was.

And you may think it is repugnant but you prove my point. If a man is dead it absolves him of responsibility for his actions, where as the guy who is alive is a piece of shit. The fact you dont see that is repugnant to me, but in the end it is your opinion, and you have to live your life how you think you should, and answer for it. I have to do the same so, so I respect your right to have an opinion, maybe not your opinions, but definitely your right.

Edited by Omerta

I'm assuming it because you are equating running off and leaving your family with killing yourself. The former is 100% on the man. The latter, 90% of the time, indicates severe mental illness to the point of the man needing medical and professional help to overcome.

If a man kills himself and was fully in control, and not suffering from severe depression or otherwise, then sure, I agree with you. If he leaves behind a family, he's a douche.

But this simply isn't the case the vast majority of the time, and I almost guarantee you not here. The way you casually dismiss his problems just is further evidence you are one of those who think that he should have just gotten over it.

Also if financial problems is what you're concerned about, I would bet his kids will be fine, given that their father was a famous singer.

All we are left with are his actions and we are all assuming it was some dark and haunted life. What if he wasn't? I mean you even say yourself the majority of the time ( I disagree, but recognize mental illness will drive a person to do it). I have known and known of people who committed suicide just because things got to hard and they did not want to face it. Maybe he missed his super bro more than he valued his family. I dont blame you for believing what you believe because you and everyone else here are doing the logical thing which is to believe what the most comforting idea is, at least to you. What comforts me most is not to absolve a guy of the fucked up thing he just did to his kids.

And that is another double standard. So if the guy is rich his kids dont suffer, but a poor guy's will. Does that make it more egregious when a poor man does it? I just think the whole thing is bullshit, and people want to make them feel better that someone they listened to growing up was not a selfish asshole which is why I have gotten the beacklash from this. Air is all wound up, and all of his hype men behind him are echoing his sentiments which is cool, I don't hold it against them that is their opinion. I dont even have a problem with them thinking their opinion and way of behaving is the only correct way, it is their prerogative and again I really could not care less if I tried to. I am just sad a mn can leave 6 kids behind and the douche who did it is the real victim. Fuck him and fuck that.

Just for the record I do "believe in" and think mental illness is real. I think it is over-diagnosed but it certainly exists.

I mentioned the financial thing because of what you said about your uncle's family getting back on stable ground financially. Of course a rich guy's kids will suffer.

We're not assuming anything, that's exactly what he's said, lol. He said he was molested many times as a child and it led him to do drugs, among other things. I guess I'm assuming he's telling the truth, but he had no real reason to lie, as he's been saying this for years.

The idea that you think you know someone well enough to know they just committed suicide because things got hard is frankly nearly impossible for me to believe. People don't just kill themselves because things get hard. You have to have some serious mental problems for you to think that's an out.

As far as opinions being comfortable, I'd argue yours is far more comfortable, as it lets you sit back on your high horse and judge people for doing something you can't even begin to fathom. It makes you feel better, because you can hold yourself as better than them, rather than looking into the systematic issues in our society that lead to situations where people don't want to go get the necessary psychological help they need because they're supposed to be all macho. It's a hell of a lot easier to hold to a black and white worldview on suicide, rather than understanding how deep and complex the issue is, and how very hard it is to come up with answers that will lead to solutions. It's much easier to simply dismiss "those people" as being selfish idiots.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 2

I'm glad you know better than the medical professionals. ADHD most definitely is helped by being treated with drugs. My friend occasionally forgets to take his meds and you can't talk to him when that's going on because he swaps subjects like every 3 seconds, and he really does not listen to what you're saying if you talk for more than 10 seconds. His brain just wonders around focusing on the next shiny thing.

I think its overdiagnosed, but "giving a child amphetamines while their brain is still developing is a bad idea" is basically the same logic anti-vaxxers use to try to scare people into not taking vaccines all at once. Sure its not needed for everyone, but there are definitely children that benefit a ton from it. You honestly remind me of my mom and sister, always talking about how awesome the human body is and how we don't need certain things.

There is plenty of research by people far smarter than I am on the effects of narcotics on the developing brain and there are a lot of ADHD medications that are narcotic's. If you don't think adderall, then I don't know what to tell you. I can also tell you that every person I've ever met with ADHD is totally fine as an adult whether they take meds or not. Most people who I know personally don't even use medication to treat it.

As far as medications for psychological problems, look obviously the drugs help in many cases. I'm not saying get rid of psychological medications but they're overprescribed imo because it's cheaper than treatment.

The idea that you think you know someone well enough to know they just committed suicide because things got hard is frankly nearly impossible for me to believe. People don't just kill themselves because things get hard. You have to have some serious mental problems for you to think that's an out.

As far as opinions being comfortable, I'd argue yours is far more comfortable, as it lets you sit back on your high horse and judge people for doing something you can't even begin to fathom. It makes you feel better, because you can hold yourself as better than them, rather than looking into the systematic issues in our society that lead to situations where people don't want to go get the necessary psychological help they need because they're supposed to be all macho. It's a hell of a lot easier to hold to a black and white worldview on suicide, rather than understanding how deep and complex the issue is, and how very hard it is to come up with answers that will lead to solutions. It's much easier to simply dismiss "those people" as being selfish idiots.

None of us knew him that we admitted. Do you know the most harmful thing you can do to a child according to statistics? Suicide. The death of a parent is the most stressful thing a child can go through according to the data. So he passed his pain off to his kids. That is all we KNOW, the rest are assumptions by armchair psychologists who would rather pin it on society and say that he is absolved of his actions.

You are almost correct in the last paragraph. The only thing you left out is accountability. My world is harder to live in because people have to be held accountable for their decisions to a man. In turn, so must I . I do not get to pawn my problems off on society. That is what weak people do. It is society's fault for this, or for that. Society made him do it, society warped him, society is what is the real problem. No, that is passing the buck. You are in control of you, period. Don't believe me? Psychologists say that. It is no mystery, for those of you saying he should have gotten help. Psychologists will readily tell you that you are the only one that can forgive you, forgive others, and get past things. Really that is their message is that you are in control. When I fuck up I have to own it, I dont get to blame the ghost of society. That is the fundamental difference in this argument. You believe blaming society for your problems is a viable reasoning system. I believe that it is on you. If you give society the power over your life like that, only society can change it. If you own it, you can change it. It really is that simple. Stop being a victim, and become a victor. The water is sweeter on this side.

The important thing is that you've all found a way to show that you're superior.

I think shaming suicide is idiotic, but it's true. I think telling people that suicide is selfish is a pretty bad idea, because then that person will only hide away more and will likely have even more thoughts regarding suicide. But I don't think that's an issue on this board. I loved Linkin Park, but I agree with Ngata that this was a giant fuck you to his family. One doesn't get to take on the responsibility of parenthood and then some day decide that they care more about their own problems than doing what's best for their children. Parent suicides are going to be severely damaging to most people without an inherent invulnerability to trauma. I also think that romanticizing prominent suicides is so counter-productive. From my experience, my suicidal thoughts stemmed from having no worth. The thought of having millions of people saying kind things about my own suicide was comforting because I thought then people would have actually cared about me. I'm sure others think like this too. It's dangerous. People need to be accommodating to individuals whom they know are prone to suicidal thoughts, but at no point will I feel sympathy for someone who commits suicide.

EDIT: I know what suicide is like, for the record. I've been down that alley. Tried to overdose on painkillers because life was fucking empty and I couldn't feel anything. I made myself throw them up before it was too late. I realize my view on this may be harsh, but I just don't respect the thought process of just giving up. I didn't respect myself and tell myself it was ok that I gave up, I recognized it was a mistake and took note of that in my recovery. I'm not trying to project my experience onto everyone, but life is pretty incredible in that it can claw to survival by the skin of its teeth and keep going. I realize treatment is difficult, and that there is treatment resistant cases, but there's literally no problem that will ever be solved by giving up in this instance. Recovery is often possible with significant sacrifice. I have learned that the hard way, as I will likely have to leave behind habits I enjoy because they almost completely inhibit functionality. But it's what's necessary to go on. I am not going to condemn people for committing suicide, but I'm not going to respect their motives. I'll recognize that I don't fully understand their circumstances. I'm also not going to go around saying shit like this to most people. I legitimately have not encountered anyone on this board that I would think would be offended by this. It's merely an opinion, and people are not inherently bad because they have them.

Edited by OSUViking
  • Upvote 2

I didn't read this post in time, but god damn I like it. The bolded part I see on my wifes Facebook all the time. I don;t have Facebook because I dont care to connect with people, but she does. And after seeing her profile and people like that on occasion, I am glad. Waaaay too many people like that.