BwareDWare94

Chester Bennington Commits Suicide

this was a giant fuck you to his family. One doesn't get to take on the responsibility of parenthood and then some day decide that they care more about their own problems than doing what's best for their children. Parent suicides are going to be severely damaging to most people without an inherent invulnerability to trauma. I also think that romanticizing prominent suicides is so counter-productive.

This is exactly at the heart of what I am trying to say.

I don't think anybody understands mental illness, not even the people who think they understand mental illness. It's literally almost all abstract concepts and guesswork. We can't put it under a fucking microscope and study its nuances and intricacies like we can with many physical ailments.

And as shitty as this sounds, I do honestly think many people use mental illness as a crutch for a lack of personal growth, or a justification for the horrible decisions they continually make or the consistently shitty way they treat other people. I think some people use it as a power trip in personal relationships.

Do you know how many times I've heard "you're hurt? I was having a horrible day with my anxiety/depression/thoughts of suicide"?

How many of you have encountered people like this?

There's this stupid cunt in my hometown who actually has bipolar disorder and has spent time in psychiatric care. When her boyfriend doesn't do everything she wants, she posts on his Facebook about it, criticizing him for not running to her aid for the entire world to see.

How many thousands/millions of people use their mental illness to mistreat people like that?

My point--there are reasons people don't take it seriously, like personal experiences with individuals claiming to have it. Not to mention the vast number of supposed sufferers who read 10 sentences on the Internet and self-diagnosed.

Real, legitimate mental illness is arguably the scariest monster we can face in this life. That's exactly why so many people cling to it as an excuse for their own perceived shortcomings and therefore a lock to gain constant sympathy, or as an excuse for their shitty actions. In many, many cases, it is, in that respect, not real.

The truth about mental illness is that the people who misuse it cause much more damage to progress with treatment and understanding than the people who don't take it seriously.

I am absolutely confident that the overwhelmingly massive majority of people with mental illness do not do any of this. I also do not think that this behavior is because of the mental illness, but more likely because of who they are as individuals. Mental illness never presents the same way twice; depression could manifest differently between twins. Mental illness can certainly influence behavior and personality, but at the end of the day it is simply a condition that brings on x symptoms. How those symptoms influence those traits will vary between every single person in existence. It's ridiculous how people fail to realize this. That girl you're talking about? She's an individual, and that's all. She happened to have bipolar disorder. I bet that the underlying motivations for such behavior had a lot more to due with how she was raised and what her environment was like.

From now on, if you see someone doing a bad thing, all you can say when you store that in your memory is "that individual did a bad thing". It's tempting, and it feels safe to say "oh that bad person is a Muslim with schizophrenia" and assume that people who are Muslims or who are diagnosed with schizophrenia are dangerous People are afraid of the unknown; however, this is wholly irrational. No two people will ever live the same life, and they will never react to any stimuli (common or not) in the same manner. Let's not even get into the gritty details like minute differences in genetic coding and brain development and structure. Whatever demographic a person may fall into, it does not define them.

• Upvote 1

^you realize that my post would mostly apply to people who have self-diagnosed, right?

Would it be inaccurate to say that most people who claim to have depression/anxiety have never been diagnosed by a medical professional? I'm not sure that it would be. At least not in my experience. Maybe y'all live in places where it's different. Where I live most instances of this illness are perceived by the individual as a means to not hold themselves accountable nor feel any guilt over their shitty actions or decisions.

Let's compare self-diagnosed mental illness to commonly self-diagnosed physical ailments. Celiac disease is very real, but most "gluten intolerant" people are attention-seeking twats who have no real issues with gluten. It's just a convenient way to seek attention.

None of us knew him that we admitted. Do you know the most harmful thing you can do to a child according to statistics? Suicide. The death of a parent is the most stressful thing a child can go through according to the data. So he passed his pain off to his kids. That is all we KNOW, the rest are assumptions by armchair psychologists who would rather pin it on society and say that he is absolved of his actions.

You are almost correct in the last paragraph. The only thing you left out is accountability. My world is harder to live in because people have to be held accountable for their decisions to a man. In turn, so must I . I do not get to pawn my problems off on society. That is what weak people do. It is society's fault for this, or for that. Society made him do it, society warped him, society is what is the real problem. No, that is passing the buck. You are in control of you, period. Don't believe me? Psychologists say that. It is no mystery, for those of you saying he should have gotten help. Psychologists will readily tell you that you are the only one that can forgive you, forgive others, and get past things. Really that is their message is that you are in control. When I fuck up I have to own it, I dont get to blame the ghost of society. That is the fundamental difference in this argument. You believe blaming society for your problems is a viable reasoning system. I believe that it is on you. If you give society the power over your life like that, only society can change it. If you own it, you can change it. It really is that simple. Stop being a victim, and become a victor. The water is sweeter on this side.

Once again, you simply argue that he should just be able to take control of himself and get over it. Society is the catalyst that sent this man down a spiral. Your philosophy is old-school, "pick yourself up by your bootstraps" which is relevant in many cases. Mental illness isn't one of them- actual mental illness, not what Bware is referring to.

You and I simply have a fundamental disagreement on this. You clearly do not believe mental illness is on the same level as physical. You are, in essence, telling a guy with a broken leg that he just needs to believe in mind over matter and he will be fine. This is just false.

But there really is no further point arguing with you on it.

^you realize that my post would mostly apply to people who have self-diagnosed, right?

Would it be inaccurate to say that most people who claim to have depression/anxiety have never been diagnosed by a medical professional? I'm not sure that it would be. At least not in my experience. Maybe y'all live in places where it's different. Where I live most instances of this illness are perceived by the individual as a means to not hold themselves accountable nor feel any guilt over their shitty actions or decisions.

Let's compare self-diagnosed mental illness to commonly self-diagnosed physical ailments. Celiac disease is very real, but most "gluten intolerant" people are attention-seeking twats who have no real issues with gluten. It's just a convenient way to seek attention.

Self-diagnosed mental illness is not necessarily mental illness at all. If you haven't been to a doctor and attempted to get treatment, yet claim you have ADHD or w/e, then yes, many times that person is wrong. That's not what we're talking about here.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

I think my views may have been a bit harsh and too centered on my own experience. I retract that end, but I do think in the circumstances of parenthood more consideration is required. It's also easy enough to realize that said individual won't have to live with the consequences, so why care? (I had to dluse internal motivation to stave them off once I realized this.) Again, though, it's easy to say this while I'm not being whittled away by those thoughts.

You and I simply have a fundamental disagreement on this. You clearly do not believe mental illness is on the same level as physical. You are, in essence, telling a guy with a broken leg that he just needs to believe in mind over matter and he will be fine. This is just

Of course it's only relevant in convenient cases lol. Everyone can be accountable when times are good, it's when times are hard you reveal your character. We know what his was. And almost every successful person tells you it's mind over matter, change your mindset, your circumstances follow suit. You are right however in i will never agree that my life problems i get to blame on society. I have been to hell and back so i don't have much pity left to give. Kids are the general exception.

If you like motivational speakers eric thomas and les brown sum up my thoughts on mindset, accountability, and blaming others.

Edited by Omerta

Is Junior Seau, someone who suffered from CTE, a selfish douchebag for killing himself? He clearly had mental problems and needed medical help. He left children behind.

If you said no, explain how his situation is different from Chester, who clearly had mental problems himself.

• Upvote 1

Is Junior Seau, someone who suffered from CTE, a selfish douchebag for killing himself? He clearly had mental problems and needed medical help. He left children behind.

If you said no, explain how his situation is different from Chester, who clearly had mental problems himself.

How is it different? Seau had brain damage. Not that Chester had it better but there's no definite direct cause with him

To be fair, most mental illnesses are neurological damage or abnormalities in the brain. Not much difference.

My post was to see if Ngata would try to defend Seau :p

I 100% agree that there is very little difference there.

When Cherry and I agree on something, the topic is over.

Yeah, Cherry just thinks you have no right to mental health treatment and also thinks that these people should be armed to teeth CUZ FREE MAKET!!!!!!!!!!!! :usa::cigar::laserface::slingblade::bronbron::mjlaugh::geno::insidejob::usa::usa::usa:

edit: MURRICA!!!

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, Cherry just thinks you have no right to mental health treatment and also thinks that these people should be armed to teeth CUZ FREE MAKET!!!!!!!!!!!! :usa::cigar::laserface::slingblade::bronbron::mjlaugh::geno::insidejob::usa::usa::usa:

Beautiful...simply beautiful. I caught that too.

ZpTznrW.gif

Been there...done that... Didnt really move me to be honest. I dont subscribe to all lives mean the same.

I will say one thing though. I didnt realize how many people are this sensitive to suicide, and how many people think death makes you a better person than you were in life.

We totally had this conversation years ago when Ed Reed's brother died by being dumb and jumping into the Mississippi river when running from the cops. Don't remember what your comments were, but plenty were upset when I said he was stupid and got what he deserved.

I'm glad you know better than the medical professionals. ADHD most definitely is helped by being treated with drugs. My friend occasionally forgets to take his meds and you can't talk to him when that's going on because he swaps subjects like every 3 seconds, and he really does not listen to what you're saying if you talk for more than 10 seconds. His brain just wonders around focusing on the next shiny thing.

I think its overdiagnosed, but "giving a child amphetamines while their brain is still developing is a bad idea" is basically the same logic anti-vaxxers use to try to scare people into not taking vaccines all at once. Sure its not needed for everyone, but there are definitely children that benefit a ton from it. You honestly remind me of my mom and sister, always talking about how awesome the human body is and how we don't need certain things.

I know what Sean is talking about and I definitely agree. I grew up in the shittier part of town and half of the kids were being given Adderall because they had "ADHD," when in reality they just had shitty/no parents and didn't know how to behave. Working at the liquor store, I see a lot of these kids as adults and though they're mostly still in the lower class demographic, they've completely mellowed out. Some have even made a decent life in town.

I think shaming suicide is idiotic, but it's true. I think telling people that suicide is selfish is a pretty bad idea, because then that person will only hide away more and will likely have even more thoughts regarding suicide. But I don't think that's an issue on this board. I loved Linkin Park, but I agree with Ngata that this was a giant fuck you to his family. One doesn't get to take on the responsibility of parenthood and then some day decide that they care more about their own problems than doing what's best for their children. Parent suicides are going to be severely damaging to most people without an inherent invulnerability to trauma. I also think that romanticizing prominent suicides is so counter-productive. From my experience, my suicidal thoughts stemmed from having no worth. The thought of having millions of people saying kind things about my own suicide was comforting because I thought then people would have actually cared about me. I'm sure others think like this too. It's dangerous. People need to be accommodating to individuals whom they know are prone to suicidal thoughts, but at no point will I feel sympathy for someone who commits suicide.

This is the post I most align with. Linkin Park was my first "real" favorite band from 4th-6th grade--I was a LP nut. But no matter one's mental issues, suicide can never be the answer when you have already made the choice to become a parent. Becoming a parent is stating "my life is now for the betterment and survival of my offspring." He made the choice to father six children knowing full-well that he had issues. Succumbing to suicide in this situation is reprehensible.

You nailed the point on romanticizing suicide. I've always been a Nirvana hater because I felt they (Kurt) were aggrandized because he was so "weird" and blew his brains out. "Ooooh, he wrote his suicide note to his imaginary friend! What a mind!" He also mentioned his daughter that he left behind. My friend is going through a tough time and he showed me a song from the new album. I got 18 seconds in before quitting and told him as much, which prompted him to go on about Chester being so depressed and the final album being one long suicide note. It made me furious. I shouldn't have to explain to someone that suicide isn't the answer because one of their heroes did it so artfully and on his friend's birthday.

Assisted suicide I am for. Don't fucking drop a bomb on your family. It's gross and it only serves to hurt the ones you love and in the case of Cobain and Bennington, put it in the minds of others that suicide is beautiful, powerful, and rewarding. Fuck them both.

• Upvote 2

I know what Sean is talking about and I definitely agree. I grew up in the shittier part of town and half of the kids were being given Adderall because they had "ADHD," when in reality they just had shitty/no parents and didn't know how to behave. Working at the liquor store, I see a lot of these kids as adults and though they're mostly still in the lower class demographic, they've completely mellowed out. Some have even made a decent life in town..

medicating children is in most cases just anaesthetising children that schools and society are ill equipped to educate and force to conform. A lot of people who are diagnosed with ADHD are actually gifted and see that a lot of their schooling is stupid and the rules that they have to follow, pointless. I think there are people out there that need the medication but they're few and far between. Public school is meant to cultivate conformity and obedience, not leadership and independent thought. That isn't a conspiracy, that is a historical fact that I can and have backed up with evidence.

Assisted suicide I am for.

I think I was with you on Ed Reeds brother. Assisted suicide is an interesting topic. Washington just passed adeath with dignity act, I think i would have to agree.

Colombia don't guarantee it, IIRC. :smug:

yeah, in America we put our mentally ill in prison ! laissez faire bitches!!!!!!! :clap::makinitrain::Banana::bow::hifiver::coffee::cool::gatlingun::dance::cheers::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa:

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

Somebody I know shot himself this morning. We weren't hangout friends or anything but we knew of each other and it was always fun to run into him unexpectedly. He was a hell of a good guy. I stopped and had a shot of Jack in his memory after work. Fuck depression. Fuck mental illness. Like I said before, they are the scariest monsters we can face in this life.

I really don't like Hallelujah as a tribute song. Didn't like when Chester did it, don't like it now.

Props to GMA for doing this, even if there's something that feels oddly strange about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD900Z-poLk