Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Ben Shapiro

Looking for general opinions and discussion here.

Personally, I find Shapiro a bit abrasive on gender issues, but I don't feel like there's any real medical or scientific evidence available to tell him that he's wrong, either. This is probably the only real issue I have with him, though. There's absolutely no openness to anything other than what he believes. I can't stand here and say that he's factually wrong, but I do believe I can say that he goes about it the wrong way.

I do 100% agree with him that any kind of treatment for gender dysphoria should be a decision made by the individual once they've reached adulthood. Parents should not be allowed to submit their children to hormone treatments, no matter how badly the child may want them. Let them seek counseling and understanding of their thoughts, but they aren't old enough to choose to undergo such treatments.

While I find that while he's abrasive, a bit like a real life Sheldon Cooper almost, he's the kind of critical thinker that the right has lacked for a long, long time, and he has converted many young liberals to his point of view. He's obviously very intelligent and great with words, because rarely does he do anything but annihilate his opponents in public debates, and questions posed to him at forums rarely phase him.

Last but not least, the protests and violence at universities where he's been scheduled to speak, where all he's doing is providing an alternative viewpoint, are senseless and should not be tolerated or glorified. Liberal indicates freedom. Liberals should be bending over backwards to allow people like Ben Shapiro to speak their minds.

What about the rest of you?

Edited by BwareDWare94

Puberty blockers are effective and the effects of them can easily be undone. If someone under 18 wants to transition, let them live as the gender identity that they want, give them puberty blockers, and they can do the full-fledged transition when they're 18. If it turns out it really was just a phase, they can stop taking the puberty blockers and have no long term effects.

All these options already require therapy so no need to worry about that.

Also, freedom of speech doesn't mean you can't be called out for the shitty things you say. If a large population of students make it clear that they don't want their school to provide a platform to someone (and pay them as well) then that's fine. The school makes the final decision to ban the speaker.

Edited by blotsfan

:rofl:

A vast majority of what Shapiro says isn't shitty. It's just an alternative viewpoint. Young minds need to be exposed to the other side or we're effectively raising sheep for slaughter. They don't have to attend the event, but they should not be encouraged to prevent it from happening.

Idk man, I'm pretty transphobic. I find it to be completely disgusting or in some cases hilarious depending on how ugly the tranny is. From the two articles I've read about the puberty blockers though it looks like science is on blots' side. I guess live and let live idk. I don't understand it at all and I really don't care to.

A vast majority of what Shapiro says isn't shitty. It's just an alternative viewpoint.

I can't say I know much about him, but this was the same thing people said about Milo and that was horseshit then. Transphobia is 100% unacceptable, just like racism and homophobia.

First of all, he's not even transphobic. He believes they can do whatever they want and should not have their rights infringed upon, but he also believes that if their chromosomes and biology say one thing, he has a right to call them what they are. That's not transphobic--that's acknowledging reality.

As for Milo--he's an incendiary dipshit. He and Shapiro aren't even remotely similar aside from the Breitbart connection

• Upvote 1

First of all, he's not even transphobic. He believes they can do whatever they want and should not have their rights infringed upon, but he also believes that if their chromosomes and biology say one thing, he has a right to call them what they are. That's not transphobic--that's acknowledging reality.

Refusing to respect trans peoples' gender identities is incredibly transphobic. And even if it's "acknowledging reality" like he says, what good does it do? If he's a trans person's doctor then it is important to know they're biologically male. Otherwise, it's completely irrelevant and not really his business. He is just being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole.

As for Milo--he's an incendiary dipshit. He and Shapiro aren't even remotely similar aside from the Breitbart connection

Oh...

Good rule of thumb: it is literally impossible to work for breitbart and be a good person. They are effectively a neo-nazi publication. Given his last name I'm sure he's a token Jew for them to parade around to prove that they aren't, but they are, but there are zero exceptions: If you contribute to brietbart, you are trash.

Refusing to respect trans peoples' gender identities is incredibly transphobic. And even if it's "acknowledging reality" like he says, what good does it do? If he's a trans person's doctor then it is important to know they're biologically male. Otherwise, it's completely irrelevant and not really his business. He is just being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole.

Oh...

Good rule of thumb: it is literally impossible to work for breitbart and be a good person. They are effectively a neo-nazi publication. Given his last name I'm sure he's a token Jew for them to parade around to prove that they aren't, but they are, but there are zero exceptions: If you contribute to brietbart, you are trash.

It is disrespectful to critical thinking to tell someone that they either agree with what an individual thinks about themselves or they're wrong.

And I disagree with you about Breitbart. I'm not going to cite the site in an argument but they have a right to think what they think, and that doesn't make them bad people in itself. It's when they cross lines that they reveal themselves. Even though I despise Milo, even The Sexodus isn't all bullshit. Some of it is nonsense, but there is a lot of truth in its commentary about modern dating for men as well as the hypocrisy and destructive nature of radical feminism.

There's this place called Awareness where an individual can despise a person, website, organization, etc., while still acknowledging when it's right about something.

And I disagree with you about Breitbart. I'm not going to cite the site in an argument but they have a right to think what they think, and that doesn't make them bad people in itself. It's when they cross lines that they reveal themselves. Even though I despise Milo, even The Sexodus isn't all bullshit. Some of it is nonsense, but there is a lot of truth in its commentary about modern dating for men as well as the hypocrisy and destructive nature of radical feminism.

Whoop, there it is.

I will say this, just because you disagree with somebody and don't think your tuition money should go to paying for somebody to speak at your school doesn't mean it's ok to resort to violence. It only hurts your cause and makes it look like you're in the wrong.

Whoop, there it is.

What, exactly? My acknowledgement that the shittiness of modern dating is caused by women, too. That's called objective observation and identifying causation--both sexes are at fault.

I will say this, just because you disagree with somebody and don't think your tuition money should go to paying for somebody to speak at your school doesn't mean it's ok to resort to violence. It only hurts your cause and makes it look like you're in the wrong.

I agree, but in the case of the Berkeley protests, that was an anarchist group that basically used the cover of the protest as an excuse to riot.

http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/02/01/yiannopoulos-event-canceled/

I wouldn't be surprised if the CIA or some other government agency incited some of the riots too tbh. If you say that's crazy they've been proven to do things like that not only in this country but in many other countries.

Last but not least, the protests and violence at universities where he's been scheduled to speak, where all he's doing is providing an alternative viewpoint, are senseless and should not be tolerated or glorified. Liberal indicates freedom. Liberals should be bending over backwards to allow people like Ben Shapiro to speak their minds.

What about the rest of you?

Shapiro himself doesn't refer to these people as liberals...they are leftists.

I just feel like you shouldn't hold a hard stance one way or the other regarding gender dysphoria since there is subjectivity and/or uncertainty surrounding the neurological causes of gender dysphoria. The condition could be as biological as the body parts the person grew in the womb. Just because there isn't any hard evidence yet (that I know of) does not make it untrue or inconceivable.

• Upvote 1

Even if being transgender had literally no biological basis (it does) it's still shitty to not respect people's chosen gender identity.

Shapiro himself doesn't refer to these people as liberals...they are leftists.

I just feel like you shouldn't hold a hard stance one way or the other regarding gender dysphoria since there is subjectivity and/or uncertainty surrounding the neurological causes of gender dysphoria. The condition could be as biological as the body parts the person grew in the womb. Just because there isn't any hard evidence yet (that I know of) does not make it untrue or inconceivable.

I'm not a scientist so I really don't know wtf I'm talking about. The case of Gender Dysphoria being a mental disorder in the same vein as anorexia made a lot of sense to me, but blots posted an article from I THINK the CDC that said what made it different was that many people who transition genders live productive lives afterward. Anorexia leads to death if not treated close to 100% of the time. I think the suicide rates being high can be attributed to most people really not accepting trans people. I'm sure gay suicide rates are higher than normal for the same reason.

I think there's a lot of truth to what you're saying though in that psychiatry is bordering on a pseudo science. For as much as we understand about the brain there's probably at least as much that we don't. Having said that there have been trans people through out history all across the world. It doesn't mean it's not a mental disorder but it probably does mean that it's not something that was created by Social Justice Warriors.

Even if being transgender had literally no biological basis (it does) it's still shitty to not respect people's chosen gender identity.

No it is not. They are what they are. It's shitty to discriminate against them, but I have the right to believe what I believe and refer to people by their biology. I might choose not to be harmful toward them in person and use their preferred pronoun because hey, it really has no effect on me, but if I choose not to it wouldn't be a major issue realistically, and it wouldn't make me a bad person.

People's feelings should not be the driving force of our politics, period.

Edited by BwareDWare94

This would be like arguing that your pet dog is actually a dolphin and that anyone who calls it a dog is an asshole.

I'm not a scientist so I really don't know wtf I'm talking about. The case of Gender Dysphoria being a mental disorder in the same vein as anorexia made a lot of sense to me, but blots posted an article from I THINK the CDC that said what made it different was that many people who transition genders live productive lives afterward. Anorexia leads to death if not treated close to 100% of the time. I think the suicide rates being high can be attributed to most people really not accepting trans people. I'm sure gay suicide rates are higher than normal for the same reason.

I think there's a lot of truth to what you're saying though in that psychiatry is bordering on a pseudo science. For as much as we understand about the brain there's probably at least as much that we don't. Having said that there have been trans people through out history all across the world. It doesn't mean it's not a mental disorder but it probably does mean that it's not something that was created by Social Justice Warriors.

Is it written somewhere that mental disorders must lead to death if untreated or something? Seems like a weird street to go down. But yeah, I think the suicide rates are somewhat explainable due to the internal and external conflicts transgendered people face.

I can't say I know much about him, but this was the same thing people said about Milo and that was horseshit then. Transphobia is 100% unacceptable, just like racism and homophobia.

If you don't have much knowledge on Shapiro, then why would you assume he's another Milo? He's the furthest thing from the asshat troll that Milo is.

If you don't have much knowledge on Shapiro, then why would you assume he's another Milo? He's the furthest thing from the asshat troll that Milo is.

I'm saying the argument of "you shouldn't protest him! That's silencing opposing views" is bullshit because there are obviously cases where that isn't true. And if this guy works for breitbart, it means this is one of them.

I'm saying the argument of "you shouldn't protest him! That's silencing opposing views" is bullshit because there are obviously cases where that isn't true. And if this guy works for breitbart, it means this is one of them.

The way you justify your perspectives is incredible. Straight out of your ass.

Breitbart is a white supremacist publication. Just because they give you a reason to blame the fact that you can't find a girlfriend on all women doesn't make them valid.

Obviously, almost nobody can listen to 2 hours in one pop. I had to split this into over 10 sections, but this is very much worth a lesson.

• Upvote 1

IIRC he doesn't work for Breitbart anymore because they decided to just become a trump puppet. It's on the JRE podcast Bware linked.

Shapiro is just fiscally conservative without the Bible thumping.

Breitbart is a white supremacist publication. Just because they give you a reason to blame the fact that you can't find a girlfriend on all women doesn't make them valid.

Hardly a white supremacist publication. Nice use of hyperbole--so typical. As for the girlfriend comment...I can find girlfriends, just not one that isn't fucking crazy and doesn't have absurd expectations and obnoxious double standards.