Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Confederate Flags and Statues Must be Removed

I don't buy this.

The very people who birthed the flag viewed it as a symbol of white supremacy. Slavery, and the idea that God himself made whites superior to other races was the cornerstone of the south, and that flag represents it. To the south, slavery, and the power, wealth from it. This was what binded the south, and was the biggest point of pride.

Choosing to ignore the history, significance, and the message of the flag to honor it, and conjure up your own fanciful reason, or half truth, means that you do not care, or actively chose to ignore what it actually means, this does not change reality. Regardless of your intentions you are actively endorsing something.

Come up with whatever BS reason you want, but lets call it spades of spades. The flag is a symbol of racism in all it's iterations and honoring it (for whatever reason you can come up with) still makes you a racist. Their are a billion and one ways to show the government the middle finger and to chose that speaks volumes.

The Confederate flag is a piece of shit. If I had my way, I wouldn't allow it. I agree it's often a symbol for racism. Often. We don't get to decide how someone interprets something. I think the people I know who use the flag are trying to be edgy, but they're just idiots. They clearly don't see the point they're conveying when they support that flag; however, that doesn't mean they're racist. They're asinine, undoubtedly, and short-sighted, but not racist. My point that we can't whitewash any demographic is still valid. I mention this point fully recognizing that people like Nazis are often entirely detrimental to societal progress. Edited by OSUViking
  • Upvote 1

youre making just as many assumptions as you accuse me of. You believing what you qualify as a source,doesnt remotely make it a fact.

I am not denying there were racists etc.. But its ridiculous to say the flag was only to represent white superiority.

again.. you are wasting emotion on symbols. Getting rid of the flag wont do shit for anyone. Did you read what I said about my black friend? who knows more about racial history then you ever will.

Racist white guy from the 1800s writes:

"Make no mistake about it, we are superior to colored people, and this flag is our symbol."

D-Mac:

"The flag symbolizes racism because that's what the people who made it intended for it to be."

Phill:

"Stop making assumptions based off what you don't know"

Congrats Phill, you've won another argument, cause I'm not doing this back and forth with you.

Btw, don't tell a black person (me) about your "one black friend" and expect me to acknowledge it. That shits for the birds.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 1

Don't worry about PhilElliot, he doesn't even believe the Titanic sank.

• Upvote 2

You guys should double check your privilege if Phil Elliot is making sense.

You guys should double check your privilege if Phil Elliot is making sense.

Or maybe you should reconsider your stance.

Or maybe you should reconsider your stance.

No.

As people we give power to symbols. That's a fact and we should do less of it (myself included). There is no benefit whatsoever.

so, if racists start using pictures of burgers everywhere...then what?

you going to hate and ban all pro burger people?

Anyone who flies it at this point and claims to not be a racist is intentionally ignoring how that symbol is viewed by everyone who isn't underneath one.

I think the flag looks cool and I know for a fact i'm not a racist.

so basically, intelligent people have to dumb down for the idiots who think symbolism dictates thought

Another red herring, the Confederate flag was hardly used in any context until the 1950s when it resurfaced among people opposing Civil Rights legislation, that's how symbols get co-opted, they fall out of common use then are picked up by a fringe group

lol where in the hell did I ever say that???

you never said it directly, but you completely ignored a series of questions about it when Ngata and I were trying to figure out what you consider adequate proof: http://thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/79753-colin-kaepernick/?p=2614473

Another red herring, the Confederate flag was hardly used in any context until the 1950s when it resurfaced among people opposing Civil Rights legislation, that's how symbols get co-opted, they fall out of common use then are picked up by a fringe group

Why do you think they chose that for their symbol?

I like how you're more against that and people tearing down a confederate statue than literal nazis.

Nazism is auto disgust and should be assumed.

Racism like Lorde presents flies under the radar and doesn't get criticized nearly enough and it is a big problem.

• Upvote 1

Nazism is auto disgust and should be assumed.

Racism like Lorde presents flies under the radar and doesn't get criticized nearly enough and it is a big problem.

I dunno, you've sure had a good time making excuses for it. Lorde's "racism" isn't a problem. No one is trying to strip white people of the right to vote. Cops aren't regularly murdering unarmed white people. No one throws a resume in the trash because the name is "too white." Its such a non-issue, that it shows your character that you even bothered to bring it up.

It is a problem. It isn't your fault that Nazi's hit up Carolina, nor is it your fault that some pathetic loser got in his car and drove it through a crowd of people. Nor is it mine or 99.99% of people on this planet. Shifting blame doesn't fix problems and neither does insulting each other, as you like to do so often.

• Upvote 2

Do you think there is a threat of widespread racial discrimination against white people?

I'm not saying her comments weren't dumb, I'm just saying that your choice to focus on that, while minimizing the nazis is telling.

Lorde is 20 years old. In other words she's a kid who doesn't know her head from her ass. Pardon me if I disregard her political opinions.

I don't contribute to racism. I'm not in any way responsible for it.

Do you think there is a threat of widespread racial discrimination against white people?

I'm not saying her comments weren't dumb, I'm just saying that your choice to focus on that, while minimizing the nazis is telling.

I didn't say that. I think there are people who exist that are racist towards white people, absolutely. At least one out there, I promise.

And I understand that after recent events it's super trendy to say "Fuck Nazi's " . I get it. It's great. Sweet. Awesome. I've been saying "Fuck Nazi's" since the moment i learned about them. That hasn't changed for a split second... ever. I don't need validation from you or other leftists to feel better about myself and my disgust for Nazism. Plus, I think you guys have that covered.

Denouncing and separating ourselves from the extremists on BOTH SIDES (ha, see what I did there) is important. Most of you guys do great doing that for one side, but never for the other. And you are right to. Fuck Nazi's (oh shit, you got me to do it, hurrah for you). I won't apologize for nor stop discussing the other extreme mindsets out there that should be called out for their stupidity.

• Upvote 1

Lorde's statement is beyond idiotic. I've had people tell me I should feel guilty for being white, and I do the verbal equivalent of patting them on the head and moving on. Ridiculous.

I have certain privileges for being white, and for being male. People who stop there are doing exactly what they say we shouldn't be doing. Individuals who are rich - regardless of what their skin color or genetic make up is - have that advantage over me. But again, it doesn't stop there. People are infinitely more complex than their sex and ethnicity. 100% of people who don't deal with schizophrenia and OCD have major functional advantages over me. They are privileged in that sense, especially considering there's little to no stigma that states sex or ethnicity determine if someone is a mass murderer or serial killer (and yes, I've shared my diagnoses with people I thought I could trust and I watched the life drained from their eyes; it's quite depressing... People 110% treat me differently if I share my diagnosis).

I don't even think this is systemic in the sense that the actual government or legal system cause this; I think this is the result of racism still being more prominent than people want to admit. It's not an excuse for what happens, and I still admit I benefit from certain aspects. I will never ever feel guilty for how I was born (this is beyond stupid to even contemplate). I don't think we should wait for the racism to filter out, but I do think that a lot of what happens is because individuals still hold onto prejudices.

Edited by OSUViking

Lorde is 20 years old. In other words she's a kid who doesn't know her head from her ass. Pardon me if I disregard her political opinions.

I don't contribute to racism. I'm not in any way responsible for it.

What in the flying fuck does age have to do with anything? I am 20, and I do not think like this. I'm not going around saying that being 20 years old means people think like I do. Age may influence someone's perceptions or development, but it doesn't decide it. People are individuals first and foremost. It's beyond irritating when people assume that young people "just haven't experienced the world enough". Fuck that line of thinking. This topic is decreasing my patience day by day.

As if the fact that there "isn't" totally makes any problem a white person faces illegitimate.

The problem with using demographics to assert politics is that it naturally aligns people against each other. Identity politics is disgusting. Want to anger white people? Tell them they have privilege and that their opinions don't have as much value because they don't have a different skin color.

Baltimore knows what's up.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/16/us/baltimore-confederate-statues.html?_r=0&referer=https://t.co/i1EgUix2lF?amp=1

Incidentally, the state of north carolina added to its constitution that you can't tear down "historical" (confederate) statues so the durham protesters had essentially no legal means of removing that statue even if they wanted to work through the system. Given that the voices of the people in the cities were silenced by others, that means you're all cool with what they did right?

everyones getting played and they cant figure it out.

A bunch of dumb asses arguing about flags.

he should stand for that flag!

they should tear down that flag!

false flags....

flags dont do shit, you mo-rans :Banana:

getting rid of flags wont solve one problem at all, ever,never has,never will.

but the wealthy are enjoying you idiots arguing over it.

just a bunch of sheep running over a cliff for their amusement and you dont even know it.

There's a lot of truth to this. When we can say this person has the "black vote" or the "latino vote" or the "women's vote" it divides us. In reality blacks, whites, latino's and especially women because they're not even a minority, we're all in this all together. What's better for your black brother is ALSO better for you. The more civil rights people have the less can be taken from YOU. If Jamaal, Juan, and Amy have good jobs maybe YOU or your cousin can get a good job to. We're neighbors and members of the community and we can all eat each other's delicious ethnic foods.

That sounds nice, but you voted for a nazi sympathizer.

What was my choice? A "Proud" Goldwater Girl who thinks all young black males are Super Predators and whose husband locked up a generation of in privatized prisons, likely for his and his donor's profit? Pls :yao:

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1