Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Wilt Chamberlain The GOAT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBiXYlv76u4

A lot of people say he wouldn't have made it in today's NBA because he wouldn't be as dominant as he was against bigger players, but I'm not even sure the competition would have mattered because there are only a half of a handful of guys and teams that could have even competed with this dude and that video is a great illustration as to why.

1. His vertical leap. There's footage of Wilt being around the back board. When was at Kansas his coach wanted the NCAA to play with 12 foot baskets and Wilt was dunking on them with no problem.

2. The Free Throw Rule Change. Wilt used to take 3 steps back and alley oop the ball to himself for a dunk from the free throw line.

3. His Size and Speed. Wilt was a track star. He ran 100 meters in under 11 seconds in college. He was also 7'1" 275 and freakishly strong. Very few NBA Center's play at that weight currently

4. Larry Brown told a story on NBA TV about Wilt and Magic playing a pick up game. The teams were Magic, James Worthy, Bernard King, Byron Scott and AC Green vs. 43 year old Wilt and UCLA freshmen. The first game they were at game point, Magic threw a sky hook and called goal tending on Wilt's block. Wilt says they'll play again to 12 and they aren't scoring again. Wilt's team won the second game and Magic's team didn't score again.

Look, I'm not saying that Jordan isn't the GOAT, but it's not as open and shut as you would think. I think there are a couple players who could be in the conversation.

I agree, I think Wilt is the GOAT. I think Jordan is after him, not by a lot, but by enough for it to be clear to me who the greatest player in history imo was.

I'm on the LeBron wagon in the GOAT conversation but Wilt was indeed incredible. I might even put him over Jordan, too. I'm sick of the 6 rings argument that people put out there for Jordan. You run him through the gauntlet of LeBron's Finals opponents on LeBron's teams and he still sweeps, then we'll talk, because I'm 100% certain that you swap Jordan and LeBron with the Bulls, the result is still the same.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Downvote 2

I think Kareem is the best center and player ever.

My top 3 are comprised of LBJ, KAJ and Jordan, in no particular order.

In the All time ranking going on on a different site, I ranked Wilt at 5.

IDK. Everyone knows that I don't care too much for championships as long as the players have won at least a couple, but, Wilt is probably the greatest athlete of all time from a physical perspective. And in his era he was worlds apart from the vast majority of his competition... For him to walk away with only 2 championships is... A bit spooky.

And the playoff dropoff, and the fact that most of his championships came on the backs of his production decreasing in the playoffs, and finals...

My top 3 are comprised of LBJ, KAJ and Jordan, in no particular order.

In the All time ranking going on on a different site, I ranked Wilt at 5.

IDK. Everyone knows that I don't care too much for championships as long as the players have won at least a couple, but, Wilt is probably the greatest athlete of all time from a physical perspective. And in his era he was worlds apart from the vast majority of his competition... For him to walk away with only 2 championships is... A bit spooky.

And the playoff dropoff, and the fact that most of his championships came on the backs of his production decreasing in the playoffs, and finals...

The real story here is that you've been CHEATING ON US! lol

Seriously though it's so hard to say who the GOAT is. So many factors. Reducing it to some arbitrary combination of championships and statistics is kind of disrespectful to some players who have a legit claim.

• Upvote 1

Seriously though it's so hard to say who the GOAT is.

Kobe Bryant :kobe:

^Overrated chucker. Jordan is the GOAT statistically and has the best accomplishments. LBJ, Magic, Kareem, Wilt make up the group behind him.

^Overrated chucker. Jordan is the GOAT statistically and has the best accomplishments. LBJ, Magic, Kareem, Wilt make up the group behind him.

Depends on what stats you look at. I mean, Jordan was a great perimeter defender but no perimeter defender can ever be as valuable defensively as an elite rim protector. He also would have a lower shooting percentage and rebounding total than many of the great big men.

If you want to look at just pure winning from a modern day era player I would argue Tim Duncan has a better resume than MJ. He NEVER missed the playoffs, NEVER won less than 50 games, was much more valuable defensively than Jordan ever was. He also turned up in the playoffs like very few have ever done. 5 chips to 6 but Duncan never lost in the first round of the playoffs and played against and beat better competition than Jordan ever did. Duncan was the main piece offensively AND defensively to years on one of the greatest teams ever over a span of like 15 years.

Man, I wouldnt call him the best ever, but the way people disrespect Kobe is ridiculous.

Yeah, I never liked Kobe because he was a Laker and they crushed my little 11 year old heart when the Sixers made it to the finals. I've softened my stance since I found out he's a die hard Eagles fan though. Having said all of that, it's pretty crazy to say he was just an overrated chucker lol. Kobe missed a lot of shots, but he made a lot too and he was a really good defender in his prime. I will say this though, he is a little overrated. I love how people say he was this great clutch shot maker second only to Jordan. Give me Larry Bird to take the last shot over Kobe 10/10. Honestly if it's just one shot I might take Larry Legend over Jordan, but that's another story.

Hard to argue against Kareem. In his early days, he had Shaq-like dominance. And in his later days, he was still the Lakers #1 scoring and rebounding option until his late 30s, which is insane. He started his career playing against Wilt and ended it playing against Hakeem. And he was elite for all of it.

• Like 1

Kareem is the greatest scorer ever without question.

Also #3 all time in both rebounds and blocks. Sometimes the numbers really do tell (most of) the story.

Yeah I see some people saying that his longevity is why he has so many all time numbers but at his peak he was also arguably the most dominant player ever. I'm not even saying he's better than Jordan was but to say he is unquestionably the GOAT is wrong imo.

Wouldn't it have been awesome to see Jordan/Pippen and the Bulls vs. those Rockets teams with Hakeem?