Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

You're president, what do you do?

Obviously there is a limit to what a President can do and not all of us (including myself) are experts in the Separation of powers so just assume that you have congress by the balls or something and can do what you want.

1. Enforce anti-trust laws and break up media corporations, banks, Amazon, Walmart etc into MANY different companies.

2. Put a lot of bankers and heads of corporations like pharma insurance and defense contractors and Guantanamo Bay for financial terrorism. (yes I'm serious)

3. Take foreclosed and abandoned houses from the banks with no compensation and give them to the homeless first then start giving them to families who rent with preferential treatment towards minorities. Eliminate homelessness.

4. Everyone who is reasonably able to work on Welfare either accepts training to repair these homes and repair high ways, bridges, the general modernization of infastructure and green energy conversion or have their benefits either cut or slashed. I'd be cool with them getting trained to build and fix robots and learn how to code too or even sending them to school to become architects and engineers if they can pass a test or something.

5. Slash military budget. The only spending that happens goes into updating military infrastructure to modern standards. Basically replace all those 50 year old computers and shit that control a lot with modern computers

6. Health Care is a right. We can pay for it. It's not a fairy tale. We need to stop giving billions of dollars in foreign aid for countries and terror organizations to fight proxy wars for us and start investing tax payer money into programs for the tax payers. I think putting profit caps on drugs would also be a great start into reducing the cost

7. Invest in Green and alternative energy.Kennedy promised we would land on the moon. We were nowhere near capable of doing that when he said it and we still did it because we had the smartest people in the world working on it and we put money and resources into it. A lot of people say it's not viable. Not yet. We can change that.

8. Make cops have to have way more extensive training and at least require and associates degree to become a cop and fucking pay them more because of it. Also institute extensive background and psychological tests to become a cop.

9. Start giving colleges terms for federal money. They can't be allowed to jack up tuition prices, exploit student athletes etc. It might be pretty hard to make college free but we can easily make it more affordable and maybe transition into being free. If these terms aren't agreed to or met, you're cut off.

10. Eliminate the DEA and stop all federal enforcement of drug laws. Start handing pardons to non violent drug offenders and start re-integrating them into society by offering them the same kind of training I was talking about with welfare recipients.

edit: 11. Convert to the Finish education system. The way they fund their schools and the way they teach kids over there is brilliant and it also happens to cost a lot less.

edit again lol: 12. GET THE FUCK OUT OF ALL THESE WARS

Edited by seanbrock

13. Nuke Congress

• Upvote 1

Collect money. Do very little.

• Upvote 1

All joke answers aside, lets do this. No particular order to these.

1) Sexual orientation and gender identity are protected classes similar to race, religion, and age.

2) Universal healthcare. No one should be denied healthcare because they're poor.

3) Student loan interest is the same interest rate as the federal reserve if you go to a state school. I don't feel the need to subsidize private schools.

4) Nationalize the university system. The quality of your college education shouldn't come down to what state you happened to be born in.

5) Take the one aspect of the 50s conservatives like to forget: 90% top tax rate. No one will go hungry because of that.

6) Scale down the military. We could spend half of what we do and still be the most powerful military in the world by far.

7) If constitutional changes are allowed, I move to a parliamentary system. States are irrelevant. Districts are irrelevant. Organize congress as well as the presidency by how the people vote.

8) Severe restriction of gun ownership. You need to prove why you need a gun. They are literally killing machines.

9) End the war on drugs. Jail drug distributors, but not users. Users need treatment.

10) Legalize weed. On top of the civil rights issues, I just wanna get high.

11) Ban private prisons. I can't even believe this has to be said.

I'm sure I'll think of plenty more, but thats a good place for now.

1. Universal health. Duh. Always been my biggest issue and always will be.

2. Fix every crumbling road, bridge, airport, railway and waterway in the U.S. Failing infrastructure is low-key one of the biggest issues in the country, but people are worried about other shit that doesn't really matter. This would strengthen the economy immediately, not to mention lead to the creation of a lot of jobs.

3. Raise minimum wage. 7.15 an hour is slave work. I would be aggressive in the raise. $12.50 an hour.

4. Slash student loan interest rates in half. Make the first two years of university totally free.

5. Audit the Fed.

6. Eliminate standardized tests and give the power back to the teachers.

7. Paid maternity leave 1 year for the mother, 6 months for the father. Mandatory.

8. Decriminalize all drugs. Legalize marijuana.

9. Invest in green energy.

10. Gonna raise some eyebrows with this one, but here goes. I would sign a law that mandates all people get 1 week paid and 1 week unpaid vacation time per year. We need to rebuild the family unit in the U.S. Paid maternity/paternity leave and mandatory vacation time would be a great start.

• Upvote 1

How about harsh fines and penalties for companies that send their jobs over seas. Tax incentives for companies that don't exploit slave labor wages in other countries and steal money out of our economy.

Obviously there is a limit to what a President can do and not all of us (including myself) are experts in the Separation of powers so just assume that you have congress by the balls or something and can do what you want.

Kill myself, leave this shit show for the rest of you....joke...sort of.

Edited by Omerta

1. Absolve all insurance agencies in every sector with an immediate replacement that has capped rates, especially for any kind of medical, life, or home insurance. Insurances such as car insurance are capped for clearly safe drivers, but the cap disappears for anyone who has had more than one accident in which they were at fault. Any kind of agricultural insurance agency has a cap of 15 grand per year per individual. Corporate farms, on the other hand, fuck 'em.

2. Absolving health insurance in its current state will immediately lower healthcare costs, and will significantly lower the cost of emergency response services, as insurance companies dictate the cost of those services. At this point i would consider every single alternative that would cover every American citizen, or at least offer affordable coverage for every American.

3. Cut off all government assistance programs after 6 months for anyone deemed capable of working. Cap government assistance so people don't just have more and more kids in order to increase their benefits. Fuck that shit.

3B. Revamp our foster care and adoption system that has much, much higher vetting standards for adoptive families. Immediately remove any individual or couple who is running children through their home for the money and make them pay back every cent they've ever been paid for their "care."

4. Immediately make abortion illegal in most cases. It should absolutely be a safe and available medical procedure, under the right circumstances. "We don't want this child" is not a legitimate reason for terminating a pregnancy.

5. ALL wages raise by the same percentage that minimum wage goes up. Minimum wage goes up to $12 an hour. Don't bring relatively unskilled labor closer to skilled labor. That gap is there because skilled workers earned that gap by paying for an education or by busting their asses. That gap needs to stay or incentive disappears.

6. Freedom of Speech is now heavily protected. Government agencies break up and arrest all members of groups like Antifa that move from protesting to trying to prevent speeches and other forms of free speech. They can protest all they want but they can't hinder other peoples' rights.

• Upvote 1

Fuck everyone to death*.

Edited by OSUViking

1. Cap Congressional pay at $175,000 and no more. Eliminate donations to those serving in Congress, and if somebody is found to have taken any donations (bribes are what I'd call them) have them tried for fraud. Eliminate all PACs and Super PACs by eliminating their ability to donate to parties. People may still be hindered by their parties, but the power that special interests groups have will be severely cut.

2. Lower tensions with North Korea as much as possible, and stop having a dick-waving contest with them. Along with this, remove all active military forces from Iraq and Afghanistan. Allow the military forces of the Iraqi and Afghani regimes to hold the bases we have, but pull out all valuable military equipment.

3. Eliminate minimum wage, and allow companies to decide what they pay employees. Eliminate welfare and social security, but implement a negative income tax that helps those who have little or no income to remain out of poverty. This negative income tax will decrease incentive for some, but those who refuse to work will receive significantly less than those who work minimum wage when you combine wages with tax money received.

4. Make all life-saving drugs and operations paid for by taxes collected by the state. All other healthcare should be distributed by health insurance providers. All children must have insurance plans, and are able to switch companies without having to pay for pre-existing conditions until the age of 18. This ensures that children will never be forced to bear the brunt of their healthcare for being born in a shitty situation, and if a family cannot afford an adequate insurance plan for their child, the state will subsidize one. Individuals can stay on their parent's policy until the age of 26, as is the case today. Also, eliminate the restrictions on pharmaceutical products on an international level. If countries in Europe use a drug to treat a disease, we should be able to do the same without a monopoly forming in the U.S. that disallows price competition.

5. Create a voucher system for schools that gives each student in the United States $15,000 to spend on K-12 education. They may choose any school they wish with that money, and the competition among schools will allow for children to go to schools they enjoy more, and will increase effective schooling across the board. The U.S. currently spends about $11,000 per student, but some states reach upwards to $20,000. One good thing is that if this is done on a federal level, it will allow for more opportunities for children in impoverished areas. They'll be learning at a much higher level than their current underfunded schools allow them to learn.

Will add more later. Definitely a lot more to add.

Edited by Chernobyl426
  • Upvote 2

I really vehemently disagree with most of what you said but number 1 on your list is fucking badass lol

RANK CHOICE VOTING!!! I forgot that one and I think EVERYONE should be behind that. It would be a clever way around that supreme court ruling which might impossible to overturn without an ammendment to the constitution.

Eh I wouldn't want to get rid of political donations entirely. They can be a great way for a little-known candidate to get exposure. Otherwise, it makes it even more necessary to be rich to get into politics. Bernie wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the publicity he did without his donations. I would have a cap on donations though, citizens united is garbage.

• Upvote 1

Would love to discuss the ones you disagree with, Sean. I thought #2 would be right up your alley. :think:

1. Cap Congressional pay at $175,000 and no more. Eliminate donations to those serving in Congress, and if somebody is found to have taken any donations (bribes are what I'd call them) have them tried for fraud. Eliminate all PACs and Super PACs by eliminating their ability to donate to parties. People may still be hindered by their parties, but the power that special interests groups have will be severely cut.

2. Lower tensions with North Korea as much as possible, and stop having a dick-waving contest with them. Along with this, remove all active military forces from Iraq and Afghanistan. Allow the military forces of the Iraqi and Afghani regimes to hold the bases we have, but pull out all valuable military equipment.

3. Eliminate minimum wage, and allow companies to decide what they pay employees. Eliminate welfare and social security, but implement a negative income tax that helps those who have little or no income to remain out of poverty. This negative income tax will decrease incentive for some, but those who refuse to work will receive significantly less than those who work minimum wage when you combine wages with tax money received.

4. Make all life-saving drugs and operations paid for by taxes collected by the state. All other healthcare should be distributed by health insurance providers. All children must have insurance plans, and are able to switch companies without having to pay for pre-existing conditions until the age of 18. This ensures that children will never be forced to bear the brunt of their healthcare for being born in a shitty situation, and if a family cannot afford an adequate insurance plan for their child, the state will subsidize one. Individuals can stay on their parent's policy until the age of 26, as is the case today. Also, eliminate the restrictions on pharmaceutical products on an international level. If countries in Europe use a drug to treat a disease, we should be able to do the same without a monopoly forming in the U.S. that disallows price competition.

5. Create a voucher system for schools that gives each student in the United States $15,000 to spend on K-12 education. They may choose any school they wish with that money, and the competition among schools will allow for children to go to schools they enjoy more, and will increase effective schooling across the board. The U.S. currently spends about $11,000 per student, but some states reach upwards to $20,000. One good thing is that if this is done on a federal level, it will allow for more opportunities for children in impoverished areas. They'll be learning at a much higher level than their current underfunded schools allow them to learn.

Will add more later. Definitely a lot more to add.

3 is bunk. Otherwise, good list.

• Upvote 1

If you eliminate Social Security, you better return the balance to the American Citizens who funded it.

Social Security will not go broke. Conservatives have said that for years and it hasn't happened yet. It's like they view it as a government service. No. It's our fucking money.

What we need is legislation that prevents the government from ever raiding it again. They fucking stole from us and should be held accountable.

The only adjustment I'd make to Cherry's list otherwise is remove the 1 from Congressional salary. $75000 is more than adequate for the lack of work and sheer incompetence.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

gut the welfare system and replace it with a universal basic income system

:smug:

You are being facetious, right? My skill set is worth more money than others, and less than others. Pay everybody what they're worth.

• Downvote 1

You are being facetious, right? My skill set is worth more money than others, and less than others. Pay everybody what they're worth.

Well when there are robots and computers making your skill set irrelevant you may be singing a different tune. Make no mistake, that day will be here in our life time.No industry employs more people than the transportation industry. What happens when they figure out how to get tractor trailers to drive themselves.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

Well when there are robots and computers making your skill set irrelevant you may be singing a different tune. Make no mistake, that day will be here in our life time.No industry employs more people than the transportation industry. What happens when they figure out how to get tractor trailers to drive themselves.

I deserve to make more money than many professions, and many other professions deserve more money than me.

I don't want the government having more authority than they already do over my money.

Last but not least, standard income that goes to leeches and system abusers too? Fuck offffff

I'm more skilled than some people, and therefore should earn more money than they do. Plain and simple