Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Release-a-Palooza 2017

This year is the first year with only a single cutdown day from 90 to 53, which happens tomorrow, so I figured it'd make sense to have one thread to discuss the big moves, who you're surprised your team cut, who you want your team to go after, you know the drill. We're already seeing news of some cuts trickling out, though I don't really expect to see any major surprises until tomorrow, though it looks like some teams are getting a lot of their cuts out of the way today.

Only mild surprises I've seen so far (and it might just be because I'm not paying enough attention to the preseason in general) are Chris Johnson from Arizona and Matt Barkley from San Francisco.

Oh, and here's NFL.com's list of cuts, I think there are some that have been announced (or leaked) that aren't on there tho: Roster cuts tracker: Teams trim to 53-player rosters - NFL.com

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

:dolphins:

A little shocked DL Cameron Malveaux and WRs Drew Morgan and Damore'a Stringfellow didn't have someone sneak onto the team, even though they are deep at both spots. I think if Jarvis Landry gets moved we'll see Morgan get picked back up. He isn't as athletic as Stringfellow but he has hands for days.

:Pats:

WR Austin Carr got some hype due to a big TD early on in preseason and I wouldn't have minded him sticking. He's another guy who has hands for days but just didn't work in the numbers game for Pats, even with Edelman going down. DT Josh Augusta likely wasn't gonna make it due to his lack of athleticism, but he could be a PS guy or another team might snag him for PS as a NT. DB David Jones is a little bit surprising because as far as I recall the Pats need help at safety still, and Jones isn't that bad. He should get practice squad treatment. OT Conor McDermott was taken in R6, so I guess he just isn't ready to contribute immediately. He has length and size but he just always seemed awkward in college. PS project.

:Jets:

RB Jahad Thomas was interesting as a potential depth guy out of Temple, but he probably wasn't ever in the running to make the 53. Elijah McGuire's spot is sealed as RB3. I know LB Connor Harris got a lot of love later in the process but I didn't ever get to see him. Intrigued to know why a guy who to some people was a day 2 guy didn't make roster. IIRC he did go undrafted.

:Ravens:

WR Quincy Adeboyejo had a shot at the 53 with how weak the receiving corps are in Baltimore, but he is probably a PS guy. There are some off-the-field issues, if I recall correctly, so that might have contributed to not being able to hold a spot if Ravens didn't like what they saw character wise. Virginia RB Taquan Mizzell had some pretty decent stats behind a big workload in the preseason, but I'm not shocked he didn't make it. He's just a guy, but if the Ravens see something this may be an attempt to sneak him through waivers.

:Bengals:

LB Brandon Bell stands out immediately as a guy who should make PS. He had a good preseason but couldn't make it past Jordan Evans and Hardy Nickerson. C J.J. Dielman is another interesting one because he has mobility and second-level blocking, but he apparently didn't do well in preseason showings. He was a fifth round pick though, so expect him to be retained if he doesn't get picked up in waivers. K Jake Elliott was a fifth rounder as well, and lost the kicking battle to Randy Bullock. I hope he gets grabbed in waivers because if you spend a draft pick on kickers you better ride or die. Curious to see if OG Dustin Stanton makes it through waivers. I loved his game and he has some great lateral movement as a pass blocker.

:Browns:

CB Channing Stribling might make the practice squad on talent alone, but idk. I've heard really bad off-the-field stuff. That's an intriguing waive for a priority UDFA. LB Kenneth Olugbode is a surprising cut because he commanded the defense very well as a MIKE for Cleveland when he played. No way he doesn't make a practice squad.

:Steelers:

S Malik Golden and LB Keith Kelsey probably weren't going to make the 53 barring miracles, but it's going to be interesting to see them contest for a roster spot. Kelsey was a priority UDFA after draft, but he's limited as a coverage LB. Downhill thumper who needs a lot of help. TE Phazahn Odom isn't much of a surprise to be released.

:Texans:

TE Evan Baylis was likely never making the 53, but he is a decent blocker and could draw a little bit of interest. DL Matt Godin surprises me a little. I get the depth of the Texans DL, but Godin is a very capable spot starter or rotational guy. RB Dare Ogunbowale was never gonna beat out Foreman, Miller, and Alfred Blue, but he was an interesting pass catcher. Weird mold of a RB.

:Colts:

WR Bug Howard is really the only big rookie cut here, and I think they stash him on PS. Huge dude who doesn't separate well but plays the ball great. Red zone threat type. The rest of the Colts cuts were pretty expected.

:jags:

DE Hunter Dimick was damn productive at Utah, but this is a good example of an average athlete who lit up college trying to make jump. WR Amba Etta-Tawo had a snowball's chance in hell of getting onto such a loaded squad at WR. OT/OG Avery Gennesy cut :( I loved his game. He was a phenomenal pass protector but wasn't that well-rounded. DE Carroll Phillips wasn't gonna make a loaded DL group, but he could be a guy who makes PS and bides time. CB Dwayne Thomas getting cut surprises me. He's a good depth guy at worst, and I wouldn't be surprised if a corner hungry team scoops him.

:Titans:

DT DeAngelo Brown isn't terrible but is pretty limited to just eating space. Not shocked at that cut. RB Akeem Judd could've made team if it wasn't already loaded to hell and back with RBs. Same with Khalfani Muhammad who will almost certainly make the practice squad. They cut a lot of UDFA value OTs like Jonah Pirsig, Steven Moore, and Brad Seaton. Maybe Seaton or Moore make the PS.

:Broncos:

DE Ken Ekanem wasn't gonna make 53 but it's still interesting to see where he goes from here. OL Cameron Hunt surprises me. His lateral movement out of Oregon was pretty damn impressive. On a team with such a bad OL, I'm surprised. Guys like Shakir Soto and Orion Stewart not making it doesn't shock me in the least bit.

:Chiefs:

OG Damien Mama not making it hurts. He's an absolute mauler but he's so damn slow. If he loses some weight he could be in the mix down the line. S Leon McQuay III is another guy I'm surprised to see go, even with the depth in the Chiefs back seven. I think he hangs around on PS. He's a LB/S hybrid who doesn't always take clean angles but loves to get in box and slam.

:Chargers:

WR Artavis Scott likely wasn't gonna make the 53. Undersized and inconsistent hands. Holy shit LB Joshua Perry ain't make it. He was a mid-round pick from last year who was a great run defender at OSU. His coverage was always a concern, but I'd think he'd make the team. Maybe he got IR'ed and I'm reading it wrong?

:Raiders:

Lot to digest here on guys who likely didn't have shots. Florida State OL Kareem Are wasn't gonna make it onto a team with such a deep OL. Guys like Pharaoh Brown and Fadol Brown aren't surprising, but Elijah Hood is. I know a lot of people preferred to take DeAndre Washington as the last RB onto the roster, but there's no way in hell Hood doesn't make PS or get signed by another team. Bowling ball of a back. WR Ishmael Zamora is another intriguing one, because he has size but off-field is ATROCIOUS and he never showed good hands or routes.

:Cowboys:

TE Blake Jarwin wasn't bad in preseason, but he loves to bobble the ball and is mostly a receiver. Not surprised there. Thought Joey Ivie would make the team due to ability to accelerate up the middle. He was pretty polished in college, and I think he snatches on somewhere else. DE Lewis Neal and OT Dan Skipper aren't that surprising to me as they both lacked the athleticism to do much at the next level, but I know Neal had some fans after good preseason showings. CB Marquez White was taken in R6 but didn't make it due to CB depth. Surprising, because he should've been a depth guy at worst. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets snagged on waivers before hitting the PS.

:Giants:

OT Adam Bisnowaty has the size and length to excite, and his hands aren't that bad, but he is just too slow to adjust on run plays and can get beat too easily at times by chasing. He should be PS. Jarron Jones got cut which physically pains me. I'm convinced he should've stayed at NT where he was best, but so be it. He'll grab on somewhere, whether it be as an OT or a NT.

:Eagles:

OT Victor Salako being waived doesn't surprise me, but C Tyler Orlosky does. Dude was seen as late day 2 or early day 3 guy. Maybe Eagles wanna sneak him through waivers but that's shocking. Nate Gerry is another surprising cut. Whether you want to play him at S or LB, he just didn't have the cover skills to be anything but a thumper. He should be picked up by another team in waivers.

:Redskins:

WR Robert Davis got a lot of hype for being a H/W/S guy but I'm not too shocked. His hands and routes were never all the way there. OL Kyle Kalis not making it is interesting. I guess I've put way too much value into pass blocking attributes rather than run blocking attributes (can't wait to move on to next year for OL evals). WR James Quick not making it surprises me. Quick is a smooth route-runner with solid hands. He's not great at any one thing but he could be a good depth WR.

:Bears:

FB Freddie Stevenson is really the only big rookie cut for the Bears. He was a UDFA but he could've been a low end starter. The depth of the back committee in Chicago is probably a big part of why he was left out.

:Lions:

QB Brad Kaaya stands out immediately here as a surprise cut. He was so bad under pressure that it makes sense, but he still had a lot of tools to work with and it's surprising to see him not make the 53 as QB3. OT Storm Norton had length to be desired and could've made it as a depth lineman, but I don't blame the Lions for letting him walk.

:Packers:

OG Kofi Amichia is surprising given how weak they are at the position. He could be a PS guy though. Same with Robert Leff and Adam Pankey. DeAngelo Yancey isn't surprising because his hands are so inconsistent and he just doesn't have the overall athletic qualities or consistency to make it in the NFL. Malachi Dupre had better hands but he just can't separate. Treadwell syndrome. QB Taysom Hill is a SHOCK. He balled the hell out in preseason and I know a lot of Packers fans are pissed. He's already turned the corner for his 20s and isn't getting any younger with all the injuries he has. Get him on the 53!

:Vikings:

DT Jarrod Clements doesn't make sense to me due to the injury of Floyd. He's explosive and has good hand fighting. Should make the PS or get snatched in waivers. No other huge shockers further down the line. A lot of guys you'd expect to be cut like Freddie Tagaloa and Jack Tocho.

:Falcons:

OT Andreas Knappe and QB Alek Torgersen waived. Wonder if either make it onto a practice squad. Knappe isn't an athletic guy, but he has some damn good length and pass pro if he gets everything else together. Torgersen I didn't like much but a lot of people liked his arm talent. He might be a practice squad guy too but I dunno.

:panthers:

LB Ben Boulware is a big name but I'm not shocked that he got cut. He can't cover to save his life, and just lives as a thumper in the middle. DE Bryan Cox wasn't gonna make it on such a loaded DL.

:Saints:

WR Travin Dural was fighting for scraps here as a WR5 or WR6, but with Willie Snead missing a few games for abuse policy I'm surprised he didn't make it. He was a better version of Malachi Dupre, and still couldn't make the cut. OL Cameron Tom surprises me a little because of the lateral agility as a pass blocker, but he might make the PS. Saints OL is pretty damn deep from what I remember.

:Bucs:

LBs Richie Brown and Riley Bullough aren't surprising cuts. Both are just downhill thumpers who can't hold their own in space. Neither was THAT impressive of a tackler either, and stronger backs could pinball off of them. QB Sefo Liufau isn't that much of a surprise. He sucked all through the draft process and didn't do anything for himself in the preseason. RB Jeremy McNichols is a HUGE cut. The depth of the TB group kind of forced this, but I've heard a lot of people don't think he puts in the time. A lot of questions about his love for the game. I think he gets picked up by another team instead of being relegated to the practice squad.

:Cardinals:

OG Dorian Johnson is a huge cut. He was great in college but fell during the draft and just hasn't performed close to expectations. He had medicals that a lot of teams were worried about, but it's disappointing he can't even make the 53. TE Ricky Seals-Jones is interesting. He has size but his hands are atrocious and he wouldn't have been much of a blocker. He might get the PS treatment due to his size, but it's no guarantee.

:Rams:

WR K.D. Cannon being unable to make it onto the Rams WR corps hurts me. Same with C Parker Collins being unable to stick on our mediocre line. Would've liked to see OG Alex Kozan and FB Sam Rogers stick, especially after we spent a pick on Rogers.

:49ers:

WR Tim Patrick is a bit of a surprise to me. They don't have much good depth and he has height and hands. I know a lot of people were high on TE Cole Hikutini as an H-back combo, but I wasn't a big fan of his hands or run blocking. Surprised he didn't make 53 with trade of McDonald, though.

:Seahawks:

DB Mike Tyson not making team doesn't surprise me due to depth, but he should definitely make the practice squad. Darreus Rogers got a lot of love in draft community but I think it's telling he couldn't make it onto a WR corps that just let Jermaine Kearse go.

Edited by Chernobyl426

Osweiler is getting cut, not sure it's a shock, but it's news, I'd be surprised if someone doesn't bring him in as a backup

Jags for Osweiler 2017.

Orlosky has been injured most of the off season. They probably will keep him on the practice squad.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty surprised the Titans only kept 5 wrs, and really disappointed McBride got cut

Packers decimated their WR group and kept the worst one ... Lol. Losers.

The Lions are rolling with 5 running backs. Which is crazy to me.

Some of them probably will serve special teams duty, but, damn.

And our backup QB is trash

The Lions are rolling with 5 running backs. Which is crazy to me.

Some of them probably will serve special teams duty, but, damn.

And our backup QB is trash

Does that include a FB ? Packers are keeping 4 backs and a FB which is pretty crazy. No way they are all active each week

TJ Ward cut :laugh:

​He's a Buc now. I'm good with it, I was okay with Tandy and Conte to start the season so even if he doesn't win the job at some point he provides experience and depth for a team hoping to compete for the first time in a while.