Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

First Responders Refuse to Hold Flag for Browns

Slightly misleading, I suppose, because it is the heads of the unions that are saying this and they don't necessarily speak for everyone. But it is an interesting conversation.

Maybe Brock Osweiler can hold the flag...

Unions that represent Cleveland police officers and first responders will not participate in one of the annual rites that precede NFL openers, with leaders saying they were offended when Browns players knelt during the national anthem before a preseason game.

The head of the Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association says that they have decided not to hold part of the gigantic American flag as part of the pregame ceremony at the Browns’ Sept. 10 opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Typically, players, first responders, politicians and military members join in, too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/09/03/cleveland-police-rescue-unions-wont-hold-huge-flag-in-nfl-opener-citing-browns-protest/?utm_term=.3109315a0fe8

Edited by Olenna4Ever

Good, fuck the american flag.

​This, people are at the stadium to watch a football game not worship a piece of cloth.

First responders, particularly firemen and paramedics, now have to worry about gunfire in recent years because of the slippery slope that anti-American protests lead to. These kneeling or sitting protests are protected free speech and there should be absolutely no consequences for players who participate in them, but said players should be able to understand that they're doing more harm than good. I very much respect players like Brandon Marshall (the LB for the Broncos) who are actively participating in conversation with members of law enforcement and are doing things outside of these protests to make a difference. I believe Marshall does these things and now stands for the Anthem. Work outside of football with good people who can make a difference--don't use your platform to inspire violent radicals who are so stupid they can't even tie their own shoes.

Quite frankly, I bet the majority of first responders in the country would turn down holding the flag for the Browns, and for good reason.

Last but not least, everybody knows that Colin Kaepernick wasn't even protesting at his initial sit down--he was being a petulant child because the coaching staff didn't just hand him the starting job. Dude got outplayed by Blaine Gabbert and couldn't handle it. Is he participating in real activism now? Yes. That seems to be his career calling because he's not good enough to be on a roster with all the negative press that comes with him.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Downvote 3

It's just goofy on the part of the unions to not do it. A couple of Browns players kneel during the national anthem and you can't hold the flag because you're offended? Someone else's actions shouldn't inhibit your ability to show respect to your country and hold its flag. If it does you're an overly sensitive pussy who wants a pat on the back for being a patriot.

• Upvote 1

I think it is funny. People protest, now their protest will be protested. I can tell you who loses though, the players. Once the billionaires start having you cost dollars, this will end or their will be repercussions. None of these players sense of nobility goes beyond the surface so once they start losing money they will all be like," Kneel for the national anthem, nah bruh, I support the police."

The fact anyone gives a fuck about this still in 2017 is beyond me...

• Upvote 2

The fact anyone gives a fuck about this still in 2017 is beyond me...

Pretty much. It is hilarious though. This will never change anything, but it is their right so it is what it is.

Sports survived letting black people play. The owners aren't losing money ngata. Also, what the hell is BWare talking about. First responders don't have to worry about gun fire because of protesting. That's one of the absolute dumbest Fabrications I have heard in my entire time on TGP. Lol

Sports survived letting black people play. The owners aren't losing money ngata. Also, what the hell is BWare talking about. First responders don't have to worry about gun fire because of protesting. That's one of the absolute dumbest Fabrications I have heard in my entire time on TGP. Lol

I am aware they survived but have you not noticed every time kaepernick gets close to signing somewhere teh fan base revolts and the owner balks ? It is not them losing money, it is the prospect of losing money that they wont tolerate.

• Upvote 1

It's just a vocal minority lol. The Eagles signed Vick and a lot of people said they would never watch or go to another game. 98% of those people are all talk and honestly the amount of people who would buy a Jersey or support the team BECAUSE of Kaep would mitigate that.

It's just a vocal minority lol. The Eagles signed Vick and a lot of people said they would never watch or go to another game. 98% of those people are all talk and honestly the amount of people who would buy a Jersey or support the team BECAUSE of Kaep would mitigate that.

You're guessing at the numbers because steve bisciotti was down until he talke to the PSL's and realized they WOULD NOT be renewing and were ready to cancel then and there. Then he balked at it.

What the hell is a PSL? Season ticket holder? Guarantee those people are all talk and I'm sure they could just sell the tickets to someone else. If the Ravens got to the playoffs this year you'd hear nothing but crickets from those clowns.

Personal Seat License I believe.

What the hell is a PSL? Season ticket holder? Guarantee those people are all talk and I'm sure they could just sell the tickets to someone else. If the Ravens got to the playoffs this year you'd hear nothing but crickets from those clowns.

Very possible, but as a business owner it is tough to take that chance when the alternative of not signing him is no consequences.

Whiny minorities are given into way too much lol. What a bunch of snow flakes. If it's me calling the shots from a business perspective I sign the guy just based off the fact that you get way more national exposure. Your team is on TV all the time. More eyes=more money. Nevermind the fact you're getting an elite back up for 50cents on the dollar...maybe better.

Elite backup? The guy that Blaine Gabbert beat out? I mean, let's get real here. If he had a modicum of football talent to give to a team, I think they could overlook some of the downside. Fact is, he really doesn't. The negative publicity far far far outweighs whatever it is he brings to the field.

Pretty sure Dallas is the most valuable NFL franchise and they've been getting negative press for years. I never said you want the guy starting for your team but yeah I'd definitely say he's an elite back up. He lost the job to Gabbert, yes but that seems like a poor coaching decision because he definitely out preformed Gabbert last year. The guy is also a great athlete that has won a lot of games as a starter. How many back ups can match his resume or his skill set. If you don't think he's an it back up QB you're a hater and you're just blind to the facts. If you can name 5 back up QB's better than Kaep and actually back it up I will concede to your point.

Pretty sure Dallas is the most valuable NFL franchise and they've been getting negative press for years. I never said you want the guy starting for your team but yeah I'd definitely say he's an elite back up. He lost the job to Gabbert, yes but that seems like a poor coaching decision because he definitely out preformed Gabbert last year. The guy is also a great athlete that has won a lot of games as a starter. How many back ups can match his resume or his skill set. If you don't think he's an it back up QB you're a hater and you're just blind to the facts. If you can name 5 back up QB's better than Kaep and actually back it up I will concede to your point.

Sure teams could handle the bad pub... but at what cost and is it worth it?

Even if I agreed with your evaluation of him, which I do not, is a backup QB worth that bad press. How does he help your team? The story and spotlight of your team automatically goes to your back up QB and not even for football reasons but because of his.. "activism".

It just isn't worth it. Your team almost doesn't benefit at all... In the end, the net effect, is probably negative.

It speaks to Ngata's point to a degree... If you are going to have fan protests, or season ticket holders back out... Yeah, they could sell the tickets, ya they can ignore the protests... But Is it worth putting up with that crap...? and is it worth putting up with that crap for a VERY minimal at best gain for your football team?

Answer should be no.

If you can name 5 back up QB's better than Kaep and actually back it up I will concede to your point.

I would take Jimmy G, whoever the backup is between Bradford and Bridgewater, Case Keenum, Fitzmagic, and Files. Foles and Keenum cpuld be argued but Foles had a 27 vs 2 season the year before he went to the Rams under Fisher who is god awful. Keenum has put together some good starts as well. At least equal to Kaeps last sample size

Elite backup? The guy that Blaine Gabbert beat out? I mean, let's get real here. If he had a modicum of football talent to give to a team, I think they could overlook some of the downside. Fact is, he really doesn't. The negative publicity far far far outweighs whatever it is he brings to the field.

Gabbert only started because Kaep had an injury guarentee in his contract. They made him waive it before they'd let him play.

Teddy Bridgewater might never play football again lol. You go ahead and take him. Give me Kaepernick. Anyway... that's 2 that you MIGHT take over Kaep? Pls

Edited by seanbrock

Kaep is better than literally every backup QB in the league and also a decent number of starters.