Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Week 1 Reaction

Post Your Reactions to week 1

My team:

Holy shit this Vikings defense has the potential to be good, especially against QBs that are more prone to interceptions. I love the combination of Rhodes and Waynes and expect Waynes to only get better with starter snaps. Newman, Alexander, and Brock at CBs 3, 4, and 5? Goddammit, do we have depth. Also, we have an awesome pairing at DE in Griffin and Hunter. And I haven't even talked about Kendricks and Barr, yet. Anthony Barr sealed the game with a huge stop on 3rd and 2 in the second half.

Bradford is awesome with decent protection and real weapons. Stefon Diggs is a stud and Adam Theilen might be even better on an every down basis. Diggs is more likely to make a crazy play, but Theilen is open 24/7. 4.45 speed and good size, great routes, and a midwestern work ethic? Fuck yeah. This team also gets Michael Floyd back in week 5, and I fully expect Laquon Treadwell to get more targets as the season goes along. Kyle Rudolph and Bradford have great chemistry, and the passing game with Cook and McKinnon at RB is only going to get batter. I was very happy to see McKinnon get snaps over Murray. I think Murray deserves carries here and there but McKinnon is a better player as far as versatility is concerned.

Other Teams/Players:

Obviously the North Dakotan has to talk about Carson Wentz. I'm still leery about his decision making from time to time but in today's quarterback-driven NFL, we often forget that even the established elite QBs throw interceptions and make mistakes. We need to expect Carson to make fewer mistakes down the road, but we should be wary of overreacting to the mistakes he's making now. He's the best QB from his class and will show as much this season with real WRs. I only worry about Pederson's playcalling when it comes to the Eagles offense. Pederson tends to overthink and makes terrible play calls at the worst of times.

That Cowboys defense played much better than expected by the national media. I didn't know that they'd have that good of an initial performance but I'm not surprised that the secondary played extremely well.

Anybody else? You don't have to write books like I do.

Leonard Fournette is the OROTY.

:Raiders:

Man. Our offense with Todd Downing over Musgrave is going to be something special. Love the fact that Downing is letting Carr take full control of the offense.

There's so many different personnel sets we can use. We can go 5 wide with Crabs, Amari, Roberts, Patterson and Cook with Richard or Washington in the backfield when it's 3rd and long and wreak havoc...

We could do the same 5 wide and put Lynch in the backfield and make teams double think if we really are going to pass...

Then we can run the I formation with 6 lineman and Lee Smith (best blocking TE in NFL) with Olawalee at FB and Lynch in the backfield and still have Crabtree and Cooper on the outside.

The possibilities are absolutely endless and I love the fact we can choose to ram it down someone's throat, or air it out.

The defense... The defense started out shaky but you know what, they actually played respectable when the second half started. For the Titans not to run 300+ yards on us was shocking.

A lot of work to do, but if our defense can limit teams to 17 points or less each game, I'm more than ok with that.

Also. The Italian Mobster in GT was fun to watch, I hope this kid keeps it up. He could be the future at kicker for us if he keeps up what he did Sunday.

As for the rest of the NFL...

It was good to see games not end 45-40. It's a combination of rust/week 1/ and decent defense but the NFL doesn't need to be go go go all the time.

Defense wins championships.

Edited by ATL

Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram are really fucking good. The chargers are still unlucky. Garrett Bolles looks competent, but not spectacular.

• Upvote 1

Hmmm...12 player sets, how do the Raiders get away with that? 5 wide with a RB in the backfield would be pretty deadly though.

As for the Packers:

The defense came to play and took full advantage of Seahawks' piss poor o-line. Daniels and Perry made a living in the Seahawks' backfield. The nitro package is here to stay, played in that package for the majority of the game, having 3 safeties on the field at all times is pretty interesting. Other than a few big plays allowed before half and when Randall tried playing through cramps, the secondary help ud pretty well. Didn't get to see much of King or Jones though.

The offense struggled and just looked out of sync at times. They started their first drive pretty well with just taking advantage of open spots in Seattle's defense until that pick. The remainder of the drives in the 1st half went a lot more traditional and had long developing routes forcing Rodgers to hold onto the ball and be sacked too many times. Once we went back into that hurry up west coast offense, we marched the ball fairly easily and Rodgers once again took advantage of a team trying to substitute. Ty didn't rack up an impressive amount of yards or anything but he proved he could be the bell cow and showed some tough running through the tackles. Want to see more passes going his way though as he is dangerous in open field. Props to Marty B for throwing Wright into the turf.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Biggest theme I saw around the league was offensive line play, and not in a good way. The Giants and Seahawks are the two biggest examples. I'm wondering if defenses have gotten so fast now that a bad O-line is a weakness that's impossible to compensate for. In other words, should teams prioritize OL the same as QB when building a roster?

• Upvote 1

Teams that don't emphasize or care about offensive lines are flat out stupid and won't win. Ask Andy Dalton.

The game is won in the trenches, always has been and always will be.

• Upvote 1

Biggest theme I saw around the league was offensive line play, and not in a good way. The Giants and Seahawks are the two biggest examples. I'm wondering if defenses have gotten so fast now that a bad O-line is a weakness that's impossible to compensate for. In other words, should teams prioritize OL the same as QB when building a roster?

After watching Rivers struggle behind terrible o-lines, I am a big believer in building a stacked offensive line. It makes everyone's job easier. Same goes for the defensive side of things. If you have a good, disruptive defensive line, the secondary and linebackers have more opportunities to make plays.

• Upvote 1

Look at some of your top contending teams in the league...

Raiders, Chiefs, Titans, Cowboys and Falcons.

All 5 of those teams have offensive lines that play well together and do a great job of keeping their QB off the ground, and equally as creating lanes in the run game.

The Bucs didn't play so it was kind of a boring weekend, even with a hurricane passing over. I don't like to take away too much from Week 1 but holy hell are the Colts a shit show. I know a lot of people like to hate on Andrew Luck, but that man is the only thing going for that team and they should honestly consider not playing him at all this year if he's not healthy, he's just going to get even more beat up and lose a bunch of games. Maybe they can suck bad enough to draft someone decent to pair with Luck in 2018 but probably not. The Colts might low key be the worst drafting team in the league, looking at all their past first round picks they ALL are busts except for Luck. The last player they took in the 1st that isn't a bust was freakin' Dallas Clark in 2003.

Edited by Milla4Prez63
  • Upvote 1

I think the Steelers-Browns featured what will end up being 2 of the best rookies to come out of this draft. Kizer looked better than his stats say. He was under pressure the entire game but stood in and made some truly great throws. He looks good moving around in the pocket and going through his reads. That INT he threw was terrible, but, it was week 1. I think the Browns might finally have their guy.

On the other side of the ball was TJ Watt. 2 sacks and an INT in game 1 of your career... hard to get any better than that as an OLB. He looked good in run support also. He was all over the field in every way possible. I am really pumped to see his career unfold.

• Upvote 1

From the 4 games I watched

Eagles/Skins: There was a stark contrast in the play of the QB's. Wentz looked pretty good. Inconsistent, you can tell he needs to work on his mechanics still because there were plays where he fell back onto bad habits but the guy really hasn't been a QB that long. He missed a lot of games in college and rode the pine a couple years after playing QB in HS for 1 year. He also has only started 16 NFL games so it's not going to happen overnight but I have confidence he will get better at that as his career and season progress. He's just too talented, he works too hard and he's too smart not to.

Cousins looked bad but he has a lot of new receivers and the Eagles defensive line was harassing him all day. Jim Schwartz also picked all the right spots to blitz. I think the Skins are still a pretty good team despite the loss at home to open the season.

Seahawks/Packers: Took Rodgers a half to figure out the Seattle defense but Rodgers is gon Rodgers. If you don't put points up on the board you don't have a very good chance at beating him, ESPECIALLY at home. Say what you will about penalties but the Seahawks just couldn't get it done. Their offensive line is a total shit show. They were tied for second in the league with the Jets last year in games without an offensive TD. Mike Daniels fucking dominated their offensive line and Nick Perry looked pretty good as well. If Green Bay's defense can play well this year they're probably going back to the Super Bowl and they could very well win.

Chiefs/Pats: The Patriots really missed guys like Collins and Jones when Hightower went down. I think they have a really good secondary but you're going to have issues when the opposing QB is sitting in the pocket for 5-6 seconds. As far as Brady goes... he's fine. I don't think you can anticipate losing Edleman and Amendola against a defense the caliber of Kansas City.

The Chiefs on the other hand, man they really hit on Hunt. He looked dynamic out there and he ran really hard. Between him, Kelce and Hill on offense they can create a lot of mismatches. Andy Reid is pretty good with a RB that has the receiving chops of Hunt. They're going to be a really good team this year. The AFCW is going to be a fucking dog fight again this year.

Giants/Dalls: The Cowboys running game is as good as ever. Not even Snacks could stop Elliot and that offensive line. Dak made plays where he could and took care of the football against what I consider a top 5 offense. The 19 points on the board are deceiving. These guys are as good as ever on offense. Defensively it was hard to get a read on them. The Giants are fucking AWFUL offensively. Their offensive line is just fucking horrendous. The Cowboys weren't getting pressure on anyone last year but Eli and that offensive line made them look like the '00 Ravens.The Giants will be lucky to win 6 games this year. Eli is getting older and he's on the downside. If he had any protection I think he'd be good enough to at least not cost them too many games but all those WR's are going to do them no good at this rate.

If you ask me what the theme of week 1 was I would have to say the teams that won up front looked like the best teams. And people say football is a totally different game than it was 20 years ago lol

Edited by seanbrock

Not really concerned about the Pats. Lots of new pieces on the team and will prob take 5-7 weeks for the team to start really gelling. People are quick to forget that three years ago the Pats looked like shit in week 1 in a 33-20 loss to Miami. And an inexperienced, mediocre Oakland team was on the verge of tying the game with under a minute left until Wilfork picked off a tipped pass inside the 10 in week 3, and they got the absolute shit beat out of them from start to finish the following week against KC. Ya'll don't remember that, though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg

Not really concerned about the Pats. Lots of new pieces on the team and will prob take 5-7 weeks for the team to start really gelling. People are quick to forget that three years ago the Pats looked like shit in week 1 in a 33-20 loss to Miami. And an inexperienced, mediocre Oakland team was on the verge of tying the game with under a minute left until Wilfork picked off a tipped pass inside the 10 in week 3, and they got the absolute shit beat out of them from start to finish the following week against KC. Ya'll don't remember that, though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg

I remember you posting that the Pats were done and the season was over at 2-2 after that KC game. Said Brady was washed up and wouldn't win another Super Bowl. Went all emo and it was so amusing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think anyone is saying (in this thread anyway) the Patriots aren't going to make the playoffs. The Patriots have been like 12-4 or 13-3 with bad defenses but those were also the years they took l's in the super bowl. Pats will be contending for HFA in the AFC most likely but I think letting go of some of their young defensive talent will hurt them this year.

I remember you posting that the Pats were done and the season was over at 2-2 after that KC game. Said Brady was washed up and wouldn't win another Super Bowl. Went all emo and it was so amusing.

Lol wtf are you talking about? I posted a thread saying they were done in 2011 after like week 9. I've never seen the Pats have a worse defense than the 2011 team. They however benefitted from an extremely weak AFC that year and they got a fortunate draw in the postseason. That team still sucked dick, regardless.

And I predicted that the Pats would get blown out by KC on MNF.

Good try though, buddy! I love how much PD hates the Pats and Pats fans even though there is zero rivalry between NE and GB. Stop being a bitter cunt.

• Downvote 1

Lol wtf are you talking about? I posted a thread saying they were done in 2011 after like week 9. I've never seen the Pats have a worse defense than the 2011 team. They however benefitted from an extremely weak AFC that year and they got a fortunate draw in the postseason. That team still sucked dick, regardless.

Good try though, buddy! I love how much PD hates the Pats and Pats fans even though there is zero rivalry between NE and GB. Stop being a bitter cunt.

http://thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/79804-oh-phillipe/

Nah you definitely made a thread like that cause everyone made fun of you and how pathetic you were. If only the archives went back that far. I don't have anything against the Pats. I don't think Brady is the GOAT but still respect him and especially Belichick. Now pathetic fans like you that are complete cunts are what I have problems with. There have been multiple other Pats fans on this board that I had no problem with. Then there are idiots like you.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010
  • Downvote 1

Nah you definitely made a thread like that cause everyone made fun of you and how pathetic you were. If only the archives went back that far. I don't have anything against the Pats. I don't think Brady is the GOAT but still respect him and especially Belichick. Now pathetic fans like you that are complete cunts are what I have problems with. There have been multiple other Pats fans on this board that I had no problem with. Then there are idiots like you.

No... once again you're thinking of 2011. I predicted and expected the Pats to get blown out at Arrowhead for that game, so why would I make an "emo thread" afterwards?

And you definitely have stuck out as one of the biggest Pats haters on this board. You saying that you have "nothing against the Pats" is the biggest load of bullshit I've heard. But okay.

And there's almost never any Pats fans on TGP. There's Bradyfan but he rarely posts and there's been like 2-3 Pats fans in the past 5 years that made like 10 posts and then bounced. I don't even really post that much anymore, especially since I've been pretty busy with work and my interest in sports has gone way down.

And I've had almost zero interaction with you over the years. You getting rattled over my posts is your problem, not mine since you're basically irrelevant to me. And I don't even really give a shit to troll anymore...

No... once again you're thinking of 2011. I predicted and expected the Pats to get blown out at Arrowhead for that game, so why would I make an "emo thread" afterwards?

And you definitely have stuck out as one of the biggest Pats haters on this board. You saying that you have "nothing against the Pats" is the biggest load of bullshit I've heard. But okay.

And there's almost never any Pats fans on TGP. There's Bradyfan but he rarely posts and there's been like 2-3 Pats fans in the past 5 years that made like 10 posts and then bounced. I don't even really post that much anymore, especially since I've been pretty busy with work and my interest in sports has gone way down.

And I've had almost zero interaction with you over the years. You getting rattled over my posts is your problem, not mine since you're basically irrelevant to me. And I don't even really give a shit to troll anymore...

Where am I getting rattled over your posts? Making up some bullshit everywhere you go. Bradyfan and funnygunny are both Pats fans that used to be fairly active and I never had problems with either. You are the only Pats fan that I have a problem with it, but that's because you are a fucking idiot, almost as bad as FSU.

Where am I getting rattled over your posts? Making up some bullshit everywhere you go. Bradyfan and funnygunny are both Pats fans that used to be fairly active and I never had problems with either. You are the only Pats fan that I have a problem with it, but that's because you are a fucking idiot, almost as bad as FSU.

I'm making up bullshit? You just spewed several points of bullshit in your previous post, you fucking hypocritical clown.

If you weren't getting rattled over my posts then you wouldn't have a problem with me. Like I've mentioned before, I've never given a shit about you nor have I gone out of my way to troll or antagonize you. And I'm not sure if you noticed, but there's a handful of "fucking idiots" on this board. So there goes that "I have a problem with you because you're such an idiot!!!" logic.

Maybe you should go blow off some steam picking corn, you midwestern dipshit.

• Downvote 1

I'm making up bullshit? You just spewed several points of bullshit in your previous post, you fucking hypocritical clown.

If you weren't getting rattled over my posts then you wouldn't have a problem with me. Like I've mentioned before, I've never given a shit about you nor have I gone out of my way to troll or antagonize you. And I'm not sure if you noticed, but there's a handful of "fucking idiots" on this board. So there goes that "I have a problem with you because you're such an idiot!!!" logic.

Maybe you should go blow off some steam picking corn, you midwestern dipshit.

You really shouldn't jump to conclusions. Not a midwestern and nowhere near any corn.