Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Saints @ Panthers

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20170924029&home=29&vis=18

(TSX / STATS) -- CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers made the most of their limited offense through two games.

They might need more to defeat a New Orleans Saints team that often has good production against the Panthers.

The teams will meet Sunday afternoon at Bank of America Stadium in the first NFC South matchup for each this season.

The game is more critical for the Saints (0-2), who stumbled against the Minnesota Vikings and the New England Patriots.

"These guys are grown men, and they understand the sense of urgency we have to play with and we have to practice with now starting with two losses," New Orleans coach Sean Payton said.

The Panthers (2-0) haven't allowed a touchdown through two games, but they are waiting for their offense to click with more regularity. A 9-3 victory over the Buffalo Bills last Sunday was the result of three field goals.

"We've still given ourselves an opportunity," Carolina coach Ron Rivera said. "It's tough to win in the league when all you do is kick field goals."

The Panthers will try to pick up the production without All-Pro tight end Greg Olsen, who will be out for at least a couple of months after surgery for a broken right foot he sustained last weekend. That likely moves Ed Dickson into the role as the primary tight end.

Quarterback Cam Newton said Dickson won't hurt the offense. Instead, Newton is calling on himself to be more efficient after two games in which he misfired toward some open receivers.

"I just have to personally challenge myself that I have to be better and I will be better," Newton said.

The Panthers, though, are working through some snags with two victories to their credit. That makes it easier.

"I think with our veteran leadership, that is key," Newton said. "Offensively, guys believing in the plan and trusting in this whole process. We know everything is (not going) to be a walk in the park."

Dickson has been Olsen's backup, making him well known to Saints linebacker A.J. Klein, who is in his first season after playing as a backup with the Panthers.

"I think Ed is overlooked when it comes to tight ends," Klein said. "Ed is a big, strong guy and has better speed than most people think."

Newton has been quick to endorse Dickson as well.

"He's a diamond in the rough," Newton said. "I don't want to put too much on Ed, but he has been making plays for us -- very subtle over the years. That's why he has been somewhat of our unsung hero."

The Saints could use a hero of any sorts after a ragged beginning to the season.

"(Carolina) is a team that's playing with a lot of confidence," Saints quarterback Drew Brees said, "but we're just waiting to break the seal. I feel like it can be this week. I hope it's this week."

Klein, who played behind Luke Kuechly with Carolina, said the Saints are capable of doing better. He said he can't be distracted by the return to the stadium he previously called home.

If nothing else, it's time for the Saints to make sure the Panthers' offense doesn't unload.

"Going to Carolina, we have challenge ahead of us," Klein said. "I can't sit here and sugarcoat stuff. We're just a step behind. All the pieces are there. Early adversity, it's what you do with it."

The Saints also have former Carolina receiver Ted Ginn Jr. on their roster.

Carolina had never gone through the first two games of a season without allowing a touchdown, but keeping Brees in check won't likely be as easy as it was subduing offenses from San Francisco and Buffalo.

Payton said part of the solution for New Orleans might be not relying so much on Brees by producing more on the ground.

"It has been an emphasis of ours," Payton said. "There were yards left out there."

The Panthers will be without center Ryan Kalil for a second week in a row. He was a game-day scratch from the starting lineup last week, and his practice activity was limited since then because of a sore neck. He was already coming off offseason shoulder surgery.

Carolina wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin missed midweek practice with a knee injury, but there were no further indications that he would be held out of the game.

Time to see if Cam is past his prime or not.

:panthers: 38

:Saints: 20

If Carolina's offense can't put up at least 20+ on the Saints D, it is time to worry.

:panthers: 27

:Saints: 13

What the hell are the panthers doingo n offense. Even got Christian involved a lot (with success) but didn't really have much to show for it at the end of the day.

Oh boy. You had to ask.

First off, Cam Newton is playing like complete ass. Let me get that out of the way first so you don't think I'm absolving him of blame here.

Secondly, we do have some serious injuries. Greg Olsen with a broken foot, Ryan Kalil has been out for two games, and today we lost Benjamin on the second drive and Trai Turner in the middle of the 2nd quarter.

Thirdly, Matt Kalil is also complete ass and has no idea how to block a wet paper bag, much less a defensive lineman.

However, all of these problems pale in comparison to one man. Mike Shula is the worst offensive coordinator in the NFL today. He has zero imagination, zero ability to not be predictable, and there are zero reasons he has a job in the NFL except for his last name.

I am not joking: I could be a better OC than Shula could. You could be a better OC than Shula. My dog could be a better OC than Mike Shula. I don't even have a dog, but an imaginary creature is still a better OC than Mike Shula.

Down Benjamin and Olsen, Mike Shula first decides he's going to lean on the run-game. He does by having us pound the rock up the middle and run it on sweeps.

Now, if you were a person who knows anything about football, whom do you think is pounding the middle and whom do you think is running the sweeps? If you thought J-Stew would be going up the middle and McCaffrey as a speedster would be going to the outside, that would be common sense. So of course, Mike Shula is going to do the exact opposite.

When the run-game thus predictably fails, Mike Shula decides well, we have to pass it. Since Devin Funchess was our WR2 and now is WR1 with Benji out, the entire Saints defense is focusing on Funchess. The sole playcall in the entire game that I thought was great- the reverse to Curtis Samuel that gained 37 yards- turns out it was audibled into by Cam. Figures.

Shula just calling plays to try to get Funchess open and he really can't handle it. To be fair, again, we had little left on offense at all, but a better OC could have schemed ways to get things going. Shula just seemed to give up.

A quote I read last week on the Panthers board sums it all up to me.

"Rivera and Shula enter the game with a gameplan. It either works, or it doesn't."

We don't adjust, we don't try to make up for shortcomings if someone is playing bad that day, we don't have any creativity. How many times have the Panthers nearly or actually allowed a team to come roaring back in the second half? It's because they adjust and we don't.

Our defense is fantastic, today notwithstanding, but you can't ask them to stop Brees over and over again when the offense is going 3 and out and turning the ball over and giving him short fields.

We put up 13 points against the worst defense in the NFL. This season is done unless Mike Shula goes, and honestly I'd rather go 2-14 and clean house than go 8-8 and let Shula hang around another year.

And if Rivera doesn't have the balls to fire him, he should go as well.

Edited by Thanatos

The cold hard truth is that only Bill Belichick transcends time. After so long, you're too predictable, too stale, too unwilling to change. Aside from a fluke Super Bowl appearance, Ron Rivera has been worn out for 3-5 years. He should have been gone years ago, much like Payton

• Upvote 1

A quote I read last week on the Panthers board sums it all up to me.

"Rivera and Shula enter the game with a gameplan. It either works, or it doesn't."

Sounds like Andy Reid! I feel your pain, sir.

• Upvote 1