Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Week 3 Reaction

Xavier Rhodes is the best CB in football. Against Rhodes, Michael Thomas, Antonio Brown, and Mike Evans have been held under 100 yards combined, and as a whole, none of these receivers have reached 70 yards against the Vikings defense. Rhodes had shadowed all 3 for the majority of each game.

Let's call week 3 the week the league turned upside down. So many upsets. The NFL is only beaten in parity by the NHL.

Officiating is still affecting game quality--too many penalties being called. Let these guys play, for fuck's sake.

I love that defense is more prevalent in the NFL.

The Redskins looked fucking awesome.

• Upvote 2

Fuck a ref, and fuck a rulebook.

Karma, been exactly five years since the Fail Mary. Tate finally gets screwed back. Although the refs tried giving that game to the Lions, a weak holding call to negate the interception. 11 plays in the redzone and they couldn't get it done.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The Lions got royally jipped.

The Steelers really aren't that good.

Jags are on the upswing... finally for real this time.

The NFC as a whole really isn't very good at all.

Marvin Lewis' seat has to be scorching hot right now. But lolBengals gonna lolBengals.

Seattle really just isn't anywhere near as good as they used to be.

Bell looks like ass.

Ben is missing throws he used to hit almost every time.

I have other hot takes in mind, but these will do for now.

Kareem Hunt is the best RB in football and will be a top 5 all-purpose back for at least the next 3 years.

• Upvote 2

Kareem Hunt is the best RB in football and will be a top 5 all-purpose back for at least the next 3 years.

Just because he's killing it in your PPR league doesn't mean he's a great all purpose back, BC. Calm down bud. He's a special between the tackles type runner who has had some very favorable openings to make big plays on. He's not going to routinely bust 60-80 yard TDs.

• Upvote 1

While KC continues to suck when it counts.

Aside from fantasy points,no one cares

Stop being that guy. Enjoy the games and let the season unfold.

Bell looks like ass.

Ben is missing throws he used to hit almost every time.

I have other hot takes in mind, but these will do for now.

Yeah, I have watched the Steelers the past two weeks. Have to agree with both. Ben still has the arm strength but to steal a baseball term his "control" is not there. Bell....just hoping he is out of game shape.

• Upvote 1

I don't have a reaction.

I have no idea what this team is.

That guy? You mean someone intelligent, who can think for themselves.

I just told you exactly what will happen because that's what will happen. That's how I enjoy myself.By being right.

I stand out.you run with the sheep.

No one actually knows what freedom of speech and thought actually is. I'm actually doing it.

Saying KC will fall apart later isn't standing out. Everyone knows who their coach is.

You're going to have to find a different example to try to make yourself look superior.

Fuck a ref, and fuck a rulebook.

Just because he's killing it in your PPR league doesn't mean he's a great all purpose back, BC. Calm down bud. He's a special between the tackles type runner who has had some very favorable openings to make big plays on. He's not going to routinely bust 60-80 yard TDs.

That's how most big runs get broken off though. You have to give Hunt for turning those holes into TD's because not just any RB can do that. I also think Hunt is a better outside runner than you give him credit for. He has the speed to get to the outside, he times his cuts upfield really well and DB's have a really hard time tackling him.

Most RB's also don't have WR route running skills or WR hands or they would be WR's. He's a good receiving RB because he's in a great offense for that kind of thing and he can make teams pay in space on a mismatch. I think the best receiving backs are usually just guys with high football IQ's which I think Hunt has.

That's how most big runs get broken off though. You have to give Hunt for turning those holes into TD's because not just any RB can do that. I also think Hunt is a better outside runner than you give him credit for. He has the speed to get to the outside, he times his cuts upfield really well and DB's have a really hard time tackling him.

Most RB's also don't have WR route running skills or WR hands or they would be WR's. He's a good receiving RB because he's in a great offense for that kind of thing and he can make teams pay in space on a mismatch. I think the best receiving backs are usually just guys with high football IQ's which I think Hunt has.

Hunt doesn't have gamebreaker speed, though, and he isn't going to outrun a lot of defensive backs. Prep yourself for GIF spam. I'm gonna address some big plays he has had so far, and show you why I disagree with him being a good outside runner or receiving back.

https://j.gifs.com/nZnEZW.gif

Blows past Cassius Marsh, a DE who was dropped into coverage. Safety blew his assignment and allowed huge opening. #55 is Jonathan Freeny who nearly catches up to him. Freeny ran a 4.72 at combine, so that gives you an idea of how fast Kareem was going.

https://j.gifs.com/qjwKY0.gif

Don't mistake having the strength and balance to fight through contact as being a good outside runner. A faster running back turns the corner here and doesn't get touched on his way to the endzone, or gets touched by an outstretched hand. Hunt has to push the safety away to get to the pylon. It happened earlier in the game where he did the same thing to a DE. To be an effective outside runner, you need to consistently turn that corner and break past linebackers.

https://j.gifs.com/BglwNN.gif

Watch #53 on this play. Marsh isn't a fast guy, but he nearly comes back across the formation to catch Hunt at the sideline. Pause it as soon as the pulling LT makes his block. Dalvin Cook is gone. LeSean McCoy is gone. Any back who runs a sub 4.5 is likely gone. Hunt gets caught from behind by #32 who came all the way across the field to get him. He's not a home run hitter, even when he was given the perfect opportunity to hit one right here. Watch it back again. #32 didn't even take a good pursuit angle. Watch #32 right before #53 fails to catch Hunt as he turns the corner. He's directly at Hunt, not where Hunt is going to be. This play should've been a 30 yard gain at best, but Pats defense completely shit the bed on it.

https://j.gifs.com/Rg2QlK.gif

This is where Kareem can be perceived as a great all-purpose back, but be careful with how highly you view him. He has the same special qualities running after the catch on the outside as he does running up the middle. He's impossible to bring down, and putting the ball in his hands outside will result in a lot of one on ones that he can win easily. He's going to be getting great YAC for where he catches the ball, and how many defenders he has to push down. But when we talk about all-purpose backs we have to think of elite route runners who can gain separation out of the backfield. Hunt earns the respect of defenders by being able to pick up yardage once he gets the ball, but if you shadow him with a linebacker or safety, he's not going to be getting those easy receptions. Think Christian McCaffrey when you think of a guy who can run routes out of the backfield and create separation on his own, rather than taking advantage of a conservative defense that isn't pressing the LOS.

https://j.gifs.com/2RzY7K.gif

Another big play for Kareem that shows up big on the box score, but was mostly due to a great opening from his offensive line. He gets a truck sized hole to run through on the draw, and has one man to beat. 24 completely poops his pants on the pursuit angle and dives for Hunt's legs. It was a nice subtle cut outside by Hunt, but this is largely on #24 for not preventing the TD. Don't get me wrong, Hunt does have wheels, but he's not a speedster by any means.

https://j.gifs.com/Q1ZP7l.gif

This is where you want him. Up the middle. Dude is so damn strong and balanced. The balance is certainly applicable to one on one matchups outside in the passing game, but Kareem isn't made for breaking to the outside on his runs. He's made for being the unstoppable force that moves the immovable object. Touchdown.

https://j.gifs.com/GZyBY0.gif

Here's the long TD run in week 3. Great vision by Hunt to see the cutback, but the safety overcommits and doesn't see the cutback until it is already too late. Safety also gave up pursuit after he was beat by about 10 yards, so Hunt had very little opposition the rest of the way.

So why is your dick hard over all-purpose, Cherry?

https://j.gifs.com/oYpGAK.gif

This is Christian McCaffrey matched up in the slot against Kenny Vaccaro. McCaffrey wasn't as precise as you might like on the outside break, but he is quick enough and good enough as a route runner to throw Vaccaro off his trail. This is a lot of what I'm talking about when I talk about all-purpose backs. Any back can catch a screen pass out of the backfield or be used as a checkdown in the flat. What do you do when you're being covered, especially against a defensive back.

https://j.gifs.com/LgMK5g.gif

Here is Bears RB Tarik Cohen. Watch #36, Robert McClain. McClain is assigned specifically to watch Cohen. He doesn't budge when the play starts, but when Cohen takes off he starts to move. Cohen is locked one on one with a cornerback who has been in the league for seven years. He fires off his feet and cuts hard outside. This is an even better example than the McCaffrey one, in my opinion, because he is forced to work out of the backfield, and he is much more precise with his change of direction. This is created separation. Hunt often gets easy checkdowns where the corners are playing zone ten yards off the LOS. He isn't asked to beat guys in coverage like this.

https://j.gifs.com/zmVWxr.gif

Here's Cohen again. This time he's uncovered for a checkdown 5 yards behind the LOS. Lavonte David is in a zone 5 yards past the LOS. Kareem Hunt likely turns this play into a gain of 3 or 4 due to his power and balance. I'm not saying Kareem runs over Lavonte David, but it's going to be a dogfight as soon as they make contact. Cohen is a much smaller dude, and Lavonte doesn't get fooled out of the angle he takes to the ball. Met at the LOS and Lavonte wins the matchup. This is where you have to ask yourself what YOU define as all-purpose back. Do you prefer a guy who creates his own separation and can work out of the slot or backfield past the LOS. Do you prefer a guy who gets the checkdown and turns it into a gain of a few yards? That answer is solely up to you. I think of Cohen and McCaffrey as all-purpose backs, but it's highly subjective.

Don't get me wrong. At the end of the day, I think Kareem is one of the best pure runners in a long time. His vision, balance, and strength turn two yards into five nearly every time he touches the ball. It takes a village to bring him down. Hell, I think he could already be pushing towards a spot in the top ten running backs in the league right now. But when you size him up against true receiving backs who can do things in the slot or get separation against cornerbacks, I just don't see the argument of all-purpose back greatness.

I also think we need to recognize splash plays vs consistency plays. Hunt has consistency plays. The fact he's still a meat grinder for defenders to go through late in the game is impressive. But the 60 yard runs aren't what make Kareem Hunt so damn good. It's the 5 yard runs up the gut that should've been a 2 yard loss.

• Upvote 1

Kind of a shitty back to Earth loss for the Bucs. It's not time to go into panic mode, but our lack of depth at corner showed Sunday. Badly. I was not expecting Grimes to not suit up and it hurt us badly and he showed how valuable he is. Hargreaves is okay, but he hasn't shown enough for a player picked as high as he was and he ended up getting injured too. Robert McClain can't cover anyone (I know he had a pick six against Chicago, big whoop), Ryan Smith should never see snaps on defense. It's just ugly, we should've looked at some better veteran depth earlier in the offseason. Our safeties didn't fair too much better, especially Chris Conte who I'm honestly tired of seeing in the starting lineup every week. Even with being signed just weeks ago, T.J. Ward already looks like our best safety and needs more snaps ASAP.

​The offense is still a work in progress. The line struggled, especially the interior and never gave our run game a chance. Jameis and D-Jax don't look totally on the same page despite connecting for their first TD. Jameis' accuracy for the game was actually pretty damn good for the most part, he just made several stupid hero ball throws. His last pick showed a wide open O.J. Howard but he forced it to Evans in triple coverage down the field instead.

Contrary to the Bucs, it is absolutely time to panic in Carolina.

The Panthers are cooked sans Greg Olsen.

Defenses key on Kelvin and he's really not, as I've begun to suspect, a WR1, more of a WR2. Even assuming KB is fine, without Olsen we will struggle to move the ball against anyone- if you can't do it against the worst defense of the last three years running, you can't do it against anyone.

Cam Newton is playing the worst football of his career, by far, and Mike Shula is being dumb as hell and has no idea how to run a good offense, much less whatever we have now.

The defense will rebound but they're going to have to win games by themselves. I kinda hope they don't, we completely crash and burn, and we finally, finally, get rid of Mike Shula.

Edited by Thanatos

Kind of a shitty back to Earth loss for the Bucs. It's not time to go into panic mode, but our lack of depth at corner showed Sunday. Badly. I was not expecting Grimes to not suit up and it hurt us badly and he showed how valuable he is. Hargreaves is okay, but he hasn't shown enough for a player picked as high as he was and he ended up getting injured too. Robert McClain can't cover anyone (I know he had a pick six against Chicago, big whoop), Ryan Smith should never see snaps on defense. It's just ugly, we should've looked at some better veteran depth earlier in the offseason. Our safeties didn't fair too much better, especially Chris Conte who I'm honestly tired of seeing in the starting lineup every week. Even with being signed just weeks ago, T.J. Ward already looks like our best safety and needs more snaps ASAP.

​The offense is still a work in progress. The line struggled, especially the interior and never gave our run game a chance. Jameis and D-Jax don't look totally on the same page despite connecting for their first TD. Jameis' accuracy for the game was actually pretty damn good for the most part, he just made several stupid hero ball throws. His last pick showed a wide open O.J. Howard but he forced it to Evans in triple coverage down the field instead.

Quite honestly, the Bucs were never going to run on Minnesota, even under perfect circumstances. Mike Evans was never going to be Mike Evans because of X. I should have had more faith in my team.

Quite honestly, the Bucs were never going to run on Minnesota, even under perfect circumstances. Mike Evans was never going to be Mike Evans because of X. I should have had more faith in my team.

​None of that matters from my perspective. The offensive line got man handled, and despite the talent Minnesota has on the DL they have to manage better then that if we are going to the playoffs. I honestly thought Evans had a solid performance, he was up against a tough physical corner and still was involved on offense. We clearly knew the matchup favored DeSean Jackson more and he had some success but Jameis and him are still off a bit so far. He missed on a few deep throws last week in the win where Jackson beat his man and overthrew him and in this game he underthrew him when he beat his guy in the end zone and threw a pick instead. We should have the options on offense to play well if Evans is facing a tougher corner, it's just obvious that they need more time to get the newer receivers comfortable with the QB.

​Btw, I'm not trying to disrespect Minnesota or anything with this post I just don't like using the other team's talent as an excuse. With the expectations we have, we should've done better even with all the injuries on defense but that's why it's early in the year and there is time to learn and adjust.

The Eagles are good, and maybe good enough to make the playoffs given the state of the NFC, but they're not ready to compete for a Super Bowl until:

• Wentz improves the deep ball
  • Run game becomes more consistent
  • We get a quality group of WRs
  • Youth in the secondary develops

And this is fine. This is year two of the Pederson/Wentz rebuild, so we're on track.

Edited by SteVo

Karma, been exactly five years since the Fail Mary. Tate finally gets screwed back. Although the refs tried giving that game to the Lions, a weak holding call to negate the interception. 11 plays in the redzone and they couldn't get it done.

Lol @ still pining over a game that happened 5 years ago with bootleg refs. STFU and get over it.

• Downvote 2

Lol @ still pining over a game that happened 5 years ago with bootleg refs. STFU and get over it.

He's salty because it's the only bad call the Packers have ever had go against them and not their opponent. When you're used to getting everything...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Redskins absolutey shook my world, still can't believe they whopped the Raiders like that.

While KC continues to suck when it counts.

Aside from fantasy points,no one cares

I care. lol

you're so right tho, KC has a bad habit of sucking when it counts in Jan.

I hope Kareem fixes that, it could be Reid 'em and weep if Andy will give him enough touches per game.