Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Lions @ Vikings

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20171001016&home=16&vis=8

(TSX / STATS) -- MINNEAPOLIS -- As the Minnesota Vikings waded through the uncertainty at quarterback, Case Keenum gave the team a big lift in last week's win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Keenum matched Sam Bradford's stellar Week 1 performance with a 75.8 completion percentage, 369 passing yards and three touchdowns without a turnover.

Bradford, in winning player of the week, threw for 346 yards and three touchdowns without a turnover in Week 1 with an 84.4 completion percentage.

Statistically, it has been impossible to tell the difference between the two quarterbacks in two home games. Their teammates have only noticed a slight difference.

"I made a joke, I think the only difference is that you can see Sam in the pocket, and you can't see Case very well back there," tight end Kyle Rudolph said jokingly to the team's website. "But no, they both throw great balls.

"They both had incredible success throwing the football, and when we block teams up and let them sit back there with time, we have guys on the outside that are going to get open."

Bradford has missed the past two games with an unspecified knee injury. He was held out Wednesday as Minnesota (2-1) returned to practice in preparation for Sunday's home game against the Detroit Lions (2-1).

"I'm giving him the day off today, but we are doing everything we can to get him ready to play Sunday," Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said. "We are just giving him one more day to rest."

No matter who has been at quarterback, Minnesota's offense hasn't missed a beat and surprisingly sits second in the league in total yards with 400.3 per game.

The Vikings' maligned offensive line -- with former Detroit draft pick Riley Reiff at left tackle -- has given up the fourth-fewest sacks per pass play in the NFL.

Rookie running back Dalvin Cook is second in the league with 288 rushing yards. Receivers Adam Thielen (299 yards) and Stefon Diggs (293 yards) are second and third, respectively, in the league in receiving yardage.

"They are taking shots and throwing the ball down the field and giving those guys opportunities to make plays," Detroit safety Glover Quin told the team's website. "A lot of time in the past they were a bunch of quick throws, short throws, but they are throwing the ball down the field and those guys are making plays, so you have to expect that to continue."

The Lions are known as the big-play offense of the two familiar NFC North opponents. But Detroit has been efficient offensively without big games from quarterback Matt Stafford and has been strong defensively.

Just 17th in the NFL in offensive yards per game, the Lions are seventh in the league in points per game.

"They are running the ball good," Zimmer said of Detroit. "The two running backs they have are very explosive and quick. Matt Stafford scrambles around a lot. He is averaging eight yards per carry. They have weapons on the outside and their tight ends are good, so it is a good football team."

One reason the Lions haven't compiled league-leading yardage totals is the work of the defense. Detroit is tied for second in the NFL with eight takeaways, including seven interceptions.

The takeaways have helped the Lions to an NFL-best plus-six turnover-margin.

"They do a good job of getting pressure on the quarterback," Zimmer said. "They play tight in coverage. They are very well coached scheme-wise, fundamentally sound, and they are around the football so they end up getting a lot of picks."

While Bradford's status is likely to linger to the end of the week, Detroit is also dealing with its own injury concerns.

Starting defensive end Ziggy Ansah (knee) and guard T.J. Lang (fibula) didn't practice Wednesday. Rookie linebacker Jarrad Davis (concussion), starting safeties Quin (knee) and Tavon Wilson (shoulder), and center Travis Swanson were all limited in practice.

Sunday marks the first division game for each team. The Lions have had the better of the recent meetings, winning eight of the past 14 games between the teams, including a sweep last season.

The two wins last year were by a combined nine points and only four of the past 14 games between the teams have been decided by double digits.

"We're going to have to play better than we did last week, I think, offensively in order for us to beat these guys on the road," Lions receiver Golden Tate told the team's website.

Minnesota is allowing the third-fewest rushing yards per game this season and came through with its first three takeaways of the season in beating Tampa Bay.

"Everything you want out a defense, they do," Stafford told the team's website, adding, "Not a whole lot of blown assignments on film. ... They're in the right place at the right time. They know how to make in-game, in-play adjustments.

"They play fast and physical. Everything you'd want out of a defense, they do."

The best officiating crew in the NFL is Bill Vinovich's, because they don't throw a flag for every little thing. I want the league to move all of their officiating crews in this direction.

BUT sometimes they will burn your team. One obvious PI just ignored on 3rd down. That's a bummer but I guess I'd rather they be sure than throw a flag based on what a play might look like from a poor angle

Edited by BwareDWare94

It's really disheartening to see this team lose mostly due to their own carelessness. I would rather see them play as well as they can with a backup QB but lose to a better team. But that's not what happened. How many fuck ups can one team have at home?

Cook's injury feared to be a torn ACL...what's the point of caring about football....

Defense looked pretty great. We basically fumbled the game away here, plus some dumb penalties. It would suck to seek Cook out already, but that's why I stopped investing emotions into this team.

But every-now-and-then they still seep through... :(

Cook's initial diagnosis is a nearly complete tear of the ACL :(

Go Wild

Some quality fans right here.

Some quality logic right here.

Giving up on the season or not caring about the team/football after an injury is pretty weak. The Vikes still have one of the best defenses in the league and if rumors are true about Teddy potentially coming back when he's eligible, the Vikes are still in a good position. It sucks losing Cook, injuries always suck but c'mon...

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

I was making a joke, I didn't take your comment personally.

I support the Vikings in my own way. I'm still going to follow everything that's put out about them, and I'm still gonna watch the games until something else catches my interest (it happens with everything, even OSU games and movies I enjoy). I recognized that I invested way too much energy into how my teams were doing, and I decided to peel it back. I'm not giving up on the season, it's just unfortunate that this happened. A few years ago, I might actually waste my time wondering what the hell the Vikings were going to do to resolve this. It's out of my control, no reason for me to invest so much into a Cook injury. That's where I'm coming from.

I was making a joke, I didn't take your comment personally.

I support the Vikings in my own way. I'm still going to follow everything that's put out about them, and I'm still gonna watch the games until something else catches my interest (it happens with everything, even OSU games and movies I enjoy). I recognized that I invested way too much energy into how my teams were doing, and I decided to peel it back. I'm not giving up on the season, it's just unfortunate that this happened. A few years ago, I might actually waste my time wondering what the hell the Vikings were going to do to resolve this. It's out of my control, no reason for me to invest so much into a Cook injury. That's where I'm coming from.

I get that, getting too invested into the game can suck when anything bad happens. I guess I'm referring to Bware more saying "What's the point of caring about football" or "go Wild" which is basically giving up on the season, when anything can happen. When Rodgers broke his collarbone in 2013, everyone thought the season was done for but Flynn had that crazy comeback in Dallas to set the table for Rodgers to comeback and win the division. Or being 4-6 last season and we all know how that ended. There is some stiff competition in the North so it definitely won't be easy for the Vikes, but who knows.

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed watching the defense this week. I'll probably continue to enjoy watching them. As I've grown older, good defensive games have become more satisfying.