Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Cam: "It's Funny Hearing a Female Talk Routes"

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton laughed and made light of a female reporter who asked about one of his teammates, saying it was "funny to hear a female" ask the question.

Charlotte Observer beat reporter Jourdan Rodrigue asked Newton during Wednesday's news conference about wide receiver Devin Funchess embracing the physicality of routes and if Newton got enjoyment out of that.

Newton responded, "It's funny to hear a female talk about routes like -- it's funny.''

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20916366/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-laughs-female-reporter-media-session

In the link, reporter says she talked to Newton privately as well, where his response was even worse.

Yikes.

Hopefully for Cam's sake, his words were taken out of context. If not, he's about to get a whole shit storm of political correctness.

Hopefully for Cam's sake, his words were taken out of context. If not, he's about to get a whole shit storm of political correctness.

You can watch it for yourself at the link to come up with your own opinion. Doesn't look that way to me. He is laughing and smirking at her before she even finishes the question,

Short version of question

" Do you get enjoyment seeing Funchess truck stick people out there "

Then he laughs again and says this comment.

Yeah context is uh... not helping him there. Sounds like a stupid remark and one he'll probably 'apologize' for in the coming days.

Yeah, even just watching him up there.. You can tell, he means exactly what everyone thinks he means. The inflection in his voice is demeaning to her.

Mentioned before, but she sought Cam privately leaving his locker, he did not apologize, and allegedly made similar comments about women in other professions.

What an asshole. :rog:

Statement from the NFL on Cam Newton's comments to a female reporter today: ‘'The comments are just plain wrong and disrespectful to the exceptional female reporters and all journalists who cover our league. They do not reflect the thinking of the league.''

I think Cam was a dick here, but I can't take any public statement the NFL makes seriously. They're just saving face.

My dad and his gf said this shit one night. And his gf wad the one to initiate the conversation by saying, "I just don't think a woman should have that job." Wtf is that?

Cam loves to let everyone know what a dumb motherfucker he is, lmao.

• Upvote 1

It looks a lot more like Cam is treating it like a high school girlfriend asking the question than a well-read reporter. I don't think it was intended to come off as misogynistic and sexist, just playful and in a way flirtatious. That said, it's uncomfortable for the reporter and unnecessary as a whole. Juvenile shit from Cam.

Hoo boy.

Nothing defensible about that at all. It's unfortunately how Cam has treated women his entire career. Surprised the previous incidents haven't gotten that much publicity, tbh.

Dannon (yogurt) has dropped Cam.

I wonder if he ever even went to a college class. Dude is so fucking dumb

Edited by BwareDWare94

Yes, he did.

I mean, it was only to steal laptops out of it, but he went there.

• Upvote 2

He did, there is video evidence of it.

Dude did go back and get his degree after being drafted, which honestly, kudos to him. Most NFL players don't do that, I think.

The reporter in question is also under fire now because people went back on her twitter account and found her talking about her dad making racist jokes and she used the word "nigga" (am I allowed to say that on here?).

Which I could have sworn sitting through a lecture on here about how it was different than the actual n word.

Anywho, not surprised he's losing sponsors. But, its Cam. He is what he is at this point and he's not gonna change.

For the record, I don't think he was being intentionally sexist, he probably was just trying to make a joke. Women reporters have asked him questions about football before and he hasn't answered with something like that. He does go after media members he personally dislikes, (the Panthers writer for ESPN, David Newton, he hates with a passion), but that's not what this was.

Edited by Thanatos

He's been acting like this from the time he cashed his first check from football... at auburn.

His Peter fucking pan ass ain't ever gonna grow up. He's never been given a real reason to change.

Phil. Phil phil phil.

You think the guy that actually writes like this:

"FØR thįš Ł1FË į €ÅNñöt €HÅNGË"
@panthers
#iWmW -1OVE
#šhįñëTHRŪthëŠHÅDË
#këëpPØŪND1NG

ŠÂŸ 1T ŁØŪD......
įm ß1Å€K ÅND įm ₽RØŪD️" -JÅMË$ ßRØ₩N
#iWmW -1OVE
#šhįñëTHRŪthëŠHÅDË
#BLÅČKpöwër
#ŁËTŠâłłČÔMÊtögëthër

Direct quotes from his instagram-

is part of a super secret conspiracy and is able to keep all these secrets? Really?

Phil. Phil phil phil.

You think the guy that actually writes like this:

"FØR thįš Ł1FË į €ÅNñöt €HÅNGË"

@panthers

#iWmW -1OVE

#šhįñëTHRŪthëŠHÅDË

#këëpPØŪND1NG

ŠÂŸ 1T ŁØŪD......

įm ß1Å€K ÅND įm ₽RØŪD️" -JÅMË$ ßRØ₩N

#iWmW -1OVE

#šhįñëTHRŪthëŠHÅDË

#BLÅČKpöwër

#ŁËTŠâłłČÔMÊtögëthër

Direct quotes from his instagram-

is part of a super secret conspiracy and is able to keep all these secrets? Really?

All part of the show. You proved his point for him.

• Upvote 1

One big puppet show and Thannypack is buying in like it's real drama. Smh.

• Upvote 1

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The apology should end this. It wasn't an off-the-cuff apology, it was unscripted, thought out, and he took the time to actually talk to people close to him and understand why what he said was wrong. I don't think when he said it he thought it was wrong, I think he thought he was joking/flirting, but he didn't understand that it came off as degrading to women.

Even when Dannon said they were ending his contract, he didn't come out and apologize right then to try to save $$$. He went and talked to people and "influential women" in his life, took the time to understand what he had done wrong, and then directly apologized for it, it wasn't just a generic apology.

That is how you apologize for something.

It's a great start, that is for sure.

As Bill Cowher said though, his actions will speak louder than his words.