Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Cam: "It's Funny Hearing a Female Talk Routes"

At what point did we start expecting football players to be the height of enlightenment and social conciousness? If somebody said this at a bar or some shit nobody would give a fuck. People get bent out of shape over the dumbest shit. That's not to say that football players can't be smart or that Cam isn't smart but come on lol. This is just a dumb comment made by one guy. We've all put our foot in our mouth at some point. We just didn't have a camera in our face.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

It's because they have a platform and cameras in their face that we listen to what they say. It's the same reason a lot of people take the kneeling so seriously. You can't have it both ways..

These guys who kneel are smart so we are going to make sure to listen to them...

But Cam Newton is a moron so we are going to make sure we ignore him..

• Upvote 1

At what point did we start expecting football players to be the height of enlightenment and social conciousness? If somebody said this at a bar or some shit nobody would give a fuck. People get bent out of shape over the dumbest shit. That's not to say that football players can't be smart or that Cam isn't smart but come on lol. This is just a dumb comment made by one guy. We've all put our foot in our mouth at some point. We just didn't have a camera in our face.

I was on board with this when it was the Trump/Bush tapes because he didn't know it was being recorded. But Cam knows he has a camera in his face and should know better than to incite the wrath of an entire gender and then some.

Lmao you give Trump a pass for that horrific comment but go after Cam for something far more tame?

Cmon, man.

Lmao you give Trump a pass for that horrific comment but go after Cam for something far more tame?

Cmon, man.

You're a hating pussy looking for another reason to disparage Trump if you think the Bush tapes were any worse than random shit we say in the shoutbox. But we went through this enough a year ago. "HE ADMITTED TO SEXUAL ASSAULT ANYONE THAT SUPPORTS HIM SUPPORTS RAAAAAAPE"

• Upvote 1

Cam Newton made an ass of himself...so what? The amount of coverage it's gotten is fucking dumb. People say stupid shit all the time. He knew he had a microphone in his face, sure. He's an idiot...ok time to move on. What significance does this have about anything? Lol

I mean....is he wrong lol. In seriousness he should have known better than to say that in today's society. You can't say men are stronger than women without getting crucified. So when someone who has an intimate understanding of route concepts talks to someone who is not traditionally elected to know these things says it's funny...its because it is.

If you say it isn't, next time a woman says you don't understand something, stop her, and then proceed to tell her your expertise in the subject. If I told my wife what pregnancy was like she would look at me like a reward even though I have been there through all of them right beside her. There is something to be said about expertise from experience versus watching as a spectator.

Not saying this woman didn't know about routes, but if she knew then better than cam you would surprised. That would be akin to a first year math major taking spectral theory with a fields medalist. It too would be funny.

Edited by Omerta

Eh idk there are a lot of nerdy dudes who never actually played football at all that know the route tree pretty damn well. I'm not sure that comparison works.

As well as Cam or an NFL coach ? And don't take the exception as the rule. You also kinda proved my point. You said nerdy dude's, not nerdy females. Could it be you subconsciously think that way too ?

As well as Cam or an NFL coach ? And don't take the exception as the rule. You also kinda proved my point. You said nerdy dude's, not nerdy females. Could it be you subconsciously think that way too ?

Nah, I was just saying that there are men who have no experience playing competitive football but who study the game and know the route tree and it's just something that you can learn no matter your gender or athletic ability. A nerdy woman or a smoking hot woman could study film and route trees and anything about football and become an expert.

Yes, its totally plausible. Statistically speaking though, men would probably know it better, especially the men Cam has been around. For my fellow math geeks, you are talking about the confounding variable.

Edited by Omerta

yeah it's definitely not typical for a woman to even give a fuck about sports. We agree on that but she's also a sports journalist so you would think that she would know a thing or two. I mean idk we're arguing semantics here because we basically agree on the issue. Cam is definitely smart enough to know not say some shit like that. He's a pretty eloquent dude if you've ever heard him speak. I just think that the amount of press it gets is dumb. Like....he's a football player. Does it matter if he says something offensive or stupid. Not really, no. Most professional football players aren't exactly Rhodes Scholars so you kind of have to take what they have to say with a grain of salt. Just one asshole's opinion just like yours or mine lol.

On average does a male probably know more about sports ? Id say thats a fair assumption.

But its not like this woman was some random woman. She has media credentials and is a beat reporter for a local newspaper. And its not like she was asking about a specific route she didnt ask about Funchess running expert curls or go routes.

If Im a player at that podium Id just naturally assume that the people in that room know at least enough about football or the Panthers (or any team) to ask a fairly simple question about the sport.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

On average does a male probably know more about sports ? Id say thats a fair assumption.

But its not like this woman was some random woman. She has media credentials and is a beat reporter for a local newspaper. And its not like she was asking about a specific route she didnt ask about Funchess running expert curls or go routes.

If Im a player at that podium Id just naturally assume that the people in that room know at least enough about football or the Panthers (or any team) to ask a fairly simple question about the sport.[/quote.]

sure, I can understand that I'm just saying for everybody who is screaming about empathy, take a little time to think about Cam Newton. He is what, some twenty-five or twenty-six year old kid getting paid Millions. His entire life has been taught the game of football by people who are the four most mines in his field, and they generally are male. So to him, yet probably is kind of funny and out of the ordinary to hear a woman trying to talk about route Concepts.

This is not to say that they can not do it, just to say that he probably isn't used to it. I don't see this as some nefarious comment or jab at women I just see it as a guy who said something that was truthful to him, that he probably didn't mean it the way it came out.

Forgetting the sexism part, that was such a softball question that itt's pretty impressive that screwed it up that badly. All she was really saying was "hey, here's a chance to hype up your teammate for a minute."

All Cam was saying is that it is weird to hear a female talk about routes, which in general it is. It is pretty clear he was joking around. If you logically interpret what he said in context, it is clear to me he was not taking a demeaning jab at the female gender. Can't help that the media jumps on it and makes it something that it is not to drum up controversy.

• Upvote 1

I'm with Cam on this one, I'm surprised a woman has time to talk about routes given her duties in the kitchen.

There may be a bit more to this story than was originally reported. According to another reporter who was there, Cam and Jourdan left that second discussion both smiling, and contrary to original reporting, there was not "stunned silence" after Cam answers Jourdan's question, but that things continued as they would in a normal press conference.

http://carolinablitz.com/2017/10/26/cam-newtons-beef-with-local-media-has-been-brewing-for-years-now-hes-doing-something-about-it/