Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Cards @ Eagles

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20171008021&home=21&vis=22

(TSX / STATS) -- PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Eagles will look to strengthen their position in the NFC with a matchup against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday afternoon at Lincoln Financial Field.

The Eagles improved to 3-1 after a 26-24 road victory over the Los Angeles Chargers last week and the Cardinals evened their record at 2-2 after an 18-15 overtime win over the San Francisco 49ers.

Philadelphia did an admirable job of establishing the run against the Chargers with LeGarrette Blount carrying 16 times for 136 yards.

The Eagles were able to control the clock in the waning minutes of the fourth quarter on their way to a two-point win.

"Every week you try to go in and you try to establish your running game," Eagles coach Doug Pederson told reporters. "That's the first thing you have to do. If you can do that, it will open up a little play-action pass, it will open up shots down the field. And that's kind of where you want to start.

"And then for us these last couple of weeks our running game is just -- it's been a combination of great game planning by (offensive line) coach (Jeff) Stoutland, the desire and the will and the want to by the offensive line.

"With tight ends and quarterback Carson (Wentz) being a part of that. And then just execution on game day. And it's just all combinations of that."

Wentz has been consistent through four games with 1,058 yards passing, six touchdowns, two interceptions and a quarterback rating of 90.5

On the defensive side, the Eagles have scuffled in the second half but have done enough to win. It looks as if defensive tackle Fletcher Cox (calf) will be out for a second straight game, though a decision hasn't been made yet. Safety Rodney McLeod, however, is listed as questionable with a sore hamstring for Sunday's game.

Rookie kicker Jake Elliott continued his strong play one week after kicking a franchise-record 61-yard field goal to defeat the New York Giants. Elliott, who connected on a 53-yarder against the Chargers, has made six field goals in a row.

The banged-up Cardinals will be missing left tackle D.J. Humphries, who injured a knee in the first quarter of the season opener.

"He reinjured (his knee)," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians told reporters during his Monday press conference. "There's another slight little tear when we were in pads last week."

The Cardinals are also without outside linebacker Markus Golden for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee.

Veteran wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who has a touchdown reception in each of the last two games, is still playing at a high level at age 34. Fitzgerald's 19-yard touchdown catch in overtime gave the Cardinals a three-point win over the 49ers.

"He's the best I've ever seen and I've seen some really good ones," Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer told ESPN.com

After the overtime win, Fitzgerald wasn't concerned with statistics or records.

"There's games that you have opportunities and things are going to come your way and you're going to make some plays," Fitzgerald told ESPN.com. "I've played over 200 games now and there's always going to be highs and lows.

"When I was younger, I would get hot about not being involved and things like that, but now, it just doesn't really matter to me, honestly. Ten catches, two catches ... wins. I mean, I just want to win."

Fitzgerald has the full attention of the Eagles.

"I know coach Arians has said he's playing at a level that he has not seen him play before," Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz told reporters. "They have had their struggles here and there. But I think he's really playing good football and we have our work cut out for us.

"Again, it can't just be about Larry Fitzgerald and it can't be about one player. If you make it that way you're going to be susceptible to other things and we've got to do a better job of not being susceptible to other things."

Palmer has thrown for 1,282 yards with five touchdowns and five interceptions while under heavy pressure most of the time. Their offensive line has allowed 17 sacks this season.

Hot start for the Eagles.

Carson Wentz did a great job identifying the blitz pre-snap all day and just knowing where to go with the football. He built on what was one of his best games as a pro last week with a very strong preformance this week. I would still like to see a little more consistency as far as his accuracy goes but I think that's getting better too. Very happy with his development this year. I think our franchise is in good hands.

The only misleading part of today's game is that the Eagles won't convert 3rd and long like that again. Definitely a little fluky with all those third and long conversions.

You also know Jeffery is going to get loose soon because teams are going to have to give more attention to guys like Ertz and Agholor. Hopefully a nice day from Torrey Smith is a sign of things to come, too, and he really should have more opportunities to torch a leaky Carolina secondary on Thursday.

Lost in all this praise heaped on Wentz is the play of this OL. Simply incredible

Edited by BwareDWare94

I was at the game, and it was AWESOME. Living in Florida, I had forgotten what a real sporting event is like. The crowd was electric, and the Eagles kicked ass.

As happy as I am with the win, we've beaten three crappy teams in a row. The schedule gets harder, and this week's Thursday trip to Carolina is going to be really tough, especially with Lane Johnson hurt. We'll know a lot more about both teams Thursday night.

Also, now is probably a good time to remember the Browns didn't draft Wentz because they didn't think he would be a top-20 QB in this league.

:rog:

If I was Cleveland I'd fire Hue Jackson right now.

Wentz is something else in person, isn't he? You can't really get a good idea of how many tough throws he can make with ease until you see it in person. The game of his I saw in Fargo in the playoffs against Zenner and SDSU featured so many NFL level throws, most notably the GW touchdown.

Edited by BwareDWare94