Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Eagles @ Panthers

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20171012029&home=29&vis=21

(TSX / STATS) -- CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- It feels so good after five games for the Philadelphia Eagles and Carolina Panthers that they're both in the right frame of mind for a short week of preparation before their next game.

It's about to be better for one of them as the winner of Thursday night's matchup at Bank of America Stadium will be the NFL's second five-win team of the season.

"We're finding ways to keep getting better," Panthers quarterback Cam Newton said. "Good for our morale as a whole."

Both teams are 4-1. The Eagles come flying in with growing confidence after a dominating performance in whipping the Arizona Cardinals 34-7.

"You don't really have time to dwell on your past success," Eagles coach Doug Pederson said. "I look at it as the maturity of the football team, the experience of the football team. They know what it takes to stay focused. They know what it takes to stay grounded. It's my job to keep them grounded, keep them focused."

With only three full days between games, the teams are looking at the quick turnaround as one of the challenges. Both teams have found a groove, with the Panthers posting back-to-back road victories at New England and Detroit.

Carolina coach Ron Rivera said it could get better for the Panthers.

Quarterback Cam Newton is coming off a pair of sterling outings as his practice time has increased following offseason shoulder surgery.

"We went on a rough patch early on this year because he was still working himself back into football shape," Rivera said. "Now he's starting to feel better and better and stronger and stronger. He's getting his arm strength back. Now we see it and we know he can throw. I think it will open up more and more things."

Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz leads the NFL with 37 completed third-down passes and 11 yards per attempt on third down along with six third-down touchdown throws. He said he has the right mix of players around him.

"Offensively, we can be dynamic, we can be explosive," Wentz said. "We've got to keep making plays."

While the Panthers have been stymied trying to run the ball the past couple of weeks, the Eagles have appeared more balanced.

"I think that's the big reason we've been able to be so successful," Wentz said. "We're able to move the ball in the air. We've been able to move the ball on the ground. I think that's what makes us tough to defend at times."

Yet the Eagles have concerns along the offensive line. Right tackle Lane Johnson was placed in concussion protocol during Sunday's game, so that might mean Halapoulivaati Vaitai will be called upon for full duty. Vaitai received good reviews for his backup role against the 49ers, though Carolina ends Charles Johnson and Julius Peppers might create additional challenges.

"Big V stepped up," Wentz said of Vaitai. "Big V had tons of valuable experience last year. We feel solid. If Lane is not ready to go, we feel Big V will be ready."

Yet maintaining the level of offensive efficiency could be difficult against the Panthers.

"We've got multiple run schemes in every week," Pederson said. "It's just a matter of which ones are working that day. Each week it seems like we face a pretty good front and it's no different this week."

In 10 previous meetings between the teams, the top receiving number for a Carolina player came from tight end Greg Olsen with 119 yards in 2014. He won't play this time because of a foot injury that has him out for a couple of months, but his fill-in, Ed Dickson, is coming off a career-high 175-yard receiving performance.

Rivera said Dickson's production could open up other areas in the passing attack because he might have benefited from attention given to wideouts.

"It looked like they were more concerned with the outside than they were with Ed in the middle," Rivera said of the Lions. "Our backs have been a big concern for a lot of teams as well. ... If you're throwing the ball to eight different people, now they have to account for them."

Wentz threw for four touchdowns for the first time in his career Sunday. He seems anxious to see how he stacks up against Carolina.

"It's coming quick," he said. "All the preparation, everything speeds up. ... We're built differently. We know what to expect We're hungry. We're never going to get too high after a win. We just have to keep plugging along."

Carolina hadn't been bothered by penalties early in the season until it was flagged for seven penalties within the first 16 minutes in Detroit. Rivera said it will take better discipline to maintain the winning ways.

Edited by Vin

Thursday Games are always weird. I'll take the Panthers here on home field advantage but... I honestly don't think that means much.

:panthers: 20

:Eagles: 16

This is a huge measuring stick game for the NFC. We know what The Packers are (The Aaron Rodgers Show). The Panthers and the Eagles are playing way better than they did last year. Are the both for real? Is this a possible conference championship game preview or is one a pretender? I love the match up of the Eagles interior defensive line with Cox coming against the Panthers interior offensive line. I think they're going to collapse the pocket and the DE's will clean up.

:Eagles: 23

:panthers: 17

Eagles will force some turn overs and win on special teams but the Panthers defense will put up a good fight.

I think Carson Wentz is about to get straight up murdered.

Julius Peppers is going to eat.

:Eagles: 16

:panthers: 30

In seriousness though, the game will turn on the interior play. We don't have Ryan Kalil for the 5th straight game,that's a huge blow. Everyone else is healthy, so that's nice, but not having Ryan is going to hurt against the Eagles interior D-line. If we had a competent OC that would be one thing, we should be attacking the edges. But, um, we don't. We'll probly try to run right up the middle 99% of the time on first down.

Edited by Thanatos

I'd rather see 3rd and 5+ than 3rd and short.

Fucking stupid ass playcalling.

Fletcher Cox ladies and gentlemen. That is all.

Oh and I hated Romo as a player but he's great in the booth. Soooooo much better than Sims lol.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

Carson Wentz is the man. Doug Pederson is the man. Fletcher Cox is the man. Everybody is the man.

Great win by the Eagles for a Thursday game on the road. Quick thoughts:

• Wentz got sacked 3 times in the first quarter, then never again the rest of the game. Great adjustments by the O-line and coaches.
  • Wentz was a little errant in the first half, airmailing a few throws, but he settled down and had a pretty solid game. His only turnover (fumble) was more on the blocking than anything else.
  • Great call by Pederson to go for two after that penalty brought the PAT to the 1-yard line.
  • Inconsistent officiating. Over 120 yards of penalties on the Eagles versus only 1 yard on the Panthers? C'mon man.
  • Carolina's offense has so much potential. I know we all laughed at them for drafting McCaffrey and Samuel, but they have a ton of speed, and their use of misdirection makes them hard to play against.
  • Cam Newton looked a little shaky, didn't he? His composure was fine, but his accuracy was way off.
  • Plenty of questionable play-calls by the Panthers on offense. I'm sure Carolina fans feel they should have won this one.
  • Another rough outing for Jalen Mills, even if the second DPI call on him was total bullshit. Can't wait to get Ronald Darby back.
  • Upvote 1

The Eagles corners are playing well above what was expected and it'll only get better when Darby comes back. This Eagles defense is fast and disciplined, and wow can they tackle.

As for the offense, you could tell the OL was missing its best player last night. Vitai is certainly a solid player but Lane Johnson is probably the best RT in football. Wentz had another very good game with a low completion percentage, which seems to be an odd trend for him so far this season. Considering the amount of times he got hit last night it's important to praise him for not letting that first lost fumble snowball into more turnovers. I also appreciated the way he hit the defense back on some runs, but he needs to quit lol. He had a few amazing throws last night but still needs to find Jeffery more. The running game looks good and whiLe I wish Sproles hadn't gotten injured, the best thing that has happened to this Eagles offense is Pederson not being comfortable calling so many screen passes anymore.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

Yeah I mean, Carson had a low completion percentage but the Panthers defense is pretty good.

.https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/10/13/16468440/eagles-pete-morelli-crew-beat-panthers-philadelphia-carolina-officiating-flags-calls-stats-nfl

To the morons in the shout box who thinks I was just complaining..

Also a side note while the Eagles were under Pete Morelli officiating crew the last 4 games Eagles have been on the road and been penalized 40 times for 396 yards while their opponents have been penalized eight times for 70 yards

Edited by WeaponX20
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Sounds like the Eagles should be more disciplined . ?

Sounds like the Eagles should be more disciplined .

Lol sounds like him and his crew should be under investigation and should be fired

Yet another reminder that the Browns passed on Wentz because they didn't see him as a top-20 QB.

If you say you don't see him as an elite QB, fine, that's understandable, because you can only win Super Bowls with elite QBs. But top-20? Carson is already a top-20 QB. I feel bad for Browns fans.

Linking a biased Eagles site to try proving your point :rofl:

Nobody ever said the refs weren't horrible, they missed calls throughout the game. But to try saying they were paid off is hilarious.

Yet another reminder that the Browns passed on Wentz because they didn't see him as a top-20 QB.

If you say you don't see him as an elite QB, fine, that's understandable, because you can only win Super Bowls with elite QBs. But top-20? Carson is already a top-20 QB. I feel bad for Browns fans.

If the Seahawks can win one with Wilson and the Ravens with Flacco, the Eagles can win one with Wentz. I honestly think he's already better than both. At least on a game by game basis. Wilson's peaks are sky high, but most of the time he's overwhelmingly below average

If the Seahawks can win one with Wilson and the Ravens with Flacco, the Eagles can win one with Wentz. I honestly think he's already better than both. At least on a game by game basis. Wilson's peaks are sky high, but most of the time he's overwhelmingly below average

He is not better than Wilson and when the Ravens won the Super Bowl, Flacco had one of the best postseasons that fueled it.

He's definitely better than Wilson so far in 2017. Granted, Russell Wilson sucks most of the time

He's definitely better than Wilson so far in 2017. Granted, Russell Wilson sucks most of the time

Going into last night, their stats were fairly even with Wentz having a slight edge. And if it wasn't for the defense giving Wentz the ball twice in the redzone he would have had a pretty mediocre night. Your hard on for Wentz is hilarious

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

The media's hard on for Wilson is unjustified and ridiculous and has been from day 1

Going into last night, their stats were fairly even with Wentz having a slight edge. And if it wasn't for the defense giving Wentz the ball twice in the redzone he would have had a pretty mediocre night. Your hard on for Wentz is hilarious

Maybe The Panthers should get a little credit for having a pretty good defense bud lol. He played well for a second year QB playing against a good team on the road on a short week. Also, good QB's convert turn overs into touch downs. Pretty stupid to hold that against Wentz. Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 2

Maybe The Panthers should get a little credit for having a pretty good defense bud lol. He played well for a second year QB playing against a good team on the road on a short week. Also, good QB's convert turn overs into touch downs. Pretty stupid to hold that against Wentz.

Nobody is arguing that. I think Wentz has played well and has been impressive. Just pointing out he really only had 1 impressive drive last night. But to try saying he is better than Wilson is ridiculous. Bware was trying to say Wilson has been terrible, yet their stats are fairly similar.

Stats don't mean shit. The eye test tells all.

The eye test should back up the fact that Russell Wilson is a god on the field too. >_>

The eye test should back up the fact that Russell Wilson is a god on the field too. >_>

The Seahawks struggle to score two touchdowns a game. Yes the weapons are lacking but Wilson is part or the problem, too. He's not that good. Never has been.