Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Packers @ Vikings

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20171015016&home=16&vis=9

(TSX / STATS) -- MINNEAPOLIS -- The Green Bay Packers have realistically employed two starting quarterbacks for the past 25 years. The Minnesota Vikings look to be employing two starting quarterbacks this week alone -- and a third might be on the way.

If hints about the current health reports are true, Sunday's first meeting of the season between Minnesota (3-2) and Green Bay (4-1) at U.S. Bank Stadium looks to be a matchup between one of pro football's most prolific passers -- Packers starter Aaron Rodgers -- versus one of college football's legendary passers -- Vikings backup Case Keenum.

Keenum, who has played in four of Minnesota's first five games, came on in relief of starter Sam Bradford on Monday in Chicago and helped spark the Vikings to a 20-17 victory.

Bradford, who hadn't played since the season opener, looked rusty and was ineffective. He was benched before halftime after aggravating a left knee injury.

With Bradford not practicing Wednesday, Keenum looked likely to get the start in Minnesota's biggest home rivalry game of the season.

Keenum, who set an NCAA standard at the University of Houston by passing for more than 5,000 yards three times, told reporters he anticipates starting this week and every week.

"I'm always expecting that. Every time I step on the practice field, that's how I'm preparing," said Keenum, who has started three games for the Vikings and has thrown four touchdown passes with no interceptions. "I've gotten more comfortable every week.

"I think that's what experience brings and experience is priceless, in the offense you're running and with the guys you're running with. We've got some good experience, but a lot of things to work on as well, so we need to go to work and get better."

Keenum may need to do so without top receiver Stefon Diggs, who was limited in the game against Chicago and missed practice this week with a groin injury.

The Vikings' quarterback situation has been in flux since the end of training camp in 2016, when starter Teddy Bridgewater was lost to a severe knee injury suffered in practice. That prompted the trade for Bradford, and Bradford's injury early this season prompted Keenum's insertion as the starter.

Bridgewater has not practiced in more than a year but is scheduled to come off the physically unable to perform list next week, which may further cloud the quarterback waters.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer has not yet named a starter for Sunday, increasing the challenge for the Packers as they develop a game plan.

"We'll watch the week and see how it goes as far as who's practicing and who's not, but we're really focused on what they do offensively, particularly the running back situation," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Wednesday.

"Shifts, motion, the tempo that they play with, obviously they're generating a lot of big plays and that's been impressive so far this year. So we're focusing on the concepts and the things they're doing very well."

Green Bay has won three in a row, including a last-minute comeback victory in Dallas last weekend that added to Rodgers' resume as a cool-under-fire passer.

"He had some bumps as you always do to start the season, but I thought the Dallas game was his best game this year," McCarthy said of Rodgers, who has 13 touchdown passes and three interceptions in five starts. "There are a lot of moving parts on offense and I think he's managed that really well, as he always has."

Packers receiver Jordy Nelson did not play late in the game against the Cowboys because of a back ailment but was a full participant in practice Wednesday. He and Rodgers will face a tough test in Minnesota's defense.

Keenum admitted that in the offseason when he was weighing his free agent options the knowledge that he wouldn't have to face Zimmer's defense was one of the reasons he signed with the Vikings.

"Mike is an innovator. He's brought some concepts to the league that other people have tried to copy but not with anywhere near the success he's had, both in Cincinnati and now in Minnesota," Rodgers said.

His only other visit to U.S. Bank Stadium, for last season's opener, ended with a Minnesota interception in a 17-14 Vikings victory.

"He's just a very smart coach and has his guys well prepared," Rodgers said. "They do a good job of disguising things, making a lot of coverages look the same and then running different things out of it."

Minnesota has won two of the last three games in the rivalry, although the Packers won the most recent game 38-25 on Christmas Eve at Lambeau Field.

I think Keenum has been doing fairly well, all things considered. However he's not going to make the difference in this game. It'll be up to the Vikings pass rush to do that. I expect a close game, but the Packers should just squeeze through.

:Packers: 21

:Vikings: 20

Mike Zimmer is as good as anyone in slowing down Rodgers. with that said.. We are facing our 11th Vikings QB in 12 years and his name is Case Keenum... We shouldn't lose this and if we do, fuck off. lol

No Diggs, too. Theilen will roast your secondary but who else is going to show up?

Would've that rather happened to a good team... lol. When you lose your Hall of Fame QB to a bad dirty team like the Vikings, it just stings all the more.

I understand McCarthy trying to focus on the run because Hundley was obviously not well prepared for this game, but moving forward if we have any shot McCarthy can't baby Hundley. Next week will say a lot, good or bad.

EDIT:

Also... At the end of that game, we had like 4 of our 5 top DBs hurt (everyone but HaHa) and we were playing a a guy we signed like 2 weeks ago off the Cardinals practice squad at RT ... Only 2 players on the line finished where they started. Uneblievable.

And the Vikings couldn't muster more than 23 points and only won by 13... LMAO. How pathetic.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

Ya, this game just solidified the Vikes as my most hated team. Fuck them and fuck Barr. For all our injuries, it was a fairly pathetic showing for the Vikes. The NFCN isn't doing shit this season.

Going to keep rooting for the Packers obviously but I can't see us doing very well. It may be best to tank and grab another difference maker. Another CB to pair with King or passrusher to replace Matthews.

The improbable will happen. Packers somehow muster their willpower through the last 10 games, make the playoffs where Aaron Rodgers returns and leads us to the most legendary Super Bowl victory of all time.

• Upvote 1

I guess it all comes down to the extent of the injury. If it isn't season ending, then maybe Hundley can squeak some wins out. Setting up for Rodgers to return in week 17 and break the Lions' hearts again. Just sucks cause the NFC doesn't look that good and the Pack had a real chance at homefield advantage.

• Upvote 1

Lol it wasn't even a dirty hit. You roll out you get smacked if you don't get rid of the ball early enough. Sucks Rodgers is hurt but it was a legal hit and certainly not dirty.

Yeah, they could only muster 23 points with Case Keenum who, despite his fierceness, is very, very limited compared to Bradford. With Bradford at even 85% this is a 40-10 kind of game because Case missed several potential TDs.

I called them a dirty team because of the illegal block on Pipkins by Treadwell. Very illegal and very dirty. That's how players get seriously hurt. Treadwell is a piece of shit and should be removed from the league.

The improbable will happen. Packers somehow muster their willpower through the last 10 games, make the playoffs where Aaron Rodgers returns and leads us to the most legendary Super Bowl victory of all time.

Impossible, because Teddy will come back and lead us to the most legendary Super Bowl victory of all time.

Yes, the Packers had insane injuries today, but don't forget Minnesota was down their #1 QB, RB, WR, and LG coming into this game. Minnesota has a better, deeper roster.

Yes, the Packers had insane injuries today, but don't forget Minnesota was down their #1 QB, RB, WR, and LG coming into this game. Minnesota has a better, deeper roster.

And the Packers were without their top 2 corners and defensive leader going into the game. Then lost more DBs and were playing 7th and 8th string tackles. As well as a backup LG. Even with all that, if Rodgers doesn't go down the game isn't even close.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

And the Packers were without their top 2 corners and defensive leader going into the game. Then lost more DBs and were playing 7th and 8th string tackles. As well as a backup LG. Even with all that, if Rodgers doesn't go down the game isn't even close.

And if we're both healthy we probably win by 10

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Downvote 1

Not really. We run the ball with Cook to shorten the game, Bradford torches your secondary with Diggs and Theilen, and the defense does enough to let us build a lead. The Packers depth is absolutely terrible at almost every position.

Edited by BwareDWare94

You said when healthy so what does depth have to do with it? If the D is healthy, they can stop Cook while King and House can hold their own against Diggs and Thielen. There isn't much behind those 2. While Burnett has faired well against Rudolph. Bradford isn't going to outplay Rodgers. You want to talk about depth, who covers Nelson, Cobb, Allison, etc? Rhodes is great and if he shadowed Adams like he did today, Nelson would feast against Waynes. In Minny, it would be a tight game but a game where Rodgers leads his team to victory. In Lambeau, not even close.

Also its hilarious you mention Bradford when Teddy is easily the better QB. Can't figure out why you think Bradford is so good, dude sucks.

:rofl: Teddy is terrible compared to Bradford. In his short career in Minnesota, Bradford has FAR outplayed Bridgewater.

:rofl: Alright, you can keep Cpt checkdown who will never lead a team to anything. Why don't you go jump on Wentz' bandwagon some more cause you don't know shit about the Vikes QB situation.

I think Hundley has talent reminded me of Donovan McNabb coming out if UCLA a little but honestly, Aaron Rodgers is why this team wins games. They're a bad team without him. Rodgers is probably the only QB in the league that could get this team to 10 wins and I think that's going to become evident in the next couple weeks. Nelson isn't what he once was because of injuries and their receivers don't get separation. This is gonna be an ugly season for the Pack.

You guys should be happy in a way though because with Rodgers out maybe the McCarthy/Capers/Thompson era can finally come to an end and the Packers can give Rodgers some help.

Bradford has been throwing downfield in Minnesota when he's had protection. Teddy can't even throw it 50 yards without looking like he's tearing himself in half...

Don't you remember how bad Teddy was when we beat you at Lambeau? Less than 100 yards passing.

Christian Ponder played better against Green Bay in Lambeau lol. Teddy sucks.

I'm not ruling the Packers out because:

1. I think Brett Hundley won't suck.
  2. The Lions aren't very good.
  3. The Vikings aren't very good.
Edited by SteVo

Bradford has been throwing downfield in Minnesota when he's had protection. Teddy can't even throw it 50 yards without looking like he's tearing himself in half...

Don't you remember how bad Teddy was when we beat you at Lambeau? Less than 100 yards passing.

Christian Ponder played better against Green Bay in Lambeau lol. Teddy sucks.

6.6 YPA, c'mon...Teddy is better, or was at least and had a lot more potential. Now how he looks after that nasty injury is still to be determined.

6.6 YPA with the worst OL in league history. He never had time. They literally couldn't call downfield passes