Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

2017-18 NBA Season Thread

Serious question: Can John Wall really be considered elite if he gets moved off-ball so he is not defending the opposing PG? This happened in the playoffs last year when it counted. And it is silly to me that Gortat would come out and say John will torture Lonzo all night (he didn't) when John doesn't even guard the opposing PG himself! Listen, I know the NBA is 85% offense but still the "blacktop kid" in me thinks that you have be willing and able to play defense when it matters.

I detest players that don't play defense. It's my gripe with Wiggins (and to an extension Towns). I think a part of the Warriors success is the team-oriented attitude of everyone doing what they need to do.

Yeah there's this mentality in the NBA for a lot of guys I think that defense just doesn't matter. You're definitely right about the Warriors. Their shooting is great but they play as a team moving the ball on offense and they put in the effort defensively and it's resulted in them being the best defensive team in basketball and that's without having a great post defender. Green is awesome but his height severely limits him against some opponents. He's no Rodman. I'm not sure how these young players buy into this narrative though because I've never seen a team win an NBA championship without playing defense. Kyrie stunk up the joint on defense for the Cavs title but they had guys who could get it done to mitigate that deficiency. You can't have your two best players just flat out not give a fuck on defense. Hopefully Thibs and Butler can get these guys to not play like selfish little pussies.

I detest players that don't play defense. It's my gripe with Wiggins (and to an extension Towns). I think a part of the Warriors success is the team-oriented attitude of everyone doing what they need to do.

Really? Wiggins best attribute coming out of college was his athleticism and defensive upside. That is a shame.

Really? Wiggins best attribute coming out of college was his athleticism and defensive upside. That is a shame.

It's one of the more bizzare whiffs on a player I can remember. If he was a total bust that'd be one thing, but to be a generally good player just the complete opposite of how he was projected to be good is weird.

Wiggins was not worth his extension. I'd have rather us bit the bullet and traded him, but who knows whether that'd affect Towns in whether he stays long term. Lack of defense from the two is pathetic.

Edit: reactionary post

I don't know why the Twolves struggle on defense. I don't know the game well enough to notice when I watch. Anyone have any insight?

Edited by OSUViking

Wiggins has turned into an offense first player in the mold of James Harden, KAT lacks awareness on defense and is also focussing on developing his offense, and Gibson is very slow at this point... Two of those guys are supposed to be your best players, and the other a defensive big

Plus Butler's health.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

So the Magic are off to a surprisingly hot 3-1 start that includes a blowout win in the King's castle. I'll enjoy this moment now until we inevitably come back down to Earth.

​I want to take a moment to now point out that the Orlando Magic sit alone atop the Eastern conference standings at 4-1 as of today, October 28th 2017. Last night was another blowout win over a contending team in the Spurs. I know this won't last, but I'm going to enjoy my brief moment after the past 5 years of misery.

• Upvote 1

Vogel has the Magic on the right track, wouldn't be surprised to see them in the playoffs this season. They still to find a PG to do any real damage. Fournier shot lights out last night while the Spurs couldn't hit shit. Its nice seeing Simmons do well since he exploded out of nowhere for the Spurs last season.

Ben Simmons is even better than I thought he would be. With zero jump shot he's been pretty efficient so far. 3.2 turnovers a game is pretty crazy too for damn near 7' PG.

Really hoping last night won't prove to be an anomaly for Chandler Parsons. It's been really hard to watch a player I supported so heavily have his career derailed by injury.

It's only 7 games in, but boy. Beating the Clippers in Staples Center, and then beating GSW in Oracle on back to back nights... Sitting on top of the Eastern Conference...

Eeeeyyyyyyy

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 1

Avery Bradley just plays winning basketball man. He was one of the most underrated acquisitions in the offseason.

5 losses down, 76 more to go.

Markannen is the great white hope Chicago needs for the future and has pleasantly surprised me....

Outside of him... the circus continues.

Suns 4 - 1 after ditching Watson and sending Bledsoe home! Not the greatest of competition, but it's still nice to see the team rally together and string some wins out of this massive shit stain of a season.

Also, TJ Warren dropping 40 tonight :rock:

Edited by Olenna4Ever

And speaking of Bledsoe, there's talks about Detroit wanting him for Jackson.

The thought of having Bledsoe both scares and excites me. Dumping Jackson now that he's starting to look good again for a guy who might take some time adjusting assuming he's not hurt is very spooky.

But I also have been one of Bledsoe's greatest supporters.

Lonzo Ball and Dennis Smith are awesome but the only way to stop Ben Simmons is to hope he just misses his shots and even then he can contribute is so many other ways. He's just on another level man. He's going to run away ROTY.

Well after winning 4 straight, the Spurs have now dropped 4 straight. The last 4 have shown that the Spurs really need Kawhi back so he can close games and lead this team. Since starting hot, Murray has really struggled the last 5 games. Meanwhile Patty Mills has been absolute trash and has yet to make his big contract worth it. But at least there was this stat shown last night, shows how truly dominant the Spurs have been for the last 2 decades.

8ooaNSJ.png

• Upvote 2

Lonzo Ball is anything but awesome

Lauri Markannen is the true ROTY

Over Simmons? Only if you're in the camp that doesn't consider him a rookie which I can totally understand.

The Bulls have something with Markannen and as soon as Zach Lavine returns to form after probably a month or so when he starts playing again, boom. Couple of studs right there.

He's like a redshirt rookie.

I personally don't consider him one, he's a hell of a player and is only going to get better...

But as it stands for rookies Markannen is the next Dirk.

Yeah I feel you. It's kind of cheating to consider Ben a rookie tbh lol.

That image is why Gregg Popovich is the best coach in modern sports.

Edited by Sarge
  • Upvote 1