Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

2017-18 NBA Season Thread

Clippers fake retired his jersey to give him a glimpse of the future to entice him to re-sign with them... half of one season later he gets shipped to Motown... I wonder what changed in their minds.

​I'm not a fan of Max Kellerman, but he actually explained this one pretty well. Blake is a 4/4.5 star player getting paid 5 star player money as if he is an MVP caliber player. The Clippers realized paying him 30+ million a year for mediocrity at best is a poor move. The Pistons haven't been relevant since the Billups/Wallace/Hamilton/Prince days, so they're a bit more desperate to pay that money to a star. Especially with a new arena.

Why would Lebron go to the Clippers?

Why would Lebron go to the Clippers?

​The best argument would be Jerry West, guy has as great track record everywhere he goes. I know LeBron has a lot of respect for him. Plus, if Clippers clear up enough cap space it could be kind of an open canvas for LeBron to come into and bring other FAs. I legit don't think he's going there at all, but I'm sure Jerry West will be there to pitch something to LeBron though.

ESPN is reporting that LeBron will listen to offers from the Warriors when FA hits.

The NBA is awful.

I can almost guarantee with 100% certainty that in no universe would Lebron ever join the Warriors.

As someone who has supported in the past, and would support in the future any attempt by Lebron to join a superteam or create one, I would lose all respect for Lebron if he joins the Warriors. You guys can bookmark this page for future references.

Anyway, I'm late to the Pistons adding Griffin party, but historically in the NBA, the team that gets the superstar in the trade usually always win the trade. I have no problem with what the Pistons gave up, and would have no problem with them getting Griffin if it wasn't for the fact that Griffin is always hurt.

Griffin and Drummond will be your team for the forseeable future... how does that make you feel?

Clippers won the trade easily. They never won anything with Blake and they weren't about to start without CP3. They got a bunch of guys they can probably flip for future picks and they're gonna free up a ton of cash. Jerry West with all those assets will build a contender in short order. They need to bring in Marc Jackson now. I know you're a Pistons fan, Dmac but they got killed in this trade

My only concern for the Pistons is how do they upgrade the perimeter? Cap space is not in their favor now with Griffin getting paid over 30 million annually. I'm also pretty sure that Drummond has a deal that is pricey. I feel like it is going to reach a point where Detroit will have to consider trading one of their two All Star big men to try and upgrade the perimeter. I don't think Reggie Jackson cuts it.

Since I saw that Kobe reaction video of the Eagles winning the Super Bowl count me in the camp of people that say Kobe is better than LeBron because LeBron is a bitch made and can't hit the game winner and forget everything I said in the Best Player Since MJ thead. It was all lies meant to trick you. Kobe is obviously the best since MJ. :kobe:

• Upvote 2

When you're up by 21 on the Magic in the third quarter and end up losing by 18...I mean, if this isn't rock bottom for Cleveland, then rock bottom is going to be pretty scary.

When you're up by 21 on the Magic in the third quarter and end up losing by 18...I mean, if this isn't rock bottom for Cleveland, then rock bottom is going to be pretty scary.

And the worst part? This was the SECOND time the Cavs lost by double digits to Orlando this season. (Lost 114-93 on Oct. 24.) The other two meetings were won by the Cavs by just 4 points and 1 point respectively.

And yeah... they're falling off the cliff, climbing back up it and falling off again.

LOL Pacers-Pelicans was called off due to N.O.'s arena leaking from the roof.

Edited by BigBen07

So happy the Magic dumped Elfrid Payton, his terrible shooting and PnR defense was a killer.

So happy the Magic dumped Elfrid Payton, his terrible shooting and PnR defense was a killer.

I get that the concentration of talent is ridiculous in the NBA, but I don't get how poorly people play on defense. They are in the NBA for a reason, and even if they are bottom-half in terms of talent they're still pretty fucking good players. Maybe these people just always focused on being able to score on anybody by themselves, but I just can't imagine how someone makes it all the way to the NBA with basketball going as far back as their childhood, and they don't know how to play defense. Or maybe they do know how and they just don't try.

I'm wondering what everyone thought of Adam Silver's suggestion of reformatting the playoffs: taking the top eight teams from each conference and simply seeding them #1 through #16 by record.

I'm not sure if it would work tbh. This isn't a video game. These teams actually have to travel. The college tournament is played in one city so it's easier for them to do things the way they do. Most of the best young talent is in the East right now so the power balance will shift again in a couple years anyway.

Also, did anyone see Westbrook's post game interview from the Warriors game? Lol it was gold. Steven Adams and Westbrook make the Thunder a fun team to follow just for the lolz you get from when they talk to the media.

My favorite suggestion to reduce tanking is to base lottery odds on wins after elimination from playoff contention. With that you still help the bad teams because the worse your team is the more opportunities you'll have to boost that stat, but ultimately you're rewarding wins. Now it doesn't quite account for the truly terrible teams, but it'd be a step in the right direction. I also think you could balance it out in a hybrid system where odds are still partially based on standings, but it would give you what you want, which is a system that would ultimately reward winning games down the stretch.

• Upvote 1

My favorite suggestion to reduce tanking is to base lottery odds on wins after elimination from playoff contention. With that you still help the bad teams because the worse your team is the more opportunities you'll have to boost that stat, but ultimately you're rewarding wins. Now it doesn't quite account for the truly terrible teams, but it'd be a step in the right direction. I also think you could balance it out in a hybrid system where odds are still partially based on standings, but it would give you what you want, which is a system that would ultimately reward winning games down the stretch.

Agreed on all counts.