Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Redskins @ Eagles

(TSX / STATS) -- With the entire nation watching, the Philadelphia Eagles will attempt to take a commanding three-game lead in the NFC East when they host the Washington Redskins on Monday night at Lincoln Financial Field.

The Eagles (5-1) have won four in a row and will complete a sweep of the Redskins (3-2) with another victory. Philadelphia won the season opener 30-17 at Washington.

After a hard-fought victory on the road against the Los Angeles Chargers, the Eagles responded with a gritty 28-23 win at Carolina last Thursday night.

"It's a tremendous testament to those players in that locker room," Eagles coach Doug Pederson told reporters after the win against the Panthers. "I told them tonight after the game I haven't been part of a team that has battled through so much injury and adversity to be in the first month of the season, month and a half of the season, the resiliency of the football team started to show last year at the end of the year.

"They're learning from last year. They're learning how to finish games and just the overall consistency from the leaders leading this football team. They are sacrificing each other -- themselves for the football team. It's a fun thing to watch."

The Eagles could receive a boost against Washington with the potential return of right tackle Lane Johnson and running back Wendell Smallwood. Both players practiced Tuesday as Johnson cleared concussion protocol and the swelling subsided in Smallwood's knee.

Second-year quarterback Carson Wentz continued his stellar play against Carolina and improved his season numbers -- 126 of 207 for 1,584 yards with 13 touchdowns and three interceptions. Those statistics have vaulted him into the early conversation for the league's Most Valuable Player award.

"Having a year together with this team, under Coach, myself, everything, we're just built differently," Wentz told reporters. "We have a different character makeup in that locker room, and we just have a bunch of guys that believe that no matter the situation we can find a way to win a ballgame."

Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich was asked at his press conference Tuesday if Wentz's emergence is rare for a young player.

"Yeah, I think it's rare," Reich said. "I mean, I think those players are rare, and I think it's rare in Carson's standpoint, and obviously as confident that I feel like that's no fluke and that there's further to go down that path to go for him and that he's going to make it all the way to the end of that path, as confident as I am of that, you've still got to go out and prove it every day."

The Redskins pushed above .500 at 3-2 following a 26-24 victory over the San Francisco 49ers. They jumped out to a 17-0 advantage and had to rally to pull out the victory.

"Obviously, you want to close them out and put your foot on their throat, but it doesn't always work out," Redskins coach Jay Gruden told the Washington Post. "They have 46 guys on their team that are trying not to allow that to happen. They just made some plays. We made some unfortunate penalties and turnovers. The turnover was huge. You've got the ball at the 44-yard line, second and three, instead they've got the ball on your 2-yard line. It's a huge difference."

Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins has been quite efficient this season while completing 105 of 158 passes for 1,334 yards, nine touchdowns and two interceptions.

"We did a good job as an offense," Cousins told the Washington Post. "There were a lot of good decisions, a lot of good plays made, a lot of third-down conversions in big moments, a lot of crucial drives where we had to churn the clock and come away with points. So I was proud of the way our offense played today. It wasn't perfect. There were a couple of mistakes, but all in all, we did a lot of good things."

The injury bug could be a problem for the Redskins heading into this crucial matchup.

Starting cornerbacks Bashaud Breeland (knee) and Josh Norman (rib) are both questionable as is running back Rob Kelley (ankle). Defensive lineman Jonathan Allen is already out with a Lisfranc injury and he may be lost for the season.

In addition, the Redskins will feature newly signed kicker Nick Rose, who has never competed in an NFL game. He has previously been cut by the Atlanta Falcons and 49ers. Dustin Hopkins was placed on injured reserve to make room for Rose.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

I picked the Redskins in pick 'em, but Josh Norman being out might change my mind. I don't know, this just feels like a loss. Eagles have had plenty of time to hear about how awesome they are, so this seems like a typical back-to-Earth loss. I'm probably just being pessimistic.

Yeah it does have that feeling, the Eagles should win this game on paper and this is the kind of game that the elite teams come in and take care of business against a banged up division rival. On the other hand, the Skins are one of the better teams not just in the division but in the conference and they know how hard it's going to be to win the division and get a home playoff game if they lose this one. I'm not off the Eagles bandwagon if they lose but it would probably be time to table the super bowl talk for a while if they drop this game.

Eagles 33

Washington 31

I just don't see the Redskins keeping up with the Eagles offense. I like both teams' defenses (with or without Darby/Norman) but Cousins is still working out the kinks with Pryor, you never know if Reed is going to be effective because injuries, and Josh Doctson is a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde personality, so far. I really like this Thompson the 'skins have at RB but the Eagles defense has been the second best I've seen so far this year behind Minnesota's, and god knows how good they'll be when Darby returns. If the Eagles defense plays disciplined and the offense continues to control the clock, I just don't see a loss here unless Wentz has his first bad game of the season. That is definitely possible but this game is also in Philadelphia, where the Eagles have been stellar at full strength these past 2 seasons.

:Eagles: 33

:Redskins: 20

Edited by BwareDWare94

Bump. Let's restart the discussion before kickoff

Kirk Cousins no respect tour continues in Philadelphia!

:Redskins: 30

:Eagles: 26

What the actual fuck. Two horrible calls against the Eagles in between 2 actual penalties. Yes, there is an agenda, here

3 legit penalties out of 4. Ed Hochuli is just warming up his guns.

It's not a block in the back to continue through a block as the defensive player turns around. And it most certainly isn't holding to throw a guy to the ground.

2 bullshit penalties. God I hate high-penalty crews. It ruins the game.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Whatever the case may be, this is looking to be a sloppy and fun filled game.

They call every little thing on Philadelphia then ignore a blatant late hit on Washington on that last play. This is getting obvious...

C'mon Bware, nothing about that weak ass DPI call? 4 points right there.

You can't hold the guys arms down...

Holy fuck Wentz launched that shit to Hollins. Never saw him generate that much power before.

His deep ball is beautiful when he can set up like that

Carson Wentz is pretty good.

From the neck up, Carson Wentz is a special player.

He's a much smarter Cam Newton

He's a much smarter Cam Newton

Eh, I think Newton is a much natural runner with the football. I know they have similar measurables but Newton is more athletic and I would say he has more arm talent than Wentz too. That's not a knock on Wentz either because Cam is an absolute freak of nature. Wentz has a lot of physical talent but what makes him is his work ethic and intelligence and his poise. While his accuracy is still inconsistent, mentally he's on the same level as the most elite QB's in the game in his second year. If this dude works out that one flaw in his game he's going to be absolutely unstoppable.

Don't get carried away. Wentz has size but it doesn't mean he has the arm talent or running ability of Cam. He's a way better passer, though. Give me Wentz over Cam any day if I'm drafting a franchise quarterback. Short game is nearly impeccable and he's rounding out his intermediate/deep passing game. Pocket presence has significantly improved in just a year.

• Upvote 1

You do a great job with your film review man, but that's why some teams put so much stock into pre-draft interviews. Hard to be a scout when you don't have access to these guys to talk to them. Conversely guys going to certain coaching staff's can make you look like an asshole one way or the other. Tough business haha.

Yeah, it's definitely difficult to try to judge the mentality of a lot of these guys without being able to sit down and talk to them. I think I'm going to start getting a hold of as many interviews and media sessions as possible once draft season kicks off. A lot of good content out there from senior bowl, combine, pro days, and conferences after games. I probably won't keep it documented with my spreadsheets, but I'll keep tabs on it if I notice any character flags based on what I see in those interviews. I also added that character/injury deduction to my spreadsheets so I can flag guys at least a little bit if I see problems off-field.

Really good example of it would be this Michigan State RB LJ Scott who has been arrested for driving without a license seven times. Insane how some of these guys act. I get a lot are immature, but being the same age I just don't understand the mindset of a lot of these guys.

Literally as soon as I posted this I checked my phone and saw Tennessee RB John Kelly got hit with misdemeanor drug possession. :slingblade:

Edited by Chernobyl426

JT Barrett has the right mindset... to be a coach maybe.