Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Texans owner Bob McNair with an awful remark

Yikes. Not the best metaphor, Bob!

I thought Richard Sherman's reaction was spot on:

I appreciate when people like that show who they are. More people in the world need to be that open and that candid about how they truly feel so you can identify them and make sure you stay away from those kinds of people and keep those kinds of people out of power. But, of course, they've got to sit back and apologize because it's politically correct to apologize, but eventually, you've got to take people for their word and for who they are. For most players, even once we apologize, they still take what we said and judge us by it, so you should do the same with him.

YES! If a player makes an illegal hit, we call him a dirty player. He apologizes because he has to, and we still call him a dirty player. Damn right, Sherman.

Article with more from Sherman: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21187946/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-says-houston-texans-owner-bob-mcnair-showed-true-self

• Upvote 1

Normally, I'd be like "eh it's a saying I have heard before, he just misused it" but I do get those (literal) vibes from a couple NFL owners.

Its a fairy popular expression of speech. I dont think he meant it the way people are perceiving it to be. Regardless a pretty poor choice of expressions to use.

Hard to know 100% what he meant, but yea, these guys need to think more before they open their mouths.

Yes, it's a commonly used expression, but just because it's a commonly used expression doesn't mean it's an appropriate one in all circumstances. When you've got mostly black players protesting (and mostly black here doesn't just refer to the players that are protesting) for the way that police are treating black people in this country, it's best not to refer to those players as inmates. It's shit like this that makes me have absolutely no interest in being any sort of public figure. You've gotta think through every single word you say and this is a scenario where McNair just didn't take the two seconds to think before he opened his mouth. I'm sure he said this a few times in private before he said it to a reporter, and he should have realized at that point that it's not a phrase he could use publicly.

• Upvote 1

I don't think he meant as it was taken. I think that it was more about saying we can't let the players start dictating to the league. A man in his position should be concerned because of the money at stake if the players were to control the league.

I don't think it was meant as a racist thing, as it is a super common saying. Would this be as a bigger deal had he said don't let them the asylum? I will say though this was a super stupid thing to say considering the given climate today . I think it was something he should of thought about, but instead it was an off the cuff remark that is being taken to mean something I think is different than his attentions.

Yes, it's a commonly used expression, but just because it's a commonly used expression doesn't mean it's an appropriate one in all circumstances. When you've got mostly black players protesting (and mostly black here doesn't just refer to the players that are protesting) for the way that police are treating black people in this country, it's best not to refer to those players as inmates. It's shit like this that makes me have absolutely no interest in being any sort of public figure. You've gotta think through every single word you say and this is a scenario where McNair just didn't take the two seconds to think before he opened his mouth. I'm sure he said this a few times in private before he said it to a reporter, and he should have realized at that point that it's not a phrase he could use publicly.

This is the problem with this line of thought. Youre only talking about black players and assuming he was only talking about black players. Weve had entire teams knee or stay in for the anthem. Weve seen entire teams lock arms in solidarity and massive popular white players like Aaron Rodgers have come out and supported the kneeing and protests.

If you have to make assumptions and jump to conclusions about what hes saying youre just spinning your own narrative.

Does Bob McNair have a history of saying bigoted things ? Does he have a history of treating his players terribly ?

To my knowledge, both answers are no.

It was a bad time and place to use the expression but I find it hard to believe there was any malice behind it.

Liberal pussies stay being offended by anything and everything.

Does Bob McNair have a history of saying bigoted things ? Does he have a history of treating his players terribly ?

To my knowledge, both answers are no.

Funny thing is, Bob McNair has done more to help out the black community in the greater Houston area than any one single person has in the past 15 years.

It's abaolutely ridiculous that he is being grilled this hard over one figure of speech. Timing is bad yes, but the amount of butthurt over it is embarrassing for this country.

• Upvote 2

Funny thing is, Bob McNair has done more to help out the black community in the greater Houston area than any one single person has in the past 15 years.

It's abaolutely ridiculous that he is being grilled this hard over one figure of speech. Timing is bad yes, but the amount of butthurt over it is embarrassing for this country.

Exactly. I mean, I wasn't aware of his involvement or how far it went, but I did see a tweet from Tony Dungy who vouched for McNair's "good heart". Even though I don't know much about the man, I do know I trust Tony Dungy's judgement.

Ridiculous, indeed.

Liberal pussies stay being offended by anything and everything.

Cheap ass hypocrites continue to refuse to pay a bet after insisting everyone else pay him immediately.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

No the players like saying free speech and 1st Amendment but when the owner says something way out of a context , there all upset... Fuck these Whiney players

Cmon Weapon. I expect that argument on NFL.com comments, not here.

McNair is free to say whatever he wants, that's his free speech. He's not immune to the consequences of his actions. If you really can't see why that statement is a horrible look for him- not even necessarily in a racist way, just owners vs players- I really don't know what to say.

The freedom of speech thing only truly came into play when Trump entered the picture, because the US gov't can't say someone should be fired because of something they said.

Cheap ass hypocrites continue to refuse to pay a bet after insisting everyone else pay him immediately.

You're still hung up on that? :laugh: What an internet injustice warrior you are. Like I said before, Blots will get his money come Hanukkah. Seeing you and a few other pussies be so emotional about a bet on a football message board is hilarious.

You are the pussy, refusing to pay up because of actions of other people who were not involved in the bet at all, whether those actions are justified or not. The bet is between you and Blots. Blots did nothing but point out you have yet to pay, and it's completely hypocritical given how you insisted others immediately pay up when they lost bets.

You are lucky I can't do this, because you'd be banned from the forums at this point if I had that power.

Refusing to pay up on a $50 bet that you welch out on while posting pictures of expensive meals on a trip you paid for yourself doesn't make you some sort of big guy, it makes you look like a complete piece of shit.

Edited by Thanatos

You are the pussy, refusing to pay up because of actions of other people who were not involved in the bet at all, whether those actions are justified or not. The bet is between you and Blots. Blots did nothing but point out you have yet to pay, and it's completely hypocritical given how you insisted others immediately pay up when they lost bets.

You are lucky I can't do this, because you'd be banned from the forums at this point if I had that power.

Refusing to pay up on a $50 bet that you welch out on while posting pictures of expensive meals on a trip you paid for yourself doesn't make you some sort of big guy, it makes you look like a complete piece of shit.

(Off topic as shit)

Don't know when exactly it happened, but sometime in 2016 Phil went from being an okay dude who you could bullshit with on quiet nights to an arrogant cunt. Offers zero legitimate insight and just comes on here to post racist/sexist shit & try to troll Blots about welching on a bet. I don't know if there is anyone else who ever actually changed that much more for the worse with a Trump W. It's like grocery store bagger Phil saw an old white man talking shit and decided to copycat like a six year old. All he's good for nowadays is trying to troll for shock value or gagging on McGregor's Irish cock.

Edited by Chernobyl426
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

(Off topic as shit)

Don't know when exactly it happened, but sometime in 2016 Phil went from being an okay dude who you could bullshit with on quiet nights to an arrogant cunt. Offers zero legitimate insight and just comes on here to post racist/sexist shit & try to troll Blots about welching on a bet. I don't know if there is anyone else who ever actually changed that much more for the worse with a Trump W. It's like grocery store bagger Phil saw an old white man talking shit and decided to copycat like a six year old. All he's good for nowadays is trying to troll for shock value or gagging on McGregor's Irish cock.

Dude.... what are you so mad about? ''Offers zero legitimate insight''lol... to begin with, I post less than 10 times per month. And considering I've lost A LOT of interest in the NFL, I'm not really inclined to ''offer legitimate insight''. And ''trying to troll for shock value''? I don't even give a shit about trolling. You neurotic, overly sensitive morons mistake my antagonizing for ''trolling''. The shit I say or do is nothing compared to how I was on message boards from like 2008-2011 when I absolutely bodied people on a daily basis. I'm well past that now.

And here's something to know... 2015 and 2016 were probably a couple of the shittiest years of my adult life. 2017 has been by far the best because I have a really good job now that I enjoy, I've cut out gambling completely from my life, I've had some great experiences and memories this entire year, and I've never been more confident. So some 19 year old kid from East Bumblefuck that role plays as a pro football scout saying ''I've changed for the worse'' means nothing to me. Maybe your anger is just directed at the fact that I get to enjoy upscale things. Here's the thing... I work my ass off week in and week out. For example, this past Friday I worked from 5:30 am to 4:30 pm and had to do an overnight job from 12-2 am... and I did a job in NYC the next morning. I work and earn for all these experiences, kid.

• Downvote 1

I work my ass off week in and week out. For example, this past Friday I worked from 5:30 am to 4:30 pm and had to do an overnight job from 12-2 am... and I did a job in NYC the next morning. I work and earn for all these experiences, kid.

Good for you man. I could care less about the whole bet. I would pay the shit just to see it go away,alas it won't. That said I always enjoy seeing hard work put in and pay off. Not getting in the middle of the rest of this shit though.

Edited by Omerta
  • Downvote 1

"I cut out gambling"

Ain't the whole thing we talking about the fact you welched on a bet?

The fact you're a bitch about paying a bet speaks to your character, and that's why I say you've changed for the worse. Your word is absolutely meaningless. I don't give a shit if it's a bet that's carried out over the internet, it's still a bet. And you'd have gone for Blots' throat if he didn't pay you on a lost bet.

You think you're hot shit but you're honestly a joke.

Jealous of your "upscale living"? Nah fam. I'm pretty damn content with my lifestyle. I don't have to try and go burn money on overpriced dinners and drinks to feel important.

Edited by Chernobyl426
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Phil and Ngata the worst people ever with bets.

• Upvote 1

Phil and Ngata the worst people ever with bets.

I haven't welched on a bet in my life.

Edited by Omerta